The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nzga

The growth and extraction of Ephedra Sinensis

Greetings,

I would like to know when Ma Huang is mature enough to harvest the beneficial juices?

How long do they take to grow to maximum maturity ?

Is the extraction equipment avilable in Australia? If so where ?

Where can I find out more growing and extraction information on this plant besides the information this site provides.

Originally posted by nzga:

Greetings,

I would like to know when Ma Huang is mature enough to harvest the beneficial juices?

The juices contain ephedrine, which is a scheduled drug (ie same schedule as heroin, amphetamine etc).

How long do they take to grow to maximum maturity ?

Commercially they are usually harvested from the 3rd year.

Is the extraction equipment avilable in Australia? If so where ?

You would need alkaloid extraction equipment. It is available from any science supply. However, you should learn about this before contemplating doing it, as it is dangerous in unskilled hands. First year Uni chem would be a good start.

Thanks for your reply to my question.

Ephedrine itself is the base I am looking for. Currently I am on medication (Lung Based Lymphoma) that has Large amounts of this in it , though deal with quite bad side effects from the associated drugs involved. Previously I have asked for a reasonably strong Pseudoephedrine replacement to make it easier to breath , but pure Pseudoephedrine medication is unavailable (I am told by my Oncologist)..

Also...

What makes Alkaloid Extraction any different to other Extraction proceedures ? Is there any further information available on this particular prceedure you mentioned ?

(I am familiar with some types of Fluid extraction)

Originally posted by nzga:

Previously I have asked for a reasonably strong Pseudoephedrine replacement to make it easier to breath , but pure Pseudoephedrine medication is unavailable (I am told by my Oncologist)..

The simple sudafed tablet is pure pseudoephedrine (plus harmless fillers). Your doc would know this.

What makes Alkaloid Extraction any different to other Extraction proceedures ?

Legally it isn't.

Is there any further information available on this particular prceedure you mentioned ?

(I am familiar with some types of Fluid extraction)

personally, I don't see why you need to extracts to pure alkaloid. The tea from the herb is pleasant and can be concentrated to suit any dosage. As tea it appears to still be legal (legal precedent). You could easily get 150mg in a thimble full of tea and I doubt you would need much more than this per dose. However, the speedy effect from ephedrine is much stronger than from pseudo, and if you're worried about side effects, then pseudo is definitely the better choice.

Thanks for your prompt replies..

Pseudoephedrine in a resonable dosage is now illegal, Sudafed 120mg are no longer available in this country, the only thing available (whihc is any help whatsoever )is under prescription a drug called Sudamyl , this though , is Pure Ephedrine which does have the side effects that Pseudo does not.

If you could recommend some other natural remedy that does the same job , that would be good , and less of a headache

I think you will find that the sudafed in the red box is still freely available in packs of 30 and 60. The dosage is 60mg I think. The pills are very small, so popping a few at a time is not a problem. I used to do it for fun many years ago (yes, pityful, I know), so I am sure it can be done out of need.

i bought a pack of 120mg sudafed the other day, they used to be 60mg, now 120mg slow release which i guess is fine for you. i crush em up and gel cap em.

not pitifull at all, is coffee/ephedrine pitifull? good for skateboarding

Holy crap... ephedrine is in the same schedule as heroin in Australia? Thats pretty ridiculous. Does this include whole ephedra plant matter?

You can get Ephedra sinensis from most chinese herbalists , depends on where you live . You can just do a decoction of it . You can also do double extracts of it . By that I mean you will still get actives out of the palnt material on a 2nd brewing . It is gret for asthma especially in combo with grindelia , catnip and coltsfoot { coltsfoot is scheduled as well as are all the effective Asthma herbs }

[This message has been edited by Herbmajik (edited 13 January 2002).]

There is one court precedent where the herb was NOT classed as the same as the active drug constituent. This is very much out of the ordinary and I would expect that to be challenged in a future case (the circumstances for this case were unfortunate for the DEA/TGA). However, until then we have the whole herb offered illegally by chinese herbalists. I say illegally, cos recent laws state that any preparation has to be below a certain concentration of ephedrine. This concentration was ridiculously low so doesn't really help. This would be a TGA matter though, rather than a DEA matter (lower penalties).

Buy it while you can.