The Corroboree

Hi guys, I've been helping somebody finish off there first tapestry and I really want to give it a go. It was a fractal type peice that was got from a generic craft store. We both wanna do something a little bit more up our alleys and have been browsing through both north and South American tapestries, and love the peyote works and all the cactus worship in general.

My question is does anybody know how to turn a picture into a design or of any sources to buy entheogen designs? A lady at work mentioned a computer program that can do it for you, but she hasn't used it in years and can't even remember what it's called...

Thanks in advance

Ps- if you google images Shipibo art you will see some fine examples.. I am still trying to track down the cactus tapestry pics but will link when I can!

Edited by prioritise

I haven't actually done any tapestries yet, but because I have plans to do some, I've been preparing patters for it. What I do is look at the dimensions of the aida cloth, canvas, mesh, or whatever, and divide the dimensions of the cloth by the thread count to get the total number of 'pixels' along each dimension. Then I take the image I wan't to use and resample it to the resolution of the mesh. Then I work out how many colours I want to work with, and reduce the colour depth of the image to match roughly the number of colours I want to work with. I use paint shop pro for these tasks, and after reducing the colour depth to, say, 16 colour, there is a palette that shows all the colours that have been used in the resampling. Some may not occur in your image, but it provides a guide for colour matching with threads.

It's also worth considering the different resampling algorithms. Nearest neighbour colour mapping will produce large areas of each colour, and is probably best for tapestry. More sophisticated interpolation methods produce a grainy effect that may require a tedious number of single stitches of each colour.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know how you go and show us your results. :)

• Like 1

Thanks ballzac, sounds like something my girl can help me with, she's proficient at photoshop editing etc. that's a great tip thanks alot! I will be sure to keep the thread updated, ill be purchasing my first lot of gear this weekend and will post some pictures.