any guesses?

Question

online auction....tempting >$20...

Oreocereus...Espostoa?

should be able to fruit at this size >2m

330931352.jpg

Edited by Dreamwalker.

8 answers to this question

Better pics needed. Could be Oreocereus. Or maybe even Tarjensis/Poco. Ask him if the cactus has fine hairs or if he can provide better pics.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 1

I don't know..there were a few others biding on it...I opted out of participating above $30 ...Though I felt it was worth more than $30..It felt like the bidder was intent on getting it.....oddly it hadn't flowered in the last 3 years...but it could have been on the south...cool part of the house..?...maybe a local member here brought it?

Well, Plants of that size are worth a lot. If you buy that in a nursery, you spend like 500 Euros at the lowest. But I understand you can´t buy every Plant you come across. This Guy is hard to move... believe me, I have one like that and it´s my most dangerous cactus.

I assume it didn´t flower because of the lack of nutrients and root run.

Edited by Evil Genius

yeah you know I never actually thought about how difficult it would be to move.. :scratchhead: daa

she's a monster ....2 - 3 man job..& tight spot to remove it from >2m high x 150mm wide...would weigh a ton..would have been a shame to cut it....probably a good thing I didn't win...I think I would have got hurt........not sure about the root run..I think its in the ground & not a lot of competition..

I totally agree about the value..but cactus's aren't very popular here...I've picked up most of my mature collection in 2 years...truck loads for peanuts...people will move into a new home & just want their garden cleared of the prickly things..still id-ing much of it..$10 for a cereus p took me 3 hours to cut down & filled my truck 2 layers high of logs...got a bucket load of fruit several months later...

15 x 1.5 m stems of cleistocactus strausii for $50....nice silvery babes...look really cool up my driveway....that pilosocereus you helped me id the other day $12...the pots its in is worth more...& it looks like its going to do a growth spurt... .love them or hate them..

Anyway someone has a cool cactus.........& they pretty much live forever....I kinda felt I could get into a bidding war...it didn't seem right..there's plenty to go around.. :)

• Like 1