The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MrDoRight

Lophocereus Schottii Var "Hulks Dick" OR Trichocereus Bridgesii Long Form

Question

20140801 185159

Over the weekend I took a visit to a wholesale nursery and had a nice conversation with an employee about a plant that came labeled as a weenie cactus. She couldn't put that as the label so thats why she called it Cereus Species . The woman said that it had been the only cutting they received off an old parent plant which doesn't have much background.

They had the average Lophocereus Schotti Monstrose which gets reffered to as the totem pole cactus although she didn't seem to think it was part of the same genus and she said she wasn't sure about its growing habits.

I know areoles would be present if this were a bridgesii although im not sure if with time and getting withered that the areolas could have became calloused over or just not present on this tip. Im wanting to cut a piece off for grafting & to figure out where its going to push pups out from.

Cheers

9 answers to this question

Could it perhaps be some kind of ceropegia?

Any chance of pics of the mother plant? That'd most likely settle it pretty quickly. Pics of the growth point too? Growth point seems to look different between hulks dick and TBM.

Have you looked under the soil for any areoles?

How big's the pot it's in? Can we have something for size comparison? LS Hulk Dick looks a lot larger than TBMs.

Looks like a TBM to me so far...

The nursery is very dependable but this was the one plant the crew members knew very little about on site. hopefully if I contact them via email they might be able to get ahold of the person the cutting came from & send me some pictures along with information on the mother plant.

Towards the base there may be areoles but they aren't very well noticed by eyes. It looks as if there are areoles they have been calloused over or possibly I received a cutting that hasn't produced any yet. The lower girth diameter is thicker than my wrist but thins out to about 2-3 fingers wide near the tip. It appears very much like a TBM from the tip. I would have thought the nursery would properly labeled a lophocereus considering they had a few in stock.

According to the older woman i shared a talk with it was her only mystery cactus & trichocereus come mislabeled quite frequently. Regardless of the cactus"s true identity I like the crusty penis which looks like its battling a mean case of herpes scabs right now.

If it cut the tip in order to graft it onto a Ceres species that should force it to pup from an areole point ; correct ?

A lot of TBM's are mislabeled as Lophocereus schottii 'BIG PENIS CACTUS'

Yours seems to definitely be a TBM though, will need a tip shot to confirm.

They have a nice comparison shot here: http://www.cactus-art.biz/schede/LOPHOCEREUS/Lophocereus_schotii/Lophocereus_schotti_big_penis/Lophocereus_schottii_big_penis.htm

Hi Guys! For me, its a lophocereus. That corking on the base is very typical for it. Most plants i had had that. And Mr. Do rights plant has it too.

Sorry iam not educated enough to mention the diameter of pots & i know fiding out is as easy as reading the label (if there is one) or measuring around myself.

The root system has massively been established & it wouldn't be happy if it were to continue living in its pot for much longer. I removed the cactus from its origial container which on the level of low plastic pots I would consider this to be a pretty large container & planted it inside the ground where it should hopefully spurt with fresh growth in the oncoming weeks. will upload comparison shots next to a seperrate TBM when i take them in the morning & maybe get some macro shots of the suspected areoles and the picture of the tip.

I'm also leaning towards this being a lophocereus.

me hoping this is a bridgesii will just complicate confusion and I'm happy with the lophocereus schotti because both plants serve as a similar decorative ornament to the garden. Now Im going to search for the second totem pole variant.

Have a good day everyday.

20140804 130751

20140804 130218

20140804 130256

Photo Update:

100% Certain Lophocereus Schottii Monstrose!

Edited by Evil Genius

haha that TBM looks so grumpy! Yeah defs a schottii Penis