The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goldtop

Garden Intruder

ime,

cats, possums, and large magpies can cause some pretty hefty damage to trichs :(

I really hope you are joking about wanting to hurt animals rather than just deter them, but I get the impression you are quite angry. Try not to get angry at them... not only is it even more pointless and futile than getting angry at a human, well they are just living out there lives and doing what comes naturally, they are not purposefully trying to harm you.

I think the idea of a deterrent is ideal.. cats also hate orange oil and other pungent things so you could try that. Alternatively, people often use netting or mesh.

I think the suggestions about putting this thread elsewhere were not to criticize you but to help you get more feedback. Although, it seems to be getting a fair amount of traffic here.. people love the bitches and gripes forum and it's been kind of slow in here lately :P

cat trap

Cat_trap.jpg

just about to say what cunt said!!

got ymself one aswell, works a traet when you start seeing bird wings around.

10 points if it has a collar yeah? :)

I fucking hate cats they kill bird and frogs and shit in my garden. I don't kill them because I am trying to be a better person. So in my experience the best way to keep cats and dogs for that matter out of gardens or away from pot plants is to go by a bulk amount of fine white or black pepper, dust it on everything and keep doing it daily for about a fortnight. They soon learn its a shit idea to go sniffing around. Better than poisoning or trapping and drowning them.

Plant more seedlings than you want as a plant sacrifice, hopefully it will appease your predator.

Plant more seedlings than you want as a plant sacrifice, hopefully it will appease your predator.

It doesnt help any man :( the next night lil bastards just comes back for more, sometimes eats some, sometimes knocks off a graft, sometimes leaves a hair ball. Ive picked up some rat traps so hopefully ill catch the culprit. And as psylo pointed out to us, im gonna put in some mint, lavender and geraniums :) so all you cat lovers dont need to stress :P im using natural repellants on these swine. In future my garden should be free of your common animals annoyances. I would never try to kill a peaceful animal, although when a kid touches the stove, they usally wont touch it again. Maybe a little poke or zap would be a lesson learnt to old whiskers, just one other way to solve this problem..if need be :)

sometimes leaves a hair ball.

You should be able to tell what animal it is by the hair. Is it a 'hairball' (cat vomit hair ball) or is it a tuft of fluff/hair?.

i recken tits a poss

those small brown pellet sized poos are a giveaway as is the lil scrags of fur - is the colour of the fur greying or brown in colour?

plus , i've used homemade chilli spray (abundant recipes online) and citrus lemon/orange/lime peels, spread around your garden works a treat. If ya seedlings are squashed or flattened it's more likely to be a filthy pussy prowling around but if ya and cuttings are nibbled or indeed , even eaten , i'd say tit a poss

I dont know amz, im not a cat guy :P ive never had a cat or had an interest in a cats behaviour so i cant really tell the diffence of hair balls. Its a weird looking ball, a brown and smallish clump, if its really obvious id be right, but i cant positivly identify it being from a cat. I have aswell found little rat looking droppings, sort of ginnie pig looking poos. This gives me reason to believe its something else. Tho the hair ball says differently :scratchhead: Who should i blame! My only thought was to go after both cat and rats :)

Do you have an especialy hair neighbour?

Hmmm.. small brownish hairy clump sounds like a pellet that a raptor ejects?. The droppings sound like possum (or rat, depends on the size). Grow an apple tree to lure the 'intruders' elsewhere . :)

Nah man my neighbours a single mama! Smooth as a babys bum :lol:

Amz i couldnt tell if its definatly rat aswell! Im not well trained in the faecal matter department :) Pellet that a raptor ejects?? Whats that? Ive got mango trees going, but once they start producing fruit, these cridders would want to be very careful of who their stealing from! It wouldnt phase me to net off a fruit tree, Ive just got my ethno garden how it should be :) And i want to easily access grafts, seedlings, weeds etc.

If the tuft/fur/ hairball is really soft and tipped with a different color, i would say possum.

EDIT; unless its belly fluff, as that is usually uniform in color :scratchhead:

this is all very interesting I cant wait to find out who the culprit is

Its all one brown colour. If possums have really small poos it might just be a possum. Ive top dressed the garden in pebbles so i cant find any foot prints. But im fearing the worst and have a feeling i may be dealing with a range of different thugs :( Not too sure tho, hopefully a variety of plants can deter all of these fellas from continuing this intrusion. Ill try what stillman said aswell, dust the area with pepper. Mite hear some sneezes outside later on

Me too jwert, mainly for the sake of my garden staying strong! But still it will give an answer if someone else starts to find these weird clues i have laying around

maybe even if its not to windy put some talcum powder around where you think the animal will walk and then you should see the foot prints as clear as day

I havent got any talcum powder on hand, but what i mite do is leave some dirt/dust infront of some cat food. Do the same with cheese and a piece of fruit or whatever a possum eats. Ill see how my rat traps go, and hopefully find some foot prints with this idea jwert :)

Sounds like you should also set up a MILF trap !

You could look to the interwebs for a more innovative solution

And no-one has yet suggested companion planting with some super spiney cactus?

FYI, about the cat trap idea. Most shires lend these for free to residents (some vets too) and any ferral cats caught in them would be dealt with by council.

The trap could help you to identify that your problem actualy is.

Edit: Cant imagine a cat chomping on a cactus btw.

look familiar?

i catalogue and archive all the poo in my yard.........um.........er............for scientific purposes

post-4664-0-32263200-1330670658_thumb.jp

actually, i've been wondering if it would make good fertilizer once it's diluted :scratchhead:

posspoo file archives.jpg

posspoo file archives.jpg

FYI, about the cat trap idea. Most shires lend these for free to residents (some vets too) and any ferral cats caught in them would be dealt with by council.

The trap could help you to identify that your problem actualy is.

Edit: Cant imagine a cat chomping on a cactus btw.

cat-cactus.jpg

unless its a white cat*