The Corroboree
HolographicYou

Pereskiopsis

Hey there everybody!

Has anyone come across pereskiopsis seeds? I've never seen any available by vendors.

Anywho I currently have no pereskiopsis and they really are a must given I'm growing quite a variety of cacti by seed at the moment and I'd like to practice grafting.

If anyone has seeds I would be particularly interested but at this point cuttings/plants would be awesome!

Kind regards,

HY

not an authority on it...but seem to recall reading they generally don't flower.....................cuttings what you want...........you could also try growing dragon fruit, if the fruit's available in market, they grow really fast & for your climate new growth graft well for root stock......once you have a few doz. plants going they are prolific...good standby...

They rarely flower (super rare) and even if they did the resulting seed (if any) isn't likely viable.

This makes me wonder then... how does wild peres propagate, and maintain genetic diversity? Can't be all clonal can it?

I've read somewhere that Pereskiopsis species flower and set seed redily in their native habitat. I think that was said by a guy from tropical Mexico on another forum. So it would just appear that no one bothers to collect the seeds and/or spread them around.

I can't say if that is true or not, but I have seen a picture of a Pereskiopsis flower, it was yellow and similar in shape to some Opuntia species.