The Corroboree
botanika

Man-made noise disrupts the growth of plants and trees

Reminded me of this

Bird imitating a car alarm

Lyebirds are pretty amazing. I remember camping in the watagans one time and awakening in my tent I heard a progression of different birds - kurrawongs, magpies, rosellas etc and was thinking 'wow all these different birds are visiting the trees around me in succession...so many types of birds they must all have a schedule' Got out of the tent and it was a lyrebird.

• Like 1

nice to see the adaptability of nature,... but we seem to be fucking it over faster then it seems to adapt.

• Like 1

Everything in the environment affects everything else; this much is clear from anyone who has the smallest amount of observation skills. I'm just not sure why we need science to explain it. Still, I guess it's interesting to know the extent of it - not that many people seem to care too much. If you spend enough time arguing the scientific case (like with climate change) you quickly find that people will downplay any adverse affects we might be causing in favour of profit making ventures.

I'm sure, for example, that electro-magnetive waves have an important impact on the physiology and functioning of many species (including humans). I'm quite sensitive to these things, and when I spent time out of the range of mobile phones etc. I quickly lost my irritability and began to think very, very clearly. The hustle and bustle of ciivilisation has long been known to have negative affects on people (possibly even just the never-ending noise and dust) so that in order to gain "the truth" monks and other wise men went out in to the desert, the tops of mountains etc. Sadly, these places are becoming increasingly smaller and soon there won't be anywhere to go to get peace.

Why people might believe that our racket, light and electricity wouldn't have a (negative) impact on our own and other creatures physiological functioning is somewhat beyond me.

• Like 1

maybe we should be making human desturbing infrasound devices,.. disturb their sleep every night lol........ point it at people we really dont like. I mean if I am going to have negative karma anyway,... then I just might better make some karma that I can easily accept.

maybe we should be making human desturbing infrasound devices,.. disturb their sleep every night lol........ point it at people we really dont like. I mean if I am going to have negative karma anyway,... then I just might better make some karma that I can easily accept.

I hope you didn't think I was pointing that post at you.. I was having a crank generally at society. You don't need to point anything specifically at people, most people are so generally cranky because their environment is so shit they need alcohol to drown out the fact they are unhappy. At least, that's my not so humble opinion.

We do it to ourselves, and we don't even realise it.

• Like 1

I hope you didn't think I was pointing that post at you..  I was having a crank generally at society.  You don't need to point anything specifically at people, most people are so generally cranky because their environment is so shit they need alcohol to drown out the fact they are unhappy.  At least, that's my not so humble opinion.

We do it to ourselves, and we don't even realise it.

That's right we are not immune from the static of our industrial cities either.

By living in the city you're 400% more likely to suffer from schizophrenia, who knows how that affects animals. I'm sure if you captured animals from the city and released them in the wild next to other wild animals they'd present what we'd consider 'psychotic symptoms'. I'd be more inclined to call it adaptability(or lack of when releasing an already adapted animal into the wild) but whatever.

Silent discos in the bush are more environmentally friendly.