The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

teonanacatl

Why would anyone have a cat as a pet!

If I came into your property without your permission then I would be trespassing.. Same applies to a cat in terms of leaving it's registered property. It is going somewhere it is not supposed to be....

Your saying that your a cat? Seriously you cant just throw around the same terminology for everything. Is it also possible for a marshmallow to trespass?

Also the 12ft fence was chicken wire, hence "climb" as apposed to "jump". My point being, dogs and cats are very similar in terms of escaping and roaming. roaming dogs are also a serious risk to the safety of others, not just the wild life.

Where I am staying now there is not rule against cats roaming.

But in ipswich there is:

http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/residents/animals/cats/roaming

Too all the responsible dog and cat owners out there thank you!

Re the trespassing: Victorian law

http://www.lawhandbook.org.au/handbook/ch10s02s07.php

Animal trespass

If your animals stray onto your neighbour's land, it is likely that you will be responsible for any damage that they cause. It does not matter that you were not negligent or didn't know what was happening.

You have a defence where the act results from "an act of God" (due to natural causes and which no human foresight could have guarded against, e.g. a wild storm blows your fences down) or the act of a stranger. Damage includes damage to land, crops, people and livestock (including misbreeding in the case of livestock).

If your neighbour tells you that your animals have strayed and you do not go and collect them, the law allows your neighbour to keep your animals until you have paid for any damage that they have caused.

Also from the same link:

Dog attacks

Under section 29(6) of the DA an owner of a dog is also guilty of an offence if their dog rushes at, attacks, bites, worries or chases any other person or animal. The penalty for this offence is up to 10 pu. However, the offence is not made out if the dog was reacting to teasing, abuse or assault of it or a person known to it, or if a person or another animal was trespassing on its premises (s 29(9)).

maybe its the way they look and behave ... and how easy they are to keep successfully ..

thus the "good risk/damage minimisation for potential heartache" and the longevity of kittys: being within reach of many.

The snug factor without the smell of mutt sweat or woof guff/meaty farts; is highly attractive in kittys

kitty's are far less offensive than most "pets" as a general trend and are equally happy in a flat/appt/bungalow as they would be in a castle or ranch

on the subject of the usual alternative pet... for a comparison, and so as to elaborate:

many dogs are a bit heavy curled up in the small of your back for long, especially rottweilers...

and when they commandeer your bed while you're asleep ... they bloody ...stretch their legs ...

it tends to kick ya out of bed - or close enough...,

or they sneeze on you to wake you .., (kittys can do that but its usually bearable and less wet)

or they decide your ear needs the power of a rolled up tongue penetrating it :angry: (kittys refrain from this a lot faster than dogs)

they're lucky they're so awesome in other ways.. and I'm sure they mean well with the licking ... : /

kittys are far more grateful in bed :P and take up less room , still not without risk though ,

their little hand knives are sharper than some words!

and ill bet there's only 2 dog owners over here, who bag it and bin it . - judging by the streets in every estate from the north to the south

... even most private ones, and fuck tryna take a nice stroll through any local woods without your eyes glued firmly to the dog shit detector watch ..

sometimes its hillarious when a dog has shit up a wall and it sticks, and doesn't fall down

but that doesn't score any points for them over kittys :lol:

and its definitely not funny when you get that shudder up your back ,if you're walking in the dark... from treading in something

a little too soft and heavy for most mud/acceptable soils...

dogs are definitely cool though ,and some are particularly good looking

not many could earn the love a kitty does relatively in my view ,,,

but the odd one now and then most definitely does... and very well too

for another comparison ...seing as i snook one in ;)

kitty's are like .... a yowie :P , very wild yet soooo friendly to the touch - enough to want to cuddle one ,

and adoreable and perfect in every way,

and our skills are no match for their Hokuto shin-ken or their Nanto sei-ken :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_mKY2CQ9Kk&html5=1

i think so too , its nice tho , i like that folk are different ,

and this was a lot nicer way to see someone seeing kittys in a light i would reserve for non-kittys

i hate them hunting birds too tho and really feel you , and have done on that since i was a little kid

, i dont quite know how for sure , but the kitty i inherited: used to kill a lottt of birds at the previous owner's garden ,

they had a dog that stole the cats food and bullyed her so i guess the cat was really hungry AND neglected..

since ive had her a few years now (maybe 3 or 4, bad with time - lol) and i knew her for 7 years prior to that

(used to shoulder ride me and follow me home)

, shes grown huge (13 yr old now) and is well fed. I try to have her with me at all times too

and I go out with her when she goes out

This allows for 15hrs a day spare, while she sleeps (lol apparently they need this 15hours).

She will go on walks with me like a dog x] minus the lead ... and just be happy for the adventure

only real issue is encountering other territorial kittys and dogs (that are not on leads) with less-than-astute owners

(which leaves plenny of scope).

She has only killed 2 birds since being with me , and its been just over a year now without a kill

i dont know if its just because shes getting old , or because she's happier and feels less need to go slay ,

maybe its the bonemeal I give her ?..

either way shes moved from 20sqM city bungalow to a 1acre bird sanctuary 'burbs' garden

established since the 60s by a loving RSPB member (my grancha)

so has plenty more to choose from yet still doesn't bother ...

but then they all have diff personalities anyway.

Maybe the neighbours kitty is not getting enough toys or hunting practice from owners who may not

have time to drag a thread of tissue round the place for fun ...and to hone kittys skills in a fun way

or perhaps not getting enough from their food/not getting enough food ....

or learning how to survive just in case... the little preppers x]

maybe going out sneakily and clapping your hands to distract it and make it think twice about hunting there?

thing is though, are they gna go and do it elsewhere ...

maybe befriending it and distracting it that way would be better long term ?

and perhaps allowing yourself to be noticed petting the cat (if possible)

this would depend on how reasonable the neighbours were i guess .....but assuming they are...

perhaps after you're a known friendly (as far as the neighbour is concerned) , maybe they wont mind if you ramp it up a notch

from, say: clapping your hands.... to a little blast of voice, usually kittys tend to be most distracted if you can say FSSSSS!

really loud (or as loud as you deem necc') and its less annoying to any possible humans close by than:

"FAKKIN OI STOP KILLING THE POOR BIIIIRDS!! you little fknbstrd!"

For some reason the FSSSSS! (imagine opening a 2 litre bottle of coke)

is like a disengage to their one track mind's path and seems the only thing that worked reliably to distract mine from any undesireable behaviour... , and the kittys I had in the past

...they might look at you as if to say "fkr! i nearly had that"

but might save a bird or two now and then which is bound to help nature both ways , unless its an issue of the cat being hungry

Also from the same link:

Dog attacks

Under section 29(6) of the DA an owner of a dog is also guilty of an offence if their dog rushes at, attacks, bites, worries or chases any other person or animal. The penalty for this offence is up to 10 pu. However, the offence is not made out if the dog was reacting to teasing, abuse or assault of it or a person known to it, or if a person or another animal was trespassing on its premises (s 29(9)).

oooh i really like that one , nice one Oz!

, as far as I'm aware after 30 yrs ...

here in uk its not as good

ive seen spiteful folk tease/terrorise dogs to get them to attack... and the dog gets put down , which is awful

and costs the dog its life -

just so some git can get one upmanship on somebody they deem as less of a human than themselves

the added shitmanship exterior to the dogs life/role, often goes unnoticed but i guess that's another story

hey what about an electronic cat deterrent ?

they even have em on shops here to deter teenagers (with a pitch only those under 21 can hear apparently - I can still hear them lol)

I gather some things like this exist for mosquitoes too but dnno how effective they are for that ...

I can still hear the high pitch cat deterrents and I've seen them both work and fail

but it might be worth a shot?

catwatch_diagram.jpgBatterty-operated-cat-deterrents-for-gar

and holy crap I dnno why I didnt think to mention , but garden sprinklers DEFINITELY work against kittys

-in a rather humane way too

-albeit somewhat comical when theyre on a sensor

hey what about an electronic cat deterrent ?

ps. It does seem appropriate karma that Craig Turner punched himself in the face several times during the making of this video

pps. Irresponsible cat owners make Pusheen angry

2mfnejo.gif

Why would anyone have a cat?

Simple - because intelligent people see the benefits from owning a pet and cats are a pet that has it's own distinctive, way of doing things.

Personally i just adore how a cat is it's own animal - it will do what it likes when it likes..... and we like that whole loner outlaw things our cat gets up to. Like i've previously stated in that other thread, the owner is the arsehole if they don't control their pet, regardless of what type of animal it is, you gots to take responsibility for YOUR animals actions. You brought it home, you got it chipped, you feed it..your the owner, so like anything else in life , don't shirk your responsibility man.

Just like dogs are quite happy to be in a 'pack mentality, the cat is quite happy to be it's own boss -walking, meowing neurotic loner that comes in from the wandering life when it feels like it .Unfortunately, if you've never owned a cat you prolly just think that they're useless little killing machines. Oh quite contrary.

This type of debate always degens into :

"my preference for this type of animal is the right logic while your preference for that type of animal is flawed reasoning "

yawn.

I've owned german shepherds all my life(my first pup was given to me 40 years ago) but we've also always owned cats. My last dearly departed dog would allow my cat to climb up on her back and let her cuddle up when ever she felt like it but when the postie would come to plonk in a letter both the cat and dog would run up to the fence and staunchly 'defend' their patch. twas a sight to behold. Seriously.

The only reason i don't have a dog now is because when my shep pasted away a few years ago i was so heart broken that still to this day i haven't been able to replace her. The thing is, i know with pets they kinda find you, rather that you select them , so, i'm biding my time till a new shep comes into our lives. In the interim, owning a cat has always filled in those gaps. gaps that only a cat can fill.

The following two vids are short and quite entertaining

Dogs can get along with cats look

check out these cool dogs and their owner. no leash but the pack rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPO5t0hdMyg

^^ Well said, Ethereal :)

I love doggies too and the only reason we don't have one now is because the yard is too small. I grew up with cattle dogs which I adore absolutely. Unfortunately we just don't have the room for one in suburbia (since I couldn't give it the exercise it needs). That's why my last doggy was a little Chinese Crested until she died 2 weeks before I moved into the current place. My parents have a gorgeous stumpy tail (not purebred since she has some tan markings) with an incredibly sweet nature. If/when we move north to a place with at least an acre we'll be able to nab one of Hera's (Hair-o-the-dog) pups. We have to settle for two funny bunnies to play with the cats :) All animals are desexed and well-loved, getting plenty of attention and exercise. I'd love a goat when we get that property too, they're just hilarious!

Having said what I've said about making sure OUR yard is secure, I've known plenty of cats who roam freely during the day who are just too damn lazy or uncaring to wander further than their home turf. Quite a few of those cats were afraid of birds too funnily enough.

We had a cat problem when we lived in the city. Would.not.stay.out.of.my.yard i put a note on its collar saying something like your cat is scaring my birds to death, please keep him out of my yard. Then i noticed it didnt come around for weeks and i felt bad thinking about this animal being cooped up rather being in nature. When it finally turned up again i was relieved and kitty and I became friends. Even though im allergic

Arent all modern breeds decedents of the wolf genetically? pritty trippy to think about how the canine has evolved besides homo sapiens and how we have largely controlled that evolution And weird as we dont really know how we have done it per se much as to our own evolution one can suppose :)

I dunno teo i dont really see a problem with your doggies i mean they arent really meant for city/suburban fare, and thats fine. the way i see it anyway they are playing the role largely defined for them by us ie guarding/defending/hunting as has been the norm for the most part till relatively recent times. Not too say the companionship role is relegated in any way and i think that is probably the most endearing quality that first made us contemplate breeding canines to begin with. for the most part i would just keep em away from the city/burbs when and if you can :)

Not really a cat person myself, that said ive cared for several the first one we had was actually a white feral white cat with different coloured eyes who apparently thought we were a good family, which was true we took her in she eventually was put down from cancer years later. Must of had a bad past and not really trusted humans much-at first she would rub up against you than turn and bite you lol usually just after din dins haha. I guess the independence and lack of useful pragmatic uses like barking at intruders etc kinda makes me bias that and toxoplasmosis - which can infect any warm blooded animal or bird but needs cats to reproduce/ proliferate makes me think crazy cat lady lol and we still dont really know the full cognitive/behavioral impacts etc.

Might explain a bit about the other thread yt, good call...

For the record I do like kittycats, and dogs can fuck me off pretty badly at times. Anyway there's not much to add except I liked this topic better the second time around.

a disturbing amount of arrogance here. that is all. out of all the "groups" on our earth, i would never of though such condeluded values could exist here. so much for my concept of plants teaching others to respect the ways of the world and it's animals. how can you even suggest to shoot an animal for doing what it just naturally does?! does this really mean you should shoot a cat when it comes onto your yard? i find this mentality disusting. nature is about balance and diversity. like the burmese python in the everglades, a big problem, is not meant to be here, blah blah blah... all bullshit. it is meant to be there to regain balance. thats why it's the only one that got away after the storm, nature got the chance to use it. and, it is re-gaining balance there. many species thought to be sadly extinct are now being found. how long till they relise it's the way nature is. not an issue, just balance and evolution.

When i was young i was a "dog person" and didnt like cats. at about 35yo, i got a cat. She is the best, hard to even dig a hole without her helping me, if i was to remove the pick and shovel from the equation, she would put me to shame. She is smart and loving. the best friend i could ever ask for. to share my life with her is the greatest honor i can recall. now, i dont care for dogs much. they stink, need attention all the time, they are noisy and generally annoying. they kill more wildlife than any other animal i have observed. My cat talks to other animals and normally shows no interest in going after them. to those that dont like cats, i suggest you get one one day =) if you hadnt already.

We are a part of nature why should we be separated from balancing it?

If you dont like cats youve never met my cat. i love her more than most people. she caught a snake last year. cats are great!

thats a good point. i guess because we tend to act on things out of intolorance and ignorance. nature, as a whole, does not. many years ago as a young child i was once told "it's never the animals fault". i stick by that to this very day. would i interfere with a animal and it's kill? no. would i catch an animal for my cat or another animal? no again. for the same reasons i dont use any pestacides, natural or otherwise. im happy for the bugs to eat what they can, the plants are not "mine", there is always enough for me too, i dont mind the eaten bits at all.

As I said above Ghostly, different strokes for different folks. Instead of being horrified at others views that differ to your own, be grateful that not everyone is the same.

I rely on animals doing what comes naturally, thats how I find them, hunt them, kill them and eat them. My life, my choices, dont judge me I dont judge you.

do you think its about "being horrified at others views that differ to your own"? you think i think all views of others must be inline with mine? sounds like you have NO IDEA what kind of person i am. no idea at all. in fact, you couldnt be further from the truth. wonders why other cultures understand me and aussies never seem able to, no matter how simple i am. guess some can "think" and most just assume. no wonder they are always wrong.

Im sorry Ghostly, you're right, I dont know you aside from your last three posts. Likewise you dont know me, so lets not pretend we do. Maybe someday we will hang out and have a yarn, Im sure we'd get along fine.

I am not big on cats, but when I do like a cat I LOVE it! If I didn't have my staffy I would get a ragdoll, they are so cute and fluffy and cuddly and they are strictly indoor cats, they have no survival instinct whatsoever. I love my little skinks that run around my back porch to much to allow an outdoor cat, as well as all the king parrots, rosellas etc that frequent. With a rag doll that wouldn't be an issue but I'd never forgive myself if my staffy chewed it up.

Whoaaaaaaah who likes to have sex with dogs ghosty? I kinda missed that one!!

All said and done ghosty I haven't spotted a feral cat on my property yet, but if I EVER saw one on it I would get my nephew to shoot it. I freakin love my parrots man. But as teo said, different strokes for different folks.

Alright out with it which forum member liks th dog shlong, I believe ph was having a joke.

I'm with Incog.I love the parrots and other assorted flying critters which inhabit my garden.

Don't seem to have any cats though.

Reckon my 7 month old pup may have something to do with it :wink:

post-10315-0-68269200-1422000388_thumb.j

post-10315-0-69076800-1422000390_thumb.j

post-10315-0-59581000-1422000392_thumb.j

post-10315-0-52990800-1422000394_thumb.j

post-10315-0-16837900-1422000397_thumb.j

Ok I just wanted to show off my beautiful boy who joined my family 5 months ago. But really the cats stay away....

Getafix

post-10315-0-68269200-1422000388_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-69076800-1422000390_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-59581000-1422000392_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-52990800-1422000394_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-16837900-1422000397_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-68269200-1422000388_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-69076800-1422000390_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-59581000-1422000392_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-52990800-1422000394_thumb.jpg

post-10315-0-16837900-1422000397_thumb.jpg