All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Yesterday
  2. El Boso

Kanna

Wow, that looks fancy, tyvm and tyvm for a rooted cutting
  3. Ishmael Fleishman

Kanna

Packed with wet paper towel, I will get it into the post tomorrow. I found a small kanna that already has roots so I gave you that one. Most bags contain at least two cuttings, so this should get you going.
  4. Last week
  5. Wood Chuck

Assorted Cacti Questions

Read up about them splitting, as did not fully understand, something like if they received to much water in summer they split in winter and yes, once split it stays with them for life.
  6. Ishmael Fleishman

Legalisation of kratom

I think we are both right.
  7. I grew up in South Africa; my mother was a coloured South African, and my father was a European. I know firsthand the hatred that festers in that culture. The hatred of anything tainted by colour. Everyone aspires to be white and to adopt the white man's ways. It is rare to find South Africans who take pride in being African. Apartheid bred a generation of people who loathed themselves. Like many Australians, South Africans see themselves as Europeans first and foremost and for those who cannot claim to be white have little to nothing else to hold on to. As a child, I was taught to hate Kaffirs and Muslims. I experienced how apartheid ripped people, families, and communities apart. Let me tell you a story from my childhood. I was walking home from school one day; I would have been about 8 years old. It had been raining that day, and I had to walk a distance to get home from the bus stop. As I was walking along the side of the dirt road, I came to a bus stop at which local black workers and servants were waiting for their bus to get them home. For they were not allowed to be on the street after sundown in my white-only neighborhood. As I approached the stop, an elderly black man turned around and, upon seeing me, stepped aside for me. As he did, he stepped into a muddy puddle of water. I remembered he was wearing brown leather dress shoes, probably the only pair of shoes that poor man owned. Looking down at his wet shoes, he apologised for being in my way. I will always remember his words, "Sorry, Boss.". This is what Apartheid did to us all. It broke this man's spirit and my heart. This is why I always fight for the underdog. Things have only gotten worse in the last 35 years. South Africa is a failed state because it never healed from its collective trauma. It could have been a world leader, the equal of Australia or Canada. Instead the rats are fleeing the sinking ship, stealing everything they can in the process. It is this context that South Africa must be understood.
  8. Slocombe

Legalisation of kratom

I would suggest it's more an extremely low risk tolerance driven by politics and community attitudes.
  9. Slocombe

Free Iresine herbstii cuttings

Does erowid still add things to their experience vaults? Might be good to document given it's traditional use, even if the experience is "no effect"
  10. Ishmael Fleishman

Assorted Cacti Questions

I tend to water and feed my Trichocereus heavily, however my soil is mostly inorganic and drains quickly. The cuttings had no roots until recently and what it now has now is the bare minimum, so I do not think that it could suck up enough water to split. Therefor I suspect that the cutting had the split in it before I got it - I just never noticed before.
  11. Wood Chuck

Assorted Cacti Questions

Sometimes I have had a cactus split by receiving to much water, creating a cavity. It has callused over and had no bearing on the health of the plant.
  12. Wood Chuck

LW ... seeds?

What I usually do is wait about a week after the fruit has formed and pluck the fruit from the plant, there should be very little resistance.
  13. El Boso

Kanna

Thanks!
  14. Ishmael Fleishman

Kanna

If you cover my cost for postage - I can send you cutting of Sceletium tortuosum Sceletium emarcidum Delosperma bosseranum Delosperma echinatum Trichodiadema stellatum Lampranthus spectabilis (red) Mesembryanthemum (Aptenia) cordifolium (purple) Message me if you are interested.
  15. El Boso

Kanna

Looking for a Kanna -Sceletium Tortuosum- cutting, for ornamental purpose. Thanks
  16. Alchemica

No experience with consumption myself either but maybe I need to expel some bad spirits....
  17. fyzygy

I've been propagating this for a while now, but have no experience with consumption. How does it taste? Grows well from cutting, but not from seed, in my (limited) experience.
  18. Doing lots of cuttings of this at the moment, if someone wants to grow it get in touch here. No WA/TAS. Tea has been prepared from the leaves, rich in antioxidants. Iresine herbstii (Amaranthaceae), traditionally called “cimora se˜ norita”, is used in black magic (De Feo, 2003) and in association with San Pedro for magic rituals (Friedberg, 1959; Dobkin De Rios, 1977; De Feo, 2003), to diagnose illness, and to take possession of another identity (Cruz-Sanchez, 1948). Its leaves are claimed, for external use, a skin depurative, whereas the aerial part decoction is known to be an antipyretic (De Feo, 2003). - anti-inflammatory, cytotoxic and apoptotic activities and antioxidant activity - affinity for the 5-HT1AR - affinity for 5-HT2C receptor and for D1 receptor (MeOH extract) - lower affinity for D1 and higher affinity for D2 receptors (Aq. extract) - presumable antagonist action on D1 and D2 receptors by Iresine (both extracts) Leaves: 2,5-Dimethoxy-6,7-(methylenedioxy)-isoflavone; acylated betacyanins Roots: oleanolic acid and its saponins. An alcoholic extract of the root showed the presence of amino acids, steroids, triterpenoids, alkaloids and coumarins. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.11.022 https://doi.org/10.1076/phbi.34.3.184.13212
  19. fyzygy

Assorted Cacti Questions

There's no need to repot those seedlings. I'd wait until after winter.
  20. Ishmael Fleishman

Assorted Cacti Questions

A few cacti questions: When should seedlings be replanted? I planted these Trichocereus Pachanoi Timewarp OP from NZ about 18 months ago, they struggled at the start but have picked up and now many are 10cm tall. Should I replant them now, or wait until spring or just leave them in their current pots until they are a little bigger? They are showing some fat & unusual growth, included twisted growth and lumpiness. I have a cutting of Trichocereus peruvianus that is doing something odd. It has grown roots, but it developed a cavity between two ribs. I first thought it was rot, however I used a cotton bud and tuck it into the cavity and it felt solid and nothing rotten was found. Is this kind of cavity something normal? My priced Trichocereus bridgesii cutting came to me as a 5 rib cutting, over the last 3 years it has grown over 1.2 meters and has gone from a 5 to a 8 rib beauty and its showing unusual lumpy growth. It is showing promise of becoming a 9 rib bridgesii soon. Just a boast. Lastly I have a Pachanoi that was rescued when it came to me it was a lime green, suffering rot from over watering and was badly scarred. It has been more then a year and regular feeding it has finally gotten some color and is showing new growth. Now the question of it being a PC? The areoles point up but the spine point straight out - not up. It is missing the eyebrows above the areoles but it the ribs are fat, not deep. Thoughts? Hybrid?
  21. fyzygy

LW ... seeds?

I imagine this "fruit" to be full of seeds. Any advice on how/when to harvest them?
  22. Therefore2.0

Acacia Phlebophylla germination method

That's what these strains are for ideally..... Pea, lentil, mung. $5 a pack.
  23. The nutrients in that mix might be counter-productive for the purposes of germination. I had a batch of A. phlebophylla seedlings that I killed (wilting, shrivelling, and dying pretty much as you describe) because I accidentally fertilised them. Seeds in general, I reckon, are self-sufficient and have no need of additional nutrients. So I tend to avoid fertiliser at this stage, as a rule of thumb. For potting on, once established, native potting mix from Bunnings gives good results. Bunnings also sells coarse river sand for propagation, your best friend. Here's what Simmons recommends (scanned pages with info here) Seed growing mix: 3 parts washed or sterilised coarse river sand 1 part peat moss or aged crushed pine bark or 3 parts perlite 1 part peat moss Potting on mix: 3 parts coarse river sand 1 part peat moss or old milled bark 1 part loam or perlite or 2 parts sand 1 part peat 1 part gravel with old manure or compost added Cutting mixture: 3 parts coarse river sand 1 part peat moss or old crushed bark 1 part perlite or a soil-less mix 3 parts perlite 1 part peat moss
  24. Sib Mackern

Acacia Phlebophylla germination method

Poor wording on my part, it's a potting mix from bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/scotts-osmocote-25l-native-premium-potting-mix_p2961492 Thanks for the info and i will definitely reach out for some tubestock if all else fails (although i'm likely to keep trying stubbornly until i'm successful )
  25. Google "Simmons" on this site for cultivation tips. Information from her book Growing Acacias. Leggy suggests they're looking for more sunlight. I don't know what "native soil mix" means, but it could be overcharged with nutrients. I tend to avoid peat moss for acacias. I wouldn't even bother trying without coarse river sand. I transplant them to tubes after they've germinated en masse, and developed true phyllodes. Mine start off life in a greenhouse, so I doubt that your indoor humidity is the problem. They do need to be gradually acclimatised to less humid conditions. I have some acuminata (narrow phyllode) seedlings in grow tubes that are ready to go, if you get desperate.
  1. Load more activity