The Corroboree
bit

What did you do to your cacti today?

Hey guys

Thought I'd start this off to discuss some of the day to day care of our cacti which doesn't warrant it's own separate thread. The idea being we can learn from each other's experiences and rituals. Pictures are all good too!

I'll start off (although no pics) -

Today being Sunday, I had almost a whole day free. My pots out the back were very overgrown with weeds. I spent the afternoon weeding (I use needle-nose pliers for weeding) most of my pots.

I also acquired 3 rooted stumps from some well established (before being cut down) plants - 1x bridgesoid and 2x taquiblensis. I potted these into suitable pots. Looking forward to seeing these take off - I can almost feel the power in the root balls :)

I found some flexible 30litre tubs at the Warehouse for $5 each, plus square plastic buckets - 12litre - for $2.20 each. Testing these out, beats paying $25 for a similar size plastic 'pot'

Then fed the entire herd with miracle-grow.

Edited by bit
  • Like 3

I finished making my herb garden and planting some cactii in their pots into the ground. i'm renting and don't want to disturb the roots when I move so left them in their pots.

Also planted two cuttings.

post-7703-0-49240700-1321169119_thumb.jp

post-7703-0-89698000-1321169299_thumb.jp

post-7703-0-49240700-1321169119_thumb.jpg

post-7703-0-89698000-1321169299_thumb.jpg

post-7703-0-49240700-1321169119_thumb.jpg

post-7703-0-89698000-1321169299_thumb.jpg

Edited by OPP
  • Like 2

I moved a short cut that ive been trying to root for months inside. Hoping that drying out the soil will help.

The silly thing has a massive pup on it and NOT ONE ROOT :BANGHEAD2:

Those babys in above pic look familiar

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 1

Timely thread for me right now. I just repotted almost all of my cacti today. There are a few that are in big pots and I need to go out and get bigger ones for them, and a few others I didn't get around to doing, but it must've been more than a hundred repotted today I reckon. I was a bit lazy last year because I was moving around the time I normally do this, and also didn't have money for pots/soil, so a lot of these hadn't been done for almost two years.

• Like 2

I woke up and checked out properly my plants (just got back home). A few had been fed on by slugs and snails. ;_;

It seems that the snails and slugs have particularly favourite clones, as there might be 3 plants of the same clone at various places, all of which have been munched, or for another clone none of which have been munched. I really wonder how they select which plants are their favourite (i.e. are they hungry? or are they wanting to view the world a different way?)

I weeded all the plants, and sliced 3 cuttings to dry, and fertilized the rest and watered most. I also potted 2 cuttings which had been drying for a while.

Tomorrow will be getting the rest of my new plants, and potting them up. Hopefully this will go well. :)

• Like 1

Rained most of the day but had a sunny patch in between showers, so after I took the kids for a scooter/stroller ride they helped me use about 65L of mix to pot up 20 odd cactus. Some had roots a foot long hanging out the bottom so yeah like zacs a bit overdue.

This is the second wave, I had already used 165L of mix & still have heaps to go...

• Like 1

I havent had my meds today so i spent most of time with my garden just stroking and admiring the new growth on my cacti :) One pup in particular

post-7386-0-77396800-1321176225_thumb.jp

It has grown quite a bit since then butyou get the gist

Apart from that,

A bit of weeding and propagating succulents but im putting off this weeks fert until after it rains tonight/tomorrow.

Plant wise i did heaps of planting out, fert, repotting and stuff.

Got some acacia and bamboo in the ground

post-7386-0-77396800-1321176225_thumb.jpg

post-7386-0-77396800-1321176225_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Fed my Peyotes and cut the caapi vine back as it was starting to shade them out.

Also let my daughter feel the soft tufts on a couple of buttons when she was crying and it made her happy again. Very therapeutic those buttons.

• Like 6

Well it was not today but a few months ago, and when I was still in Oz, but this is what I last did with my cacti:

Before:

post-6519-0-64344200-1321181474_thumb.jp

After:

post-6519-0-07499300-1321181737_thumb.jp

Took a whole weekend to prepare the soil, it was infested with bulbs and roots and rocks, mighty tough work! Transplanting the cacti into the ground is a difficult task, and in rushing I got a couple of bridgesii and peruvianus spines in my fingers. Had to smash one of the small terracotta pots as the cactus was so root bound it wouldn't budge.

Miss these guys, hopefully there is lots of rain in SE QLD over the summer to keep them happy. Would be awesome to come home to a thriving garden full of cacti :wub:

post-6519-0-64344200-1321181474_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-07499300-1321181737_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-64344200-1321181474_thumb.jpg

post-6519-0-07499300-1321181737_thumb.jpg

Edited by kalika
  • Like 4

Gave all mine a tip spray of systemic insecticide, usually a once a month job. Tommorrow is ferts, seasol with a dash of monsta bud (hoping to induce some flowers), a once a week job in the growing season. :)

Edited by Bretloth

I got a possum problem. The bastards bit my loph, (without removing flesh) bit the flower from it that was just about to fruit, took a chunk outa my san pedro and ripped some of my kanna out of the pots they were in. I moved the pots so they are kinda safe now, and I know that there animals doing their thing and they don't know any better, but I still sure hate those bloody animals...

also a lot of systemic insecticides are pretty old, more toxic or bioacumulative then non systemic chemicals. if your planning to consume any of the part of the plant, be sure to research the chemical's half life before munching on it. They're MENT to BE safe, but best to be safe then sorry. Being in the industry, I know how dodgy pretty much all these chemical companies are, specially bayer and basf, while dupont seems to be the most open and trust worthy. Anyway, better stop ranting lol

• Like 1

Any jobs going at Du Pont ubza? :P

• Like 2

Fed and watered the indoor herd (Trichos, Lophs and other miniatures..)

Went round the outdoor boys and cleaned off all the grass cuttings after using the weedeater round em.

Things are looking good.

today consisted of picking the crusty fluff off the top of my copiapoa.

grafting a few trich seedlings, some photos of my gymno and pedro in flower.....

:devil: :devil: and then i took my finest machete and executed the macrogonus I believe responsible for my injury, it was sweet revenge. I should have been more forgiving.... but.....

I chopped it into a hundred pieces :innocent_n:

(edit) i then put all the material lawfully into the bin*

Edited by tipz
  • Like 2

Lucky I got a cut of that malicous macro before the retribution :) Man, must have hurt. Them spines are fucking nasty Tipz, hope you're feeling better bro!

Did you try Thars ointment? I was pretending to be a star wars character with a broomstick and my hand was soon rife with splinters...

have found it quite good at ridding them.

Peace

Edited by george_667

spread dynamic lifter and mulched heavily with straw all the inground cacti and khats.

Reorganized the cacti garden and gave em' a water. Benefit of being orderly is I have more space for more cacti!!!! :devil:

Potted about 8 new plants, and fed them and the others liquid fertilizer (some Burnett's stuff, smells weird). About 2 hours ago went out with a torch and squashed about 8 slugs and one snail. If only they realized that I wouldn't kill them if they just went for the crappy cactuses. In fact I'd grow nice lettuce and let them live a life of luxury - so long as they don't eat any seedlings or rare cacti.

about 1/3rd strength fert today. they look nice :)

Lucky I got a cut of that malicous macro before the retribution :) Man, must have hurt. Them spines are fucking nasty Tipz, hope you're feeling better bro!

I left enough for it to start pupping again :wink:

• Like 1

Today i was more busy. Caught a snail in my Cactusroom. Sounds not that dramatic but it was a very fast and agressive one. B)

But all the joking aside...its the german winter now and my cacti are in their dark winter quarters. So no gardening till early March or so. But i will start sowing my seedlings soon. Actually i dint want to start until january but all the good growers molested me to start earlier because that would allegedly higher the growth rate immensely. And i tend to believe em. Will plant like heaps this year. Mostly Echinopsis hybrids though. Im getting away from the classical Tricho hybrids because i want Tricho Hybrids that flower at a very early age. Like 2-3 years or so. I have a good gene pool so i´m pretty sure i will produce some nice hybrids next year. Will keep you updated about my crosses.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 7