The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Gunter

Need imaging help

MSSmith put together a map of species locations.

I am trying to overlay a map of Incan roads onto it, but have neither the time nor the right software.

here is an Ican road map:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Inca_road_system_map-en.svg
and Smith's map:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/msscacti/2270087488/sizes/o/

Also Smith's map doesn't cover much of Bolivia and Argentina, is anyone interested in doing one a bit more thorough?

This relates to the topic of speciation and the expansion of the Inca. I believe there is a correlation.

Edited by Gunter

that would be difficult to overlay the two images as given,

the incan road map is pretty simple, can't you redraw it with word or something (using the drawing tools)?

I want to simply overlay transparencies after adjusting size, using layers. It would be very easy if I had the software.
I miss photoshop.

I've been hoping to make a map including more than Backeberg's Peruvian Trichocereus, but as with so many things so little time. There should be little doubt that Chavin influence some 2000+ years before the Inca carries the real correlation to the so-called "Inca Trail."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inca_Empire

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav%C3%ADn_culture

~Michael~

here's a pretty rough fit, all i could knock up for now

post-251-0-10701200-1412126865_thumb.jpg

would be a great project to georeference all the available locality data!

You wouldn't happen to have the GPS points for the major parts on the incan map would you?
If you do or could get them it would be easy enough to use something like google maps to mark all the main points, take that image and then draw in the paths between the places.

Interesting gunter.

I would make sure that there is significant evidence that the inca used san pedro before trying to link that culture with speciation of trichocereus sp. I do not think the inca nobility were interested in san pedro at all, but maybe the commonfolk still were. Speciation among coca, certainly. I would look elsewhere for human mediated speciation or diversification of trichocereus in Peru than the inca, as michael is alluding to, I think. It would not suprise me if incan domination of much of peru and northern bolivia circa 1500AD actually suppressed diversification of medicinal cacti and reduced indigenous understanding of san pedro shamanism (and by extension subtle knowledge of san p variants).

I stand to be corrected mind you i haven't really looked into this.

You wouldn't happen to have the GPS points for the major parts on the incan map would you?

If you do or could get them it would be easy enough to use something like google maps to mark all the main points, take that image and then draw in the paths between the places.

I can see it now, detailed maps, roads & gps locations on all the desirable trich plant locations; ripe for rape, thievery & plunder.

Totally agree actually.
Should probably not do this.
Although could be very useful to get a good set of genetic sequences to finally and unambiguously identify individual species.

The idea is to target potential populations for collection of germplasm that has yet to be collected.

There is Incan pottery that suggests they were aware of the plants and employed them.

Anello Oliva wrote in 1630:

“devilish superstition which still endure and is still much used by those people and their rulers. It consists in drinking, to know the good or bad intentions of the others, a potion that they call achuma, which is a water they make mixed with the sap of certain smooth and large thistles that are born in the tropical valleys. They drink it with great ceremonies and chants and, since it is much strong, those who have drunk it remain deprived of their senses and reason, and see visions [...]”

(English translation by F. Sammarco, after Historia del Reino y Provincias del Peru (1631), Imprenta y Libreria de San Pedro, Lima 1895:135, in Polia 1997:12, 253-254

Use of the plants appears to have occurred for thousands of years until present time. I am.curious about regional forms relating to the four sections of the Inca territory at it's height.

I do no want GPS, neither however I paranoid about thieves or government eradicating the plant.

• Like 1

Use of the plants appears to have occurred for thousands of years until present time. I am.curious about regional forms relating to the four sections of the Inca territory at it's height.

Cool project, i think there could be some intriguing results.

Check out the "Trichocereus in South America" torrent if you want to review locations of many specific Trichocereus plants. T. pachanoi rules in Ecuador and Northern Peru, but appears to be a cultivar, while T. peruvianus dominates the western slopes of the Andes in central Peru and has fully naturalized populations. I've argued that T. pachanoi is a cultivar of T. peruvianus and species such as T. macrogonus, T. pallarensis, and T. santaensis are most likely spectral forms between T. pachanoi and T. peruvianus. T. cuzcoensis forms dominate on the eastern slopes of central Peru, and include T. knuthianus, T. tarma, and T. tulhuayacensis. T. puquiensis and T. schoenii are sort of odd men out, the former being somewhat intermediate in location and appearance to T. peruvianus and T. cuzcoensis, while the latter is a little further south, being in the Colca Canyon region, and also bears this same sort of intermediary look. These are the main candelabra Trichocereus of Peru. My view then becomes that there are two main groupings of candelabra Trichocereus in Peru, those of the T. peruvianus group and T. cuzcoensis group. Though from a common ancestor they probably began to differentiate as they evolved on different sides of the Andes. Of course due to increased populations throughout the Andes in the last few centuries these plants are being grown in horticultural and therefore the gene pool is likely to mix more and more and maybe even evolve towards more similarity. This is certainly the case in America and Australia where the genes are being mixed with great intention.

~Michael~

• Like 2

In the Inca range one finds scop, bridgesii, crassicostatus etc

There are also collections from argentina and northern chile...

Peru is a good start, but i am interested in the entire region for taxonomic reasons.

Here's a nice little map for ya Gunter. If one knows the locations of the other species of interest then the relations to the arteries should be a piece of cake.

post-19-0-03531300-1412289416_thumb.jpg

~Michael~

• Like 1