The Corroboree
Getafix

Taquimbalensis and Validus

Well I thought I would try again to see if anyone out there may have had a small cut or seedling of Validus and Taquimbalensis?

I have just given away a heap of seedlings so not much to trade at this point but more than happy to pay a good price, just feel my collection is not quite complete without the above.

I do have a bunch of seedling coming along from Nitrogens mutant crosses which I will gladly pass along once big enough.

Cash now and some seedlings later is what I have to offer if anyone can help me.

Thanks

Getafix

Hey man - I have some of zelly's 'Validus' crosses that I can send you if you'd like?

There's also a European seed supplier I saw that was selling those type of plants - might have a selection of choice wild-collected seed (might have to take your time navigating the site - it's confusing) : http://www.cactus-hobby.eu/

Edited by CβL
  • Like 1

Dont think you´ll get around growing it from seed or being lucky and getting a complete seedgrown plant on ebay or someplace else.

Both Validus and Taquimbalensis are massive plants that rarely pup. I have a semi-large Validus Plant and it looks like a Tank. If that monster would fall on you, your done. Have checked the seedlist from the european link but its a horror to navigate. Doesnt seem they have either one of these species either. But its an interesting seed source. Didnt know that one.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4

Hey man - I have some of zelly's 'Validus' crosses that I can send you if you'd like?

There's also a European seed supplier I saw that was selling those type of plants - might have a selection of choice wild-collected seed (might have to take your time navigating the site - it's confusing) : http://www.cactus-hobby.eu/

Hey CBL,

Yeah would definately be interested in Validus crosses, don't have anyting with those genetics in my collection.

Pm me.

Thanks very much mate

Dont think you´ll get around growing it from seed or being lucky and getting a complete seedgrown plant on ebay or someplace else.

Both Validus and Taquimbalensis are massive plants that rarely pup. I have a semi-large Validus Plant and it looks like a Tank. If that monster would fall on you, your done. Have checked the seedlist from the european link but its a horror to naviagte. Doesnt seem they have either one of these species either. But its an interesting seed source. Didnt know that one.

Hey EG,

Yeah, I agree.

Have tried growing both from seed several times with zero germination, must have been ancient seed!!

I have never even seen a Validus in the flesh. I had a large Taquimbalensis in NZ which is with another member here, it was a beast, as thick as my thigh!

Cheers

Getafix

Also, I have 2 big Taq plants that will be centre-pieces in my new cacti garden - hopefully I can get them to flower and hybridize with them! Muhahaha :D

• Like 2

attachicon.gifvalidus.jpg

This is it. Frigging Ungeheuer.

Beautiful, I want!!

Edited by Getafix

Yeah, pulled it from ebay this year. Its even thicker and more massive than it comes across on the pic. This guy could mutilate my Cojones pretty badly if i´d stumble over it.

Of course it was not labeled as Validus. My best suggestion would be to check all the Terscheckii´s and related Cacti on ebay very closely. Most of the Validus i saw recently were not labeled as such.

• Like 2

Yeah, pulled it from ebay this year. Its even thicker and more massive than it comes across on the pic. This guy could mutilate my Cojones pretty badly if i´d stumble over it.

Of course it was not labeled as Validus. My best suggestion would be to check all the Terscheckii´s and related Cacti on ebay very closely. Most of the Validus i saw recently were not labeled as such.

Cheers, will keep my eyes open now I have a idea what I am looking for.

It is REALLY hard to keep it apart from Terscheckii. Feel free to send me a photo if you get across one and arent sure. The Areole shape is a key to identify the type.

• Like 2

SS from memory, had some Taquimbalensis seeds going as well (give them an email, because they won't advertise it on the internet) :P

• Like 1

It is REALLY hard to keep it apart from Terscheckii. Feel free to send me a photo if you get across one and arent sure. The Areole shape is a key to identify the type.

Thanks EG, I definately will do that.

I have seen so many conflicting images of this plant I gave up thinking I could id it!

• Like 1

SS from memory, had some Taquimbalensis seeds going as well (give them an email, because they won't advertise it on the internet) :P

Will do, I wonder how old their seed would be?

Cheers

Well this is it. As well as the one in Zellys Pics and in Brethloth´s pics.

SS dont sell crap seeds so they should be viable. The validus they sell is viable but difficult. The Best option would be Zellys Seed. It is the first time i know that viable Validus seeds were available like that. Not talking about the cool hybrids he created. Im not Advertising here but i sure as hell know that chances like this dont come across very oftenly. Seriously, get em as long as there are some. Zelly has been growing plants for a very long time now and you never know how long he will be willing to do that to himself, you know? Growing and crossing cacti like this is very hard work. I know what im talking about. When i was bringing my cacti inside this winter, i was exhausted because of all the plant care i had to do.

• Like 5

I can imagine the size of your collection and the logistics involved in moving it seasonably!!!

I fell lucky to be living in a climate where the plants go into the ground and they 'mostly' cope with the weather apart from the fucking 45 degrees days!!

Edited by Getafix
  • Like 1

Well yeah, i will not do this on the long term. Either i get a heated greenhouse to keep em whole year round, move to another country or reduce my collection greatly. Next year, i will get rid of about 50 percent of the large colums i have that are not unique hybrids or something like that. Will give away all kind of Cleistocactus, Pachycereus, Ferocactus, Echinocactus, Pilosocereus and and and to create place for the hybrids i raise from seed. Have like 300 Containers sown this year so far and i need to sow more because i dont want the seed to spoil. Was so happy to get the seed collection of a nursery. And i need the space for them. Will be very selective in the future about the plants i keep. Only the most beautiful and unique plants/flowers will be kept.

Btw, its possible that i have some Taquimbalensis seed laying here somewhere. Gotta check. I had Tacaquirensis and Taquimbalensis. I´ve sown one and saved the other pack for later. The one i´ve sown was completely viable. Not sure about the other one but they are from the same supplier and are said to be fresh as well. Will see.

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 2

Okay well if you had a couple seeds you wanted to part with I would happily do a deal with you!

I have a reasonably large property here that I have already filled with cacti. I know in the future I will be getting rid of many of my plants so I can continue to fill the garden with special plants.

I guess this is the evolution of the garden of an obsessed cactus gardener with limited space!!

Oh to have a hundred hectares and never have to get rid of a plant!!

• Like 5

Hey Getafix,

I saw T.validus seeds for sale today on Ebay & also Herbilistics (spelling?) had them for sale too. Good luck getting some. :)

Here is a photo of my little T.validus, it is getting heaps fatter than all the other tricho's!

post-11291-0-83853500-1358909722_thumb.j post-11291-0-57015800-1358909771_thumb.j

post-11291-0-83853500-1358909722_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-57015800-1358909771_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-83853500-1358909722_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-57015800-1358909771_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hey getafix, I can send you some Taquimbalensis seedlings. I got seed over a year ago an they are 1 inch tall (at least that's what they were labled)

D00d

Hey mate,

That would be much appreciated, happy to pay for them of course.

PM me for details

Cheers

Hey man - I have some of zelly's 'Validus' crosses that I can send you if you'd like?There's also a European seed supplier I saw that was selling those type of plants - might have a selection of choice wild-collected seed (might have to take your time navigating the site - it's confusing) : http://www.cactus-hobby.eu/

Have you or anyone here ordered seeds from cactus-hobby B4?

• Like 1

I haven't mate.

Cheers

I'm going to order 1000 validus seeds from them :) I'll send you some seeds when they arrive

im still waitn on 3000 validus seeds from kaktusy/cacushobby eu

(i know theyre the same place or close enough because the other two orders of terscheckii and lophs from both , came together ;)

pm getafix, mutant and mushroom man