The Corroboree

I picked up a pencil the other day and started sketching. I've done pencil drawings in the past, but was never any good at portraiture. For some reason I am suddenly 100 times better than I ever was in the past. I am enjoying this form of expression and will probably try my hand at painting in the near future. I showed a few of these to my Dad and his thoughts were very positive, which I take as a real complement because he's not someone who is good at lying about such things. I'm just curious what others here think of these sketches. Some of the HB ones didn't scan that well and ended up looking washed out, but I will probably post them anyway. This first one is 2B. 2B makes a better sketch anyway, but it also scanned much better.

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 3

These ones were done in HB. I've monkeyed about with them in psp to improve the contrast of the scanned images, but they still don't look as good as they do on paper. There is one here that doesn't look at all like the person it's meant to be, but I think it's one of the most interesting of the lot due to the stylistic approach. I won't embarrass myself by saying who it's meant to be, but the fedora will probably give it away anyway ;)

EDIT: See post 8 for these sketches.

Edited by ballzac

I really like the first one ballzac. I don't know if it is the proportions or the subject, but you are onto something with that one.

It looks like you are working from photographs. I would really encourage you to find a real-life subject...you will notice the difference is immense. There is no comparison between working from photographs and real-life...so much more will naturally evolve from a sitter.

If I were you I would sign up for some group 'life' classes and see how you go.

Also check out the portraits of Lucien Freud (Sigmund's grandson). I think you might get a kick out his work.

Is that first one Leonard Nemoy? It's all nice work, bro.

Drawing and music are (in my opinion) still the greatest gifts we have been given as humans. Fire... meh. The wheel.... practical. Corporate structures.... need I say more?

But art.... art is amazing. Keep it going man!!!

<edit> um... actually, fire is pretty good. I probably wouldn't feel like creating art if I was too cold, so scrap that comment <edit>

Edited by Rabaelthazar

Thanks for the encouragement guys :)

It looks like you are working from photographs. I would really encourage you to find a real-life subject...you will notice the difference is immense. There is no comparison between working from photographs and real-life...so much more will naturally evolve from a sitter.

If I were you I would sign up for some group 'life' classes and see how you go.

Also check out the portraits of Lucien Freud (Sigmund's grandson). I think you might get a kick out his work.

You're probably right, but photos are a good way to have instant access to a plethora of subjects. I may take that advice after more practice when I feel more confident. And thanks for the link too :)

Is that first one Leonard Nemoy?

It's meant to be Pete Postlethwaite. In fact, it's from one of the first photos that come up if you google him. Fortunately, I'm more interested in visual impact and 'soul' than likeness at the moment :blush:

Edited by ballzac

They came out better when I just took a photo of them. Here they are again, with a couple of others:

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 3

I think what makes the Postlethwaite one so good is the lighting. It's an unusual angle that the lights coming from, and it somehow makes it bolder and gives it more 'presence'. In fact, the final touch was a subtle enhancement of the highlights above his chin, under his lip, and under his cheek with an eraser, and it really intensified this effect.

They are all great. Did you do art school Ballzac or is this a natural talent ?

I haven't studied any art since year 10 art class I think. Back then I got a fair bit of advice from my dad, and had a bit of a knack with pencil drawings of simple things (mostly rooms in my house). However, I never 'got' portraiture. Somehow when I picked up a pencil the other day, all the things my dad had explained to me in the past about how to do a portrait suddenly made a lot more sense. Like I said in the OP, I am suddenly 100X better at this than I was last time I picked up a pencil. I'm actually amazed that I can suddenly do this, and quite excited about it. I don't recall having a head injury recently :scratchhead: lol.

EDIT: Deleted to avoid my SAB being able to be associated with my full name.

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 1

this is pretty good work, especially if you were never seriously into it. You obviously have a talent that I know I have not. Don't burry it again, advance it, let it make your life more exciting and interesting !

...oops, wrong thread.

Edited by ballzac

Thanks mutant. I think I will keep at it :)

Wow those are amazing! I used to do a lot of pencil sketch portraits mostly out of pure laziness rather than not wanting to finish them lol.

Have you got some black sketch paper? If you don't, get some, and some pens and pencils that'll show up, and chalk or crayon and you'll have an absolute blast. Hope any of this doesn't sound patronising like you don't know wtf you're doin' :lol:

Edit:

VVV

Yeah I used to love doing those in primary school. The first one I made I etched out a pony's head (lol typical 2nd grade girl).

Edited by FancyPants

haha, nah all suggestions are well and truly welcome. Never tried working on black paper, but conte crayons would probably come up really nice on it. Something to try when I get to an art shop. An exercise we did a school was to cover a piece of paper completely with random patterns using various colours of crayon and then spray paint it black. Then sketch using a hobby knife or something to scrape away the black paint. You basically end up with a sketch made up of random colours. Pretty cool technique.

EDIT: Deleted to avoid my SAB being able to be associated with my full name.

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 1

EDIT: Looking back at this one in the light of day, it seems somewhat unfinished. I will probably work on it more...particularly around the eyes which look flat.

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 3

Digital portrait:

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 3

Realistic eye close-up.

EDIT: Deleted to avoid my SAB being able to be associated with my full name. PM me if you wan't to see any of the drawings I've removed.

Edited by ballzac
  • Like 4

From what I understand about sketching, if you keep practicing you will get better and better. Have you tried any still lifes or charcoal?

Check out Van Gogh's sketches, awesome style and seemingly so simple.

wheat-field-with-mower-and-a-stooping-pe
Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 3

Have you tried any still lifes or charcoal?

Post #19 and #20 are charcoal. It's got some great properties, like the ability to do strong blacks, and the ability to get very soft shading, but at the moment I'm trying to work on my realism, and pencils are better for doing the level of detail required. Also, I'm sticking with portraits at the moment. I've always found them difficult compared to other subject matter, and I'm finding it really rewarding to improve these. :)

i know your dad is a brilliant artist as well, i wonder if your children have been lucky to inherit this skill.

• Like 1