The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Yeti101

Random distillery

Was driving past this http://www.distillerybotanica.com/ place and called in on a whim. The owner, who seems pretty knowledgeable about herbs & plants, gave us a tour of his operation and tasting of 10 spirits & liqueurs. If it weren't for me having to be somewhere, I reckon he would have talked to us all afternoon. I left having spent quite a bit more on booze than I anticipated. If you are going past when he's open it's worth calling in, especially if you like gin.

• Like 3

Ive been meaning to drop past for ages now, next time im up at Avoca ill make sure i do. do you know if he'll make custom gins? wondering if perhaps a calea infusion could work, call it something blatant and uncreative like Dream Gin...

Ive been meaning to drop past for ages now, next time im up at Avoca ill make sure i do. do you know if he'll make custom gins? wondering if perhaps a calea infusion could work, call it something blatant and uncreative like Dream Gin...

I reckon there's a small chance he's tried it already. He said that he's trialed hundreds of recipes for spirits and liqueurs, so who knows. That said, I didn't get a real sense of where his opinions are on substances other than alcohol - though in his position I wouldn't necessarily advertise a more enlightened attitude to random members of the public either. He makes a pretty decent absinthe with herbs (including wormwood) that he grew himself, so he can't be too bad.

Like I said, he talked for ages about distilling and infusing techniques (passing ethanol vapor though the juniper berries etc) as well as the herb and nursery business, which I thought was cool. I would probably go back just to stare at the still and have a drink with him.

I sent em an email to see if they mail order bit I'm still waiting to here back

Not sure if he does mail order, his website seems like that isn't his priority. Unless I was an unfeasibly long distance way I'd just drop in, but obviously that isn't an option for everyone. Which is a pity, as the garden is worth a look too.