The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

☽Ţ ҉ĥϋηϠ₡яღ☯ॐ€ðяئॐ♡Pϟiℓℴϟℴ

BAstard cat! ... woke me up ..... (!?) just to fahkin bite me

That's actually getting somewhere.

I admit that when I am too stoned I might not read TH posts, especially as I cant connect them, fe. yesterday I could not understand that the popay pics were in reference to ThunderIdeal. LOL

In any case, I always found it problematic (and personally pretty funny) when people talk about dignity or similar butthurt well-behavings in the bitches threads.

Bullit>> I clicked th pic, but dude, I wanna know the autopsies record with reference to how many of those animals were rare what species and all. This pic doesn't say much (and btw weren't that cat chewing at all, the remains seem somewhat whole)

LokStok>>>

So what the heck is a bandicoot ? it seems like some marsupial rat looking animal. Two genuses of the tree have already reached extint status.

BUT

There is also the thing that Geroge Carlin said:

"Saving endangered species, havent we done enough? leave natuire alone"

So I am not so sure about any of humans interventions in nature... BTW, when and under what political situations did the ecological conservations of austrialia became a matter of importance and quarantines and all ??

If anyone got a good link/ site on the matter (needs to be political also, not only biology/taxonomy/ecology)

cheers

PS: conservation and all

lets talk cacti, some of us need to hybridise and own as many crosses of the interesdting species as possible. Is this really important to biology and conservation? no. Do we do it, using the biodiversity arguement? Sure. We like to own the genes to conserve the DNA right? than how come those rare animals aren't protected.

PS2: talking about OZ>>> Banning cats still seems like the most fair law, banning taking place near places with lots of ecological sensitivity.

PS3: One of the arguements I tell myself for not having gotten a cat yet (apart from irresponsible mentiality) is that I would like my cat to live the ideal life. It had to have a door when it leaves whenever it pleases, I always considered it very basic. I always considered cats and dogs living in apartments as plain wrong, but especially cats because its too clear to me we use the animal as a goods, as a toy, or a companion, like we hire that immigrants to take care of out grandmothers for pennies... in any case, there's lots of philosphy about men getting pets.

PS3: I never had a pe tknow why? I never felt ready and tbh worthy to have one. remember I am a double sagiuttarius so freedom is important to us

Micromegas ver interesting post as always

I should add two points

greek plant species are as many as the plant species of the whole europe in numbers.

but we dont do anything to preserve them. we dont give a shit.

you got rubbish dumping in protected areas and woods

plant eating animals freely graze EVERYWHERE including protected areas

yuou even have state land, protected land sold by the government nowadays !!!

I am telling all these to know where I am coming from

and how little ecology and conservations mean to us

and I would like to add that

the idea of constantly knowing where your cat is absurd

and totally invalidates the whole concept of having a cat IMO

the cat fight noise arguement is bullshit

that noise is music :lol: and should be in the charts by now , you know that makes sense ;)

so before any attempt at denial come to pass

everybody should go out and kiss the nearest kitty's ass

hole x]

the_cats_ass_mug.jpg?side=Back&height=25pucker up nowca6-150.jpgno tongues44.jpgthe_cats_ass.jpgcat%2527s+ass.jpgucanttouchthis.jpga_hole.jpgSrNIKd5.jpgsmellgood.jpg

oh yeah did i say uk? I meant Viltheed , there's only zordrak and a few urpneys for our wildlife

Zordrak.JPG

oh yeah...

Cat_Butt-426x640.jpgGato-sacandote-la-lengua-600x498.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

xFear_The_Cat_Butt.jpg.pagespeed.ic.QiSV

Bullit>> I clicked th pic, but dude, I wanna know the autopsies record with reference to how many of those animals were rare what species and all. This pic doesn't say much (and btw weren't that cat chewing at all, the remains seem somewhat whole)

u fuckers think im fucking stupid

The ethics of the dead cat shot

Friday 10 October 2014 4:29PMGregg Borschmann and Wendy Carlisle

Feral cat

Background Briefing’s Gregg Borschmann has been in Victoria reporting on the threat feral cats pose to native wildlife—in 20 years they could wipe out half the country’s mammals. Wendy Carlisle wonders whether in such dire circumstances the publication of a particularly shocking image is justified.

The picture of the ginger in the cage was cute enough, except it had a slightly bloody nose and I did wonder briefly if it had lost a round to the neighbour’s dog. You sort of wanted to reach into the picture and give it a pat and maybe even a saucer of milk.

‘That’s the feral cat we shot,’ said reporter Gregg Borschmann, who’d just returned from his Victorian field trip chasing the feral cat yarn.

‘Did you know there’s 20 million of them out there, and every one of them eats five critters a night. That’s 20 billion native animals a year.’

Right now we have the best part of 20 million oversized hungry ferocious predators in the wild and that’s what we have to deal with.

Greg Hunt, Environment Minister

The cat in question—the ginger—had big cute wet eyes.

It didn’t look that bad—but there I go again, anthropomorphising the cat. Why not? There are 3.3 million pet cats in Australia and we spend $1.4 billion on cat care.

We are a nation of cat lovers. My Facebook feed is full of friends’ cat videos. Some of my favourite Twitter follows are @catfoodbreath and @RealGrumpyCat, who can be relied upon to give me a lift at the right minute.

Our story was deadly serious, however. Gregg had come to Background Briefing and told us that he wanted to report that scientists have realised that feral cats are behind a second wave of mammalian extinctions sweeping the Top End: places like the Kimberly, Arnhem Land and Kakadu.

Environment scientist Dr John Woinarski told Background Briefing a compelling story of how just 30 years ago mammalian biodiversity in the Top End was so rich that when they went trapping for research, they caught too much native fauna.

‘It was really laborious because we were catching so many animals, so many different species of animals. It was effectively a paradise for a zoologist.’

Those were the days.

Fast-forward 30 years and Dr Woinarski and others have watched appalled as a biodiversity collapse has unfolded right in front of their eyes. They looked everywhere for the culprit. They modelled fire, weeds, feral buffalo and it didn’t fit. The answer was right in front of their eyes, but they couldn’t see it.

It was the feral cat. They had erroneously thought cats had been in the Top End for hundreds of years, since jumping off Portuguese ships in the colonial era. If they had been there that long, they couldn’t be the cause of the sudden collapse.

Unfortunately, the assumption was false—feral cats were new arrivals. The native fauna didn’t stand a chance.

Feral cats of French island

Feral cats rewrite the Australian story

Download

Sunday 12 October 2014

Listen to Gregg Borschmann's full report on feral cats.

More

But back to the cat photos. Gregg pulled out of his bag some other cat pictures.

One of the cats had a bullet right between the eyes. He promised me he hadn’t shot it, though the trapper offered him the shot.

Gregg did pose for a trophy shot, however, holding the big moggy up by the tail as a nod to one dead feral and 19,999,999 to go.

There was another picture Gregg pulled out of his rucksack, though.

It showed a large cat, flat out on the dissecting table. Its stomach had been cut open and its contents splayed out in front of it. There was a bloodied hunting knife placed indelicately next to its rear.

What a feast it had had—Le Grand Bouffe for cats.

There were at least 50 whole mammals and reptiles on the table: some small, others larger. What shocked me most was that the cat didn’t even chew its food.

This was one powerful image. It took your breath away.

We sought editorial advice. The response was instant: 'You can’t publish that—it’s too graphic. It’s too sensational, too distressing.'

I asked one colleague what was more distressing, the death of 50 native animals or the dead cat?

'That’s not terribly helpful, Wendy,' was the answer I got.

Pretty soon the thing we had uncorked came became obvious. This was about our love affair with cats. This dead cat was everyone’s dead cat.

We became the 'cat haters' in the RN lunch room, but at least we were having the conversation. Pretty soon I knew who had cats and who had dogs at RN.

Yes, it was a powerful image. Someone suggested we show the dead animals without the cat. Someone else suggested we Photoshop the knife out—actually that was me.

Dr Woinarski, meanwhile, has written an impassioned op-ed for ABC Environment about why our love affair with the domestic cat must come to an end.

'Cat-owners and local governments should be more effectively regulating the keeping and management of pet cats,' he writes.

'Many in our community see cats as inoffensive and desirable pets. It is an illusion.'

Every domestic cat is one day away from going feral.

Environment Minister Greg Hunt won’t go that far.

'It’s not about the domestic cat,' he insists.

'Right now we have the best part of 20 million oversized hungry ferocious predators in the wild and that’s what we have to deal with.'

You see, cats have votes. Cats have staff.

Dr Woinarski says if we don’t get cracking, feral cats will in 20 years finish off half our native mammalian wildlife.

'The future could well be desolate,' he says. 'It’s probably another generation or so and we will have lost perhaps half our native fauna.'

In the end we reasoned that yes, this was powerful, it was shocking. It was justified. The power was in the image—that told the story.

So we decided to publish, but behind a warning. People should have the choice.

You be the judge [warning: graphic image]

Background Briefing is investigative journalism at its finest, exploring the issues of the day and examining society in a lively on-the-road documentary

Poor cunts. Edit cats, i mean cats.

edit

u fuckers think im fucking stupid

I LOLed !!! hahahah so funny

Wonder how many cat haters actually do something about it, there was that nut who was making cat hats a few years back, no doubt there's some budding serial killers torturing a few here and there, early morning drivers purposely running them over, haters trapping them and drowning them in a bin etc........

Hasn't any marsupial or bird or animal that's survived in Australia in the last 60 thousand (indig) 3-5 thousand (dingo) 200 years (whites) evolved to exist with the dingo, feline, fox, dog, pig, goat, sheep, horse, camel and the worst vermin of all ................humanity.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

Some species were already extinct or in decline before white settlement, then the most species were wiped out in the first 50 years of white settlement, what we see now are the survivors.

I've often thought that we should look at the make up of today's flora and fauna in as what it is now and stop trying to recreate what was, what is gone forever.

Dingoes, foxes and dogs and cats are now the major non human predators.

Kangaroo populations have exploded in some areas to the degree that they have to be culled or they starve to death instead.

We eat Kangaroo, maybe we should eat cat.

Should all the kookaburras in WA be put on curfews or trapped because they have decimated the population of small lizards and marsupials, they followed the settlers over once there was enough water avail to cross the nhulabour.

There's an acacia here that is feral and a type of grevillea as well.

Maybe we shouldn't plant any cactus or other non native plants in the ground.

Suburbia, agriculture and farming fucks up more habitats and creates more monocultures than anything.

Nothing will ever be the same again.

A feral cat is a wild animal, if you could get near it odds are its all infected with worms and ugly and scratched up.

There's no chance of picking it up for a cuddle as it will rip you up.

Wonder out of the millions of small animals and birds that feral cats eat how many are actually non indigenous mice, rats, birds etc.......

There's quite a few introduced species that many mistake for native.

urban myth or not it is said that if you die in your house with a cat and a dog, the cat will start to eat you after a few days of hunger and the dog will not. :)

I've 2 cats, both are fixed and are 15 and 17, mother and son.

When they die we won't be getting more.

They have both killed their fair share of things in their time, bell on collars, screaming at them and saving their catches from being killed is bout the only thing one can do. As they have got older it's just mice and rats now, that I see...........

The windows of our house kill on average around 1 bird a week, they fly into them and break their necks, I find their corpses on the dogs bed. Every week we have have a near miss on the road with some bird or animal and often murder them unintentionally.

We made feral animals, we made foxes scared and pigs chase us and we made feral cats.

The most evil thing round here are brown snakes, see them weekly, just before they very quickly fuck off outa sight, they are scared of us as well.

Thunderideal. Yep we got a trap for a week at one stage but either the cat had been trapped before and knew what he was getting himself into or the owners saw it being delivered and contained it for the week?

There is really no moral issues re keeping cats indoors, purebred domestic felines are quite capable and content living indoors only.

No differance to keeping a dog in a yard really. Sure you might walk your dog... but still restrained on a leash and if not the dog has had training to temperment witch is a condition of boundary anyway. Any witch way you look at it all domesticated pets need boundarys and these should be implemented for the pets safety first and foremost.

Its really that simples.

Hi Guys, so i hid a couple of Posts that were reported because they were gloriously off-topic to what the OP actually had planned with this Thread. I understand that cats can be very big Problem in some countries, including Australia and Germany. But the Problem doesn´t go away by being cruel and Advertise to kill them. The Problem is complex and Cats that are un-sterilized shouldn´t be set free by their Owners, who are the real Fuckwits in this Case. The Cat just follows its basic Instincts and there is very little Intend to ruin a Countries Bird Population or any other Population. So yeah, instead of blaming the Cat, maybe people should blame the Owners and force people to chip and Sterilize their Pets. Again, i understand that Cats can be a huge Pest and i understand you need to protect your unique Wildlife and Flora. But you won´t get this done by ruining Thunderhorses Thread. ;)

I do have a cat; but a Housecat. It´s sterilized and doesn´t walk around killing birds. If people act responsibly, they can be kept. But there should be regularities.

Edit: And by the Way. I don´t allow Animal Cruelty.

And if you Guys want to have a serious Discussion about Cats (or any other Animal) and their negative Impact on the Biosystem, i am ALL for it because people can express their Opinion here. BUT create a new Thread and do not derail other Peoples friendly Threads or Advertize Animal Cruelty. That´s the Rules. I see your Point but i don´t like the style in this Thread.

whats wrong with a nice sing along too kevin bloodly Wilson??

Answer. Only legal cat is a ragdoll cat. They are so fucking adorable and there's no way they are going to hunt wildlife. A willywagtail would take out a ragdoll. And they are soooooo cute!

Entertaining debate, big ups to the alfstewart "galah" thrown down on the table.

Hey, people like cats.

Our absynian cat has eaten... pineaple, capcicum, beetroot, peas n corn, shrooms, broccoli just to name a few. Loves vegimite. Loves moths. Hates millipedes and cockroaches.

Will open the rubbish bin to eat left over mc donalds... loves maccas.

Our other cat only eats tuna and a select few whiskers variety cat fod. She likes to vomit everywhere. She is a pro at the purge.

To sum it up. One shits everywhere... the other spews everywhere.

SPewie likes to lure you in for a pat then attack like a wild beast and shitty likes to lick your nose after liking her pussy. Cats man. Cats.

Pimento awesome post

fixed is cut its genitals ? :P lol nice expression

wert mentioned purebred pets

see, thats my problem , I have a philosophical problem with purebred

not the whole concept, but the laboratory one

some 'strains' seem pretty nice and normal

seen the minx cat? or the infamous pitbull?

anywayz

Around here, pet animals are huge source of litter . But its because people are disgusting themselves

There were always cats in the neighbourhood, but always scared of people. You can easily judge by the behaviour of cats and how reluctunt it is to come near a human, how people in general behave towards cats in that area. If you go to greek islands, cats are pretty friendly & non-afraid, and among other things, they are considered a tourist attraction of some shorts. In my neighbourhood, there are few people who like them, some dudes own 10+ ones, others feed some of them, most hate them. So my yard was always a sanctury for neibourhood cats. But boy the litter and fuck up any substrate you might leave be it perlite or soil to shit on it.

People seem to be getting pet dogs too around here in an increasing rate. Maybe its the economical crisis, people are more depressed? Most of them walk them and let them shit all over the place.

rare wildlife? you got cows grazing the nearest "protected" areas in here and their owners tearing down the fences of protected spots of special importance.

"trap my kitty"

man, just so you're clear (coz i'm not that you are)

when TI posted about trapping cats, hes not talking traps like bear-traps, rabbit traps, fierce-serrated-edged-leg-cruncher type traps that might immediately spring to

ones mind when the word trap is presented.

he's talking enticing cats (kittys) into a quite large steel mesh box that automatically closes the door behind the entering cat (kitty) once they have entered.

=ing no physical pain to the ...kitty, other than some deserved feline embarrasment. Owner of ...kitty (if traceable) is then alerted that ...kitty is in the big house.

...just so whe're clear yeah.