The Corroboree
reshroomED

Good Whiskey

Check out what I recently received as a gift.

post-493-127330641006_thumb.jpg

Great Southern's whisky is marketed as 'Limeburners', named after an area nearby the distillery where lime burning took place in convict times. The whiskies are matured primarily in ex-Brandy oak, with the occasional ex-bourbon and experimental cask used. This is the third release from Great Southern and we believe the best yet. With the Australian whisky industry on the cusp of a boom period, one should consider the astonishing prices first and early releases of Scottish whiskies are now achieving

Tasting Note: Dull gold colour with water like hue. Expressive, fresh florals, mixed peel, and toffee above characteristics above a distinctive exotic spicy background. The palate reflects the nose to perfection. Almost voluptuous in texture, delivering, vibrant, fresh citrus and apricot backed by pepperberry, treacle, and cinnamon. Gentle prickle. Very well balanced. Terrific oak & fruit integration. Ripe fruits continue into the long aftertaste.

43.0% Alc

Sounds that good, I haven't had the balls to open it.

I'm more of an ouzo drinker than anything, but adore a good scotch/bourbon.

Anyone else a fan of fine spirits?

ed

post-4908-127330698737_thumb.jpg Teekeela!!! wahahahai mean tequila man its worth goin over seas to score this baby duty free .... DON julio , julio

don-julio-anejo.jpg

don-julio-anejo.jpg

Yeah,im totally into Malt Whiskey.

Dont get me started I could go on and on.

I go to tastings and Masterclasses,its a great way to learn,and sample rare stuff you would not normally find,or afford!

I have tried most malts,it does take a while to develop the palette.

Best starting off with lighter styles,they working up to the heavily peated Islay malts.

Must admit haven't tried the Limeburner,sounds good........well Ive actually never had a bad Single Malt.

I have had a few Aussie Malts,they are quite good.Bloody good for a fledgling industry.

Try the first nip straight,but just add a few drops of water,it releases a lot more subtle flavor.

Smell it for a while first,this will help prepare the taste senses.

Then just sip it,slowly.

After that,you may want to have a decent 2 fingers on the rocks.

Cheers!!

• Like 1

Woops wrong button!

Think I might need a drink!!

Edited by colhawk

when i used to drink, i was particularly fond of Makers Mark bourbon, and before going out clubbing, would usually make a big ding in a bottle of Hennessey cognac, straight out of the bottle!!! but jebus did i get myself into some trouble!!

but what i mostly drank in clubs was black sambucca (not what id call a fine spirit lol

used to do 'bucca bongs' light em up and stick em all over my body, skull, then suck the fumes up through a straw. normal results was blacking out on a dancefloor. would wake up with black rings and burn marks all over myself.

me and drinking never mixed lol.

i have been told that i do have the record for being banned from the most number of pubs and clubs on the northern beaches!

only place i could be guarenteed to get into was Home nightclub, and that was only because i went out with the doorbitch, but when that soured i was even banned from there!!!

Glenmorangie+10+Year.jpg

^ the best single malt whisky imo

Legend tells that alcoholic beverages of one kind or another were produced in and around Tain since the Middle Ages.[4]

It is said that the production of alcohol started at Morangie Farm in 1738, when a brewery was built that shared the farm's water source, the Tarlogie Spring. A former distillery manager, William Matheson, acquired the farm in 1843 and converted the Morangie brewery to a distillery, equipped with two second hand gin stills.[2] He later renamed the distillery Glenmorangie.

• Like 1

Maker's and Turkey are excellent. Buy one or the other every month or so (rarely party these days).

Black sambucca - bad news for me.

Last experience was at a the end-of-a-construction-job piss-up.

One of the roughest pubs in Melbourne (the Guiding Star, Brooklyn) and got thrown out three times (that I recall), but my old man drank there when I was a kid, so new the place pretty well and kept sneaking back in through the kitchen.

My final memory of the night was fighting some big islander dude with tatts all over his face.

Strangely enough, I woke with only minor contusions the next morning, which surprised me greatly.

Ahh, I miss being young, ten-foot-tall and bullet-proof.

ed

panther-piss.jpg

I found a bottle of this in my grandmas kitchen when i was 16. Highly recommended to you youngsters out there considering passion pop, dont. go for the piss ;)

Maybe she still has it there..... hmmm

Edited by Slybacon
  • Like 5

drunk edit: :blink:

Edited by blowng

post-4739-127331861625_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Mezcal, complete with agave grub.

post-7430-127335970719_thumb.jpg

428px-Mezcal_monte_alban_0_7.jpg

428px-Mezcal_monte_alban_0_7.jpg

ardbegDoubleBarrel.jpg

Ardbeg Double Barrel Islay Malt 1400ml $10000.00 / $120000.00Dozen

Box set of 2 bottles - price quoted per bottle

Containing two bottles each from a different single barrel of 1974 Ardbeg. Each of these casks has developed it's own distinctive character, bottled separately for the greatest pleasure of the most discerning Whisky enthusiast. Exquisitely presented in a handmade bespoke leather gun case, accompanied by sterling silver (hallmarked) drinking cups in a unique partnership with Scotland’s top silversmiths. Double Barrel is a beautiful presentation of Ardbeg, the ultimate Islay Malt. Only 250 sets have been made

Hand blown embossed bottles sealed with the individual cask number. Hand stitched bridle leather made in the UK by the same craftsmen who make gun cases for the world’s best gunsmiths (Purdey, Beretta and Boss) Hand stitched bridle leather gun case. Eight solid silver drinking cups created by Scotland’s top silversmiths Hamilton & Inches, all hallmarked. Each cup is engraved with Ardbeg’s bespoke zoomorphic design. Leather stitched sampling register. Leather stitched book The story of Double Barrel, and bespoke Omas/LVMH pen

Ardbeg 1974 has an amazing depth of peat which has soaked into the oak, combined with sumptuous sweetness, enticing spices and laced with seductively fruity floral notes. Each pair of casks selected for Ardbeg Double Barrel is a feast for the senses combining the full and complex spectrum of rich, seductive and deep flavours in Ardbeg together as a harmonious pair. In each double barrel, you will find two unique single casks, one revealing a more deeply exotic Ardbeg weaving sweeter luscious fruits, spices, and velvety tannins in with voluptuous peat oils, and the other deeper in the archetypal and highly aromatic smoky-waxy complexity for which Ardbeg is renowned

:( bit out of my price range

Bruichladdie%20Links%20Swillcan%20Bridge%20xxx.jpg

^ Delicious

Btw , a bit of trivia for you people that didnt know. "Whisky" is the spelling used for Scotch. Anything other than that ie. Irish,American,Japanese etc is spelt "Whiskey"

My dad loves his whiskey, but I haven't drunk it since since I drank 3/4 of a bottle of scotch with soda too quickly at a party once, about 9 years ago. Woke up from being passed out with very strange memory images... images of things one doesn't normally want their friends to see...

Mezcal, complete with agave grub.

That Monte Albans mezcal - con gusano! - is my spirit of choice when I'm actually drinking which is rarely nowadays. Surprisingly I can drink a fair whack of it (Tequila Sunrise woop woop!) and not feel too messy at the time, and not feel/smell like a dead Mexican's ringpiece the next day like Jose Cuervo does.

smell like a dead Mexican's ringpiece the next day like Jose Cuervo does

what a rude thing to say about good ol' Jose...he can't help it... :)

But as for tequila:

jose_cuervo_platino.jpg

is very nice.

I've yet to see a decent Mezcal in Australia :(

Tequila is mezcal, but mezcal is not necessarily tequila.

If you're familiar with scotch, you'll understand the point easily enough. In the world of whiskies, scotch, bourbon, rye, etc. are all types of whisky (or whiskey, depending on your alcoholic religion), but not all whisky is bourbon, or scotch, or whatever. In cars, sedans, coupes and station wagons are all types of cars, but not all cars are station wagons (thank God!)

Spirits made from fermented agave juices are all types of mezcal, and that includes tequila, as well as regionally known styles like sotol and raicilla that most people would never have tasted unless they found themselves a guest in a particular area of Mexico.

With the attention paid to artesanal tequilas over the past several years, there's a lot of people in the international community who've tasted a lot of tequilas, and who understand the basic language of tequila. Many of the terms used to describe tequilas are also used on bottles of mezcal, including aging descriptors like reposado and añejo.

Before I delve too far into the tasting and sensory sides of Oaxacan mezcal, let me address a few of the myths of tequila and mezcal....

Disspelling the Myths...

1. Mezcal has a worm in it.

In the late 20th century, a couple of marketers decided to put worms in their export mezcals as a gimmick. It is not a genuine tradition and none of the quality mezcals have worms. Cheaper mezcals and low-grade export mezcals do have worms, and I've heard that bottles exported to the Japanese market sometimes have several worms (actually caterpillars) in each bottle.

It is true that no respectable tequila has a worm in the bottle, and its also true that no true artesanal mezcal has a worm in it.

2. Worms from a mezcal bottle cause hallucinations.

The only hallucination they may cause is that you're having a hallucination.

3. Mezcal is just "cheap" tequila.

There is absolutely no truth at all to rumors that producers who can't meet the standards of "tequila" use the "mezcal" label. The beverages are different, that's all, and mezcal suffers an image problem due to its relative unfamiliarity compared to the more widely experienced tequila.

more good info:

http://www.epinions.com/content_4731871364

LOL yeah I've had to explain to friends whenever I've brought my Monte Alban that the worm doesn't do anything for you but give you protein. I just like that particular mezcal because it gets along with me better than all of the - admittedly few - tequila or mezcal types I've tried. I've never even seen that particular Jose Cuervo, looks expensive, I'll have to try it when someone else has bought one :lol: I'm no connoisseur, just know what I like and what likes me.

Seagram's VO Canadian Whiskey

Damn fine drop this one, My palette isnt quite as refined as some,

But this one stands out for me...

Who's up for a 'Black Tooth Grin'?

Woohoo... Finally able to upload pics!!! :lol:

post-5455-127344190801_thumb.jpg

Edited by sethomopod

For the Gin drinkers

Hendrick%27s%20bottle%20%20290107.JPG

Edited by The Spoons

northern light [canadian] is the best and cheap and is as blended whiskey.

it go to be more expensive now, ae a plug[commercial] for quality product

sad but true

Just starting to develop more of an interest in Scotish and American whiskys. Haven't really tried anything too expensive. But have stopped buying the absolute cheapest rubbish and mixing it with cola etc. Just water and 1 ice cube. Working my way to no ice and just a touch of water, but I think I have a while to go yet as I can't seem to pick the flavours too well yet if it's too strong. I guess it comes with time.

Anyone want to suggest an ok whisky for under $50? I don't think at this stage I'd be able to appreciate anything more expensive so probably a waste if I spend any more than that.

As I've only really sampled the more affordable ones they've all been blends not single malt. Can you even get a decent single malt for under $50?

As far as affordable blends go, picked up some Drummer whisky recently, I was very impressed with how smooth it was and quite flavoursome really. Even just smelling it you can really tell the difference between that and say Ballantines (horrible without a mixer) which was in the cupboard. It's got that nice old smell, quality red wine and ports also have this, not sure exactly what but it reminds me on Old Sydney Town, visiting the blacksmith shop. Kind of a smoky, beeswaxy, aged smell. Like an old book smell maybe. Or an antique shop, old furniture. That solid, timeless scent. Well not really smelling exactly like all that, but reminds me of those things. Triggers something in my brain.

Drummer doesn't rate too well online strangely, I guess it is bottom of the scale ($32) and more experience whisky drinkers probably want something less smooth and with more of a bite? I reckon it's pretty decent compared to others in that price range.

Tips or suggestions for a beginner?

i only ever dink my own whiskey, except for when im at colhawks house LOL, so can't rely suggest much for that side.

But old monk rum is well worth trying. I know its rum and the name sounds terrible. But trust me, forget all you know about rum and try that one. It is a little bit hard to find, but if your in sydney the little bottler at doonside has it and lots of other indian stuff like beer etc. For less than $40 a bottle i would be hard pressed for anythning to beat it.

try it you'll like it, it tastes like christmas!

Imho. the minimum requirement for a scotch is bottled in Scotland, product of Scotland. If it doesn't say bottled in Scotland, it may have come over as a syrup and been diluted before bottling here.

So an example of a baseline...

The McAllister 1 litre bottle sells for under $40 (best bang for buck if u destitute ;) )

older the better seems to be the go with the malts.

although there probably is one, I can't remember ever tasting a nice 8 yr old. So 10 and up.

course u can get 10 yr olds i'd prefer over some 18 yr olds

glenfiddich 12 is on special often for around 50. a great malt unless u have had a really great malt. :P I use it as that meskilin stuff u get outa those prickly plants is used as a baseline with Entheogens.

the malts vary by region. highland, lowland billy-connellyland... i don't know em all.

one region is the isle of islay.

all the islay malts have a hint of iodine from the seaweed or something.

Islay Malts are my favorite.

wen u read the tasting notes, u get an idea of how to play with the nectar, smell, taste, aftertaste. more u look, deeper u can go. but have to sip, and wait, not guzzle like incognito and his Hennessy - for shame dude... or dudette.

after u get a few tasting under your belt, go order a glass of XO Hennessy and sip it. then have a laugh at incognito :P

there are pubs that specialize in malts. there was one in glebe, sydney. they had 20+ i think. pick 4 or 5 at most. picking 1 outa 20 can be a buzz

Watch for specials at Dan Murphy's and local bottle shops and let opportunity guide ur tasting.

wink drisly

Peace

• Like 1

Anyone want to suggest an ok whisky for under $50? I don't think at this stage I'd be able to appreciate anything more expensive so probably a waste if I spend any more than that.

Tips or suggestions for a beginner?

Bushmills red IME is the best cheapest. If you can find it. It's pretty good

Don't go the more exxy Bushmills black, it tastes like petrol, and is shit

Trust your instincts when tasting, who cares what anyone else thinks? I used to think I'd have no taste in whisky or whiskeys at all, being a smoker and none-too well edumacated in the finer things. My first sip of good whiskey was a revelation, it was made by a now dear friend overseas. We've drunk a few bottles of thegood stuff since then and I can see what the fuss is about.