The Corroboree

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. Take it from my experience of frying cacti, get them used to the local conditions by having them in a semi shaded area for at least a week and then put them somewhere that gets a good few hours of sun for another week before smashing them with the full force of the sun. That said I think cacti are a bit happier in filtered light anyway. It seems to give them a break instead of fighting against the constant intensity of the sun and the bluer cacti end up much bluer for it too.
  3. MeanGreen

Rhynchites auratus

Just my smartphone camera (Pixel 2xl) and a cheap clip-on macro lens from amazon
  4. sagiXsagi

Acacia acuminata seedlings * tips+suggestions inquiery

Well despite no replies, the 'ephedra treatment' seems to have worked! I am so happy to announce that I have 2 narrow leaf and 2 regular plantlets that are well into going pubescent. Unlike previous attempts that never reached this stage.. So kudos to me. no photo right now. Well I didn't do much - the very early transplant to a very big pot propartionally with the previous , the winter it spent wet on the roof and the full sun must have done its thing.. But it sure took some time.. The stems seemed to curve a lot before they reached a point they exploded into growth. Well I also kept an eye on, but I guess the big pots made it more difficult to mistakenly let it dry more than it should. I guess the next thing to ask is what is the lowest temp they tolerate when wet, as I am thinking of planting them in the ground, 900m altitude. along with some ephedras.
  5. sagiXsagi

harmala alkaloids & pollination

that's pretty interesting! thanks for sharing... but the portion I read, doesnt seem conclusive, especially the 2 mini experiments done with test tubes, described somewhere...
  6. sagiXsagi

Another paper

Very interesting paper, thread and discussion, good ol sab shit. I admit that I dont like very much the 'psychedelic theist' point of view of things, and that I am annoyed that lots of ethno-drug people have been saying for years that the "DMT in the brain thing" is a proven scientific fact. So, I am definately negatively predisposed to a Strassman paper. Go Barker!
  7. sagiXsagi

Brugmansia microdosing

I am not sure an ointment is a micro dose. That said, I will not speak about micro dosing either. There's a cool way to try the beast that tropanes is, that is smoking them. Even better smoking them in combo with alcohol (wine - beer) . Yep it makes a great synergy. So I am with Bardo in this one, only I have done it very rarely, if at all, for sure not for days in a raw. I think henbane *Hyoscyamus sp* is both the best tasting when smoking and the most pleasant of them all due to slightly different alkaloid profile. You can really have a safe-net when smoking , but you should over do it. Effects are relativly rapid when smoking, so stop when you start having dry mouth and dry eyes. These are the signals that tell you "OK, you messed a bit with the devils plants, not stop it" . Depending on various factors, you should be able to smoke 2-3 small hanbane joints before you need to stop. Same drill goes with traditional pilsener beer made with henbane seed. There's a max number of beer you can drink. I really want to do this someday. Problem with all these discussions on ethno boards is that most people are of the psychedelic mentality. Devils plants are not like this though.. They have indeed a 'dont give a shit' mentality even if you are not into delirious stages. That's why it seems to synergise so well with alcohol. Alcohol also has a "dont give a shit' thing when you have drunk a couple. So its not a surprise that lots of psychedelic mentality people say "stay away" . Well, many of them have been in delirious states themselves from overdosing so many that say 'stay away' did not have the cautiousness to go slow and see the beast in mild form. Anyways some people just cant get this thing. So remember you might be one of them. In this vein its also not surprising, that in my experience in ethno boards, the few people that had indeed a connection with tropanes, had experimented with them, knew the score, had a knowledge, where not the psychedelic theist type. No. They were dudes that unlike psychedelic theists / afficionados, they liked alcohol, they had extended experience with amanita muscaria and often other dissociatives. So, different things for different folks, try to learn what the beast is about before you go to meet it. Be safe.
  8. sagiXsagi

Ephedra sp. cultivation notes and discussion

Also it seems my "gerardiana sikemensis" are not at all gerardianas. The same goes - I think - for Thunderhorsey 's gerardiana sikemensis. I believe they are all distachya. I have concluded that a lot of distachya have been sold as gerardiana sikemensis from both german and english nurseries. So if you are in europe and own a gerardiana sikemensis, you'd better think again, because you propably have a distachya. So despite I havent yet got a true gerardiana, my understanding is that it should look like equisetina, or sinica if you dont have an access to equisetina. equisetina seems to be bluer and I think gerardiana is also supposed to be glaucus in most cases. It took me some time but I figured it out: this plant (distachya) when is big enough , is really faster in growth, makes suckers like crazy and creates wider stems. It also can handle much richer soil in nutricients - it also seems to stress first when in extreme heat and direct sun, compared to most other species I have experience with.
  9. sagiXsagi

Ephedra sp. cultivation notes and discussion

it is general thought that putting pebbles around any ephedra plant is a must, so it might be similar with sand - sand could even be better. . At first I thought sinica was a stubborn and more difficult species, but in time I am seeing its not that hard. I hope one of them will be femal so I can get seed. I already got two males.
  10. Cimi

Post your track of the day

A bit misogynistic at the end there but the good parts remind me of this
  11. Big Red

A few Trich cuts

Hi there, tried to pm but though I've been a long time lurker I haven't been much of a poster and have already sent my one and only pm for the day. Will happily take the SS02 x Juuls off your hands if it's still available. Cheers BR
  12. Responsible Choice

Post your track of the day

13. Would anyone be willing to sell or trade a Panellus culture?
  14. The best way to learn how much sun is to much sun is an experiment. If you spend a few seasons experimenting with your growing location youll soon work out which part of your garden receives the best sunlight for growing mature plants, for rooting cuttings, and for transitioning seedlings into mature plants. Then if the cactus bug bites you hard enough youll probably need to find the perfect spot for grafting and germination. Shade cloth can be very helpful. Each to their own, but I don’t fancy rooting cutting sideways, it my experience it slows everything down. During plant embryo formation, the tip and base of the plant is established in an up and down fashion. Plants are constantly regulating their polarity, for example, if cactus tips are planted at a 45-degree angle, give it long enough and the new growth will return to straight (leaving you with a bend at the base). Why, because the plant can sense up from down, and it’s looking to grow up. If the plants polarity is changed, energy is going to be spent moving around internal organelles to the positions they need to be to function, rather they just continuing to function because everything is normal. Plants are using photons CO2 and H2O to produce carbohydrates (photosynthesis), which they use as an energy source (glycolysis). After the cactus has been cut, the majority of its stored energy will be used to produce callus tissue and roots. While I don’t think the cactus needs to photosynthesize and produce energy to initiate rooting (cactus will root in a dark cupboard). I have noticed cactus root faster when exposed to moderate sunlight. This leads me to speculate that moderate sunlight may be increasing the speed of rooting through triggering light activated gene expression. Many important metabolic plant genes are regulated by light, so it makes sense that exposing them to some sun would help during rooting.
  15. Macca

A few Trich cuts

Hey @waterboy 2.0 is the above TBM still for sale?
  16. Paradoxical

Bridgesii 'Sina' cutting and Nitrogen Monstrose seed

Definitely of interest, thanks bardo
  17. Glaukus

Medicinal Weeds

Could be, that's the issue with common names I guess. Always knew it as chickweed.
  18. bardo

Bridgesii 'Sina' cutting and Nitrogen Monstrose seed

Don't know if this is any help or of any interest to you. https://www.trichocereus.com.au/ 29. T. bridgesii 'Essendon’ x T. bridgesii 'Sina’ $8 (100-$20)
  19. I just root them in the cactus mix I make which is just potting mix, sand and perlite, I keep em under cover for a few weeks with prob a few hours direct sun a day, I don't know how much difference it really makes but the bottom half of soil in the pot I wet and top up with the dry mix for the cutting to sit in, I feel it might encourage the roots to develop faster having the moisture available to search out for ?
  20. bardo

Medicinal Weeds

Hey glaukus, I think that would have been petty spurge - euphorbia peplus Looks like chickweed but petty is more upright and chickweed is more sprawling ground cover, chickweed doesn't ooze white sap but petty does and is great for sunspots and such. One good way to tell the difference is petty has a smooth hairless stem and chickweed has a small little hairy mow hawk of hairs, just one line along the stem.
  21. Looking to get my hand on a cutting of Sina. Big or small, the size doesn't matter, as long as it is the characteristic Sina. Also if anyone has any extra seed from Nitrogen's TPM crosses, then I would love to give them a bright future. Alternatively, does anyone know if Nitrogen's TPM itself is available in Australia? If you can help, send me a PM
  22. Yesterday
  23. Alchemica

Medicinal Weeds

Thanks for the pics of different plants @bardo Unfortunately I just get a little tiny symbol as the picture Hadn't got around to my Lactucas but glad you mentioned them. Did some Backyard Weed Medicine Crafting with mine Lactuca virosa and serriola Virosa & serriola should ideally be harvested for their sap whilst in flower, I'm got them before they take over the backyard because I can't deliberately let the garden go too weedy. " Both Serriola and Virosa have similar effects and are very edible but are quite bitter, I found Virosa was just easier to milk because it didn't have spines but overall id say they are on par with each other in terms of strength " - Marty64 "...even with those young tender plants I try to limit how much I eat so I dont get too drowsy. Its sedating but not all that distinctly anxiolytic" - Auxin Wild lettuce was “highly esteemed to quiet coughing and allay nervous irritation, a good safe remedy to produce sleep, to be used when opium and other narcotics are objectionable” "...wild lettuce and especially the the desiccated lactescent juice obtained from it, lactucarium, were considered to be an intoxicant, and were used as a sedative and an analgesic. The action of the substance was weaker than that of opium but free of the side-effects, and medical practice showed that in some cases lactucarium produced better curative effects than opium." [2] The natural compound lactucopicrin may be a promising neurotrophin-mediated neuroprotective candidate for neurodegenerative diseases and is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor while lactucin is an adenosine receptor agonist with analgesic and sedative properties [3,4]. That said, toxicity has been reported [5] https://www.medicinenet.com/wild_lettuce/supplements-vitamins.htm [1] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16621374 [2] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17153150 [3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactucopicrin [4] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactucin [5] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3031874/
  24. It is advisable to cure the ends by leaving your cutting lying on its side in a dry, shady (but well lit) place for 2-3 weeks at least. Planting of the cutting is best done when they are actively growing - ie. not in winter. The most professional method is too root your cutting in perlite. This has the added advantage, that the cutting can be placed onto the dry perlite bed as soon as it is cut and can undergo the drying process there. Once the ends are well cured, the cutting can be partly submerged into the perlite in the position desired. Whether you choose to place your cutting sideways or upright is a matter of choice, but I have found that placing it sideways will generally produce a greater number of new shoots. A tip cutting if placed sideways will bend upwards at the tip and may also produce side-shoots. The reason why side rooting is preferable is the fact that more root fibres develop and the plant receives more nutrients in a shorter period of development, which in turn increases the amount of new growth. The cutting and the surrounding perlite should then be watered. Once watering is started the tray or pot should be placed in a full sun position. My understanding is that in order to send forth roots the plant needs energy for apical cell multiplication. Their energy source is obviously photons, however I think they may be using stored energy for rooting? Someone please correct me on that. I also recently read on here that keeping harvested columns in darkness for a matter of months can increase alkaloid content within the cactus by nearly double.
  25. folias

phyllodium pulchellum seeds :)

A place to buy pullchellum seeds from the UK and also a guide to growing! https://www.arkhamsbotanical.com/shop/seeds/phyllodium-pulchellum-angels-locks-seeds/ https://www.arkhamsbotanical.com/cultivation/how-to-grow-phyllodium-pulchellum-from-seed/
  26. I'm no expert but I'd say shade is better for at least 3 to 4 weeks. I have some cuttings in perlite that haven't rooted and it's been over 2 months. If you put them in the sun they can burn or become etiolated.
  27. Hey all, Got me a few cuttings to grow, the cuts are healed over nicely, just want to check whether the plants are best kept potted in the shade for a few weeks to grow roots before being put out in 6+ hrs direct sun where I'm planning to grow them. Thanks:)
  1. Load more activity