The Corroboree
planthelper

dwarfism catha edulis

this picture shows, 5 Catha (phf2 open pollinated) seedlings, and one of them, shows dwarfism. this is the first time I noticed this with any given plant, under my culture, my luck, I noticed, this early.

2 plants show red narrow leaved traits, than the small plant, and 2 greens.

they are all the same age.

post-70-0-51844400-1370232643_thumb.jpg

dwarf_catha_ edulis.JPG

dwarf_catha_ edulis.JPG

• Like 2

how old would you say they are? Obvious variation in traits have you ever grown out large amounts and counted the % of specific traits would be interesting to know whats dominant etc.

Interesting how you are expanding the genetics of this plant by your breeding experiments planthelper. I guess this little fella wouldn't survive long in the wild, have you seen any seedlings show signs of gigantism? You need to breed a variety with sweet tasting leaves too!

• Like 1

That little guy might make a good candidate for a bonsai specimen ?

• Like 1

Interesting. I have 3 out of 11 that display this dwarfism morphology. These are also from the phf2 open pollinated seeds.

I am after 2 phenotypes, I want a small leaved version with compact dense growth suitable for hedging and a prostrate form of Cat would be sweet. Nice work PH.

Hey PH,

I have a small plant just like the one in your photo. Never thought that much about it. There was lots of morphological variation from the batch of seeds that it came from - from whites to reds to greens and many different growth habits. When I get some time I will take some photos to demonstrate this variation.