The Corroboree
dollarjuice

Shotgun terrarium humidity

te;;ll us abput these monotubs marcel!

Exactly as mud described. Here are two good links: shroomery and some other website [these are written about some weird and probably unknown to you mushroom species (they're called 'cubes' or something) which for some reason is illegal to cultivate (maybe they're not very tasty?), but the principle is the same for many different species].

Once you go monotub, you'll never go back to anything else. So simple and so effective. I don't use manure. I just use straight coir (sometimes with a little gypsum) with about 5 jars of colonised rye in a 80 litre tub and I get more fungus than I know what to do with. Even after 4 or 5 flushes, when I chuck the whole box outside, it still keeps throwing out more and more. Some people add coffee grounds for extra nutes but every time I do I get contams.

But like I said, this type of box doesn't work with pf-tek or BRF style cakes. And while cakes don't give you the yield of a bulk grow, they are good for small carefree runs and good for beginners.

Your light source will be fine dollar juice, don't stress about the lid either. Ambient light is fine as well, as long as you can see your cakes they arr getting enough light. Your set up will be fine, temp really is the most important factor- get a cheap thermometer, aim to keep them as close to 25C for fastest results. Also, with that terrarium you will only need to fan and mist once or twice a day at most. good luck!

Ok.

If for some reason someones decided that they want 1/4-1/10th of the yield,

that could come from spawning to poo in the tub or large trays

and that it is in fact 'easier',thats cool.

But how about the feeling of those first big grows?

Its like 'wtf, why did i waste my time with a dozen cakes

when a foil oven pan from woolies is growing monster canopies..

and cakes were just a whole bunch of fiddle.' That is how it occured to me.

Even when I do have a solo cake sitting round, its just too tempting to MULTIPLY

that mofo. Cakes are made to appealing an option

when in comparison its just crap.

But I suppose its slightly quicker. If ur trippin over urself

to taste ur first meal of fresh homegrowns.

Just making my stance clear for any other researchers : )

Edited by mud

I understand where you're coming from mud (and others) and I'm not disputing that the monotub is a superior option, But after a couple of hours of research I still can't really find any solid, simple teks for the substrate material, that is easy for me, a very new beginner to all of this, to understand.

Of course I'm going to eventually move on to something different, I'm only just getting started in my interest of mycology and want to take things slow and simple.

Plus this terrarium is already sitting here next to me so why not keep using it, and in a few months when I can get some more cash together and have the time again I'll try and get a monotub set-up going.

After all isn't that what we're all doing? Trying to continue moving onwards and upwards with our grow techniques. Everything from terrariums to how we colonise what...

I'm sure give it a few years and some clever bastard will come up with a new terrarium or tek that shits all over every terrarium out there at the moment. When somebody finally figures that out will that therefore make the monotub 'bad'?

Not necessarily.

Just my opinion anyway.

• Like 1

im gonna give the monotob a crack this season with some pasturised horse poo and straw, cased with coco-coir. HB has converted me to poo.

Coir as a casing? That's so 1990's.... B)

maybee a mix of coir and peat then?? what do u advise then mr.monotub? i hate using vermiculite. gets everywhere.

Coir's too nutritious for casing. People used to do it, but then realised that their casing layer kept getting colonised too quick. A good monotub has no casing layer at all. The RH/air exchange balance is perfect.

Exactly as mud described. Here are two good links: shroomery and some other website [these are written about some weird and probably unknown to you mushroom species (they're called 'cubes' or something) which for some reason is illegal to cultivate (maybe they're not very tasty?), but the principle is the same for many different species].

Once you go monotub, you'll never go back to anything else. So simple and so effective. I don't use manure. I just use straight coir (sometimes with a little gypsum) with about 5 jars of colonised rye in a 80 litre tub and I get more fungus than I know what to do with. Even after 4 or 5 flushes, when I chuck the whole box outside, it still keeps throwing out more and more. Some people add coffee grounds for extra nutes but every time I do I get contams.

But like I said, this type of box doesn't work with pf-tek or BRF style cakes. And while cakes don't give you the yield of a bulk grow, they are good for small carefree runs and good for beginners.

hey marcel what species other than actives and button mushrooms could you use this mono tub for?

dollar FYI i used shotgun tek last yr fruiting trays of cased grain spawn and had shrooms coming out of my ears.

Cheers incog. I'm going to be using just some canning jars. Simple PF tek for me at the moment.

• Like 2

Mushroombloke: I've heard of people getting great reishi grows in monotubs. They usually go all antler like, however. You could probably up the gas exchange to change that, but I don't see what's wrong with glazed red alien health sticks. :lol:Oysters to a lesser degree too. (My oyster monotub grow was pitiful; small yield and small fruits).

I'm surprised that monotubs are relatively unknown here on the Corroboree. I'm no mush cult whizz; it's all the fad over at the shroomery. It seems this is the only way anyone grows cubes over there. When I got into cultivation, I just read millions upon millions of posts over there and this was just the tek that had the most enthusiastic supporters among the big-time cultivators. With the exception of growing oysters and outdoor patches/logs, it's definitely the next and last step after pf-tek cakes.

im a relative newb to SUCCESFULL shroom cultivation. i was rapped with results i got from the shotgun tek and stuck with that. but this monotub business sounds like even less frigen around which im very fond off. anything that is simpler and produces better results im all for. id say the majority of people here would be aware of that tek, but thanks for bringing it up im going to give it a go full steam ahead this growing season.

Seriously..

u cant find a tek, cos its just too stupidly easy. I had the same problem at first. Did cakes for yonks:S

Mud's Method:

1) Throw all ur old cow shit in an esky and cover in boiling water overnight=Pasteurized (or semi sterilised)

2) Then crumble cakes through it.

3) Whack it in ur clean tubs or pans, let colonise..

Bam! fruit that shit.

This is the simplest thing u could do.

But easier when u fuck off the verm and flour and just colonise

birdseed or corn. Heaps of stuff good mixes in most petstores

*Everthing that's used can be iso'd our ousted including ur work space.

I don't see cubes growin in coconut trees.. or coffee plantations, lol.

But poo.. poo's just perfect!

• Like 1

dollarjuice - Add more perlite to your SGFC. There should be at least 6" or about 15cm. I know perlite is expensive to buy a small amount but its cheaper than buying air stones and air pumps. Not to mention simpler and quieter!!

You do have holes in the bottom of the tub, yes? You need them to allow the air to rise up through the bottom of the tub and raise humidity.

Try elevating your tub off the surface it is on on small timber blocks or other packers to improve airflow.

Hygrometers are fun to look at but if you have enough perlite you don't need one!!!

i use an airstone and use half the number of holes as you DJ.. if your up for fine tuning your tek this works awesome in my situation. I will definatly be checkin all the links for monotubs, almost converted just by you guys!

d00d

i use an airstone and use half the number of holes as you DJ.. if your up for fine tuning your tek this works awesome in my situation. I will definatly be checkin all the links for monotubs, almost converted just by you guys!

d00d

If you are doing cakes and using BRF then a monotub will be no good for you. Monotubs are used with WBS which means you need a pressure cooker.

Not as easy as cakes but results are more impressive!!

Edited by OPP

Why is a pressure cooker needed? As far as I was aware all colonosation past your initial jars of spawn was done in the tub?

Monotubs are filled with colonised Wild Bird Seed and coir/manure.

Wild bird seed, Rye and other grains contain endospores which germinate (can't think of the correct word) after soaking.

If the Wild Bird Seed is not pressure cooked after soaking it will contaminate and your jars will be full of mould and other nasties.

http://www.shroomery.org/9032/6T-WBS-Tek-Wild-Bird-Seed-Bulk-Spawn-Preparation-Method

www.shroomery.org has ALL the information you will ever need!!

In regards to Monotubs read this:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=boxes&Number=4323984&page=0&fpart=1

THis is a double tub which is just a monotub with and extra tub on top. The monotub has a lid instead of extra tub with holes and polyfill in it.

Edited by OPP

Those reishi and oyster monotubs are awesome. I'm totally gonna try them out once I'm in my own place again.