All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past hour
  2. Today
  3. Thank you very much Micromegas! yay I know what to call it now and my friend will be really happy to too :3 Bless ya mate , have a super day tew! x
  4. If evolution is real, then how come we don't have chimps giving birth to men today? Where are the missing links? Where are the so called crockoducks?Has anyone ever seen a bull-sheep?
  5. @Mapacho pm sent. Gotta say I'm loving that list lol. My wish list is in your your inbox
  6. The tip or apical growth is where you should Bap it if no visible areoles are present.
  7. Horsey, this ones for you.
  8. The main issue here being sterility. I've read that Oryzalin doesn't survive autoclaving and so the pure Oryzalin I used for the callus experiment was dissolved then filter sterilised and added to media post-autoclave. Given that I'm out of 0.2uM syringe filters, and I'm crossing my fingers that the Surflan is as close to sterile as practicable, being dissolved in something hostile to life like DMSO. So I just pipetted it raw into some sterile distilled water flasks using sterile tips. This'll be the first place things can fuck up if the Surflan has fugly spores of anything in it.
  9. Fuggit. That wasn't the Surflan solution I got from Teon that I used for that experiment, it was some old pure Oryzalin stock for micropropagation. Threw it in some callus regen mix I had for a species I have a full callus regen protocol for, but because the species is variable in morphology while in culture I need to wait until plants are deflasked and in the ground to monitor for gross changes of horticultural interest. While they're in the jars they could be anything. The kill curve was nice over the Oryzalin gradient tho, so I'm hoping for some happy results. Since I don't have a flow cytometer handy I thought I'd save time and check the stomates under a microscope against the controls, but that wasn't possible with my very limited microscopy skills. Couldn't see a damn thing. So we're back at wait-and-see. For a bunch of reasons results should be in by Xmas I only just finished running the wetwork for the Surflan experiment a minute ago, and fuck it's the most virulent orange solution I've ever seen. Fair burned my eyes out with colour. I ran it using in-vitro apical tips, because this other species doesn't have a working callus culture protocol yet. And I used tiny tips because I don't want to give any cells the chance to encourage other cells to revert back to diploidy. Everything survived the 1:200 soak for 24 hrs ( I used the lower level for all explants- in-vitro plants have their stomates more open as they are adapted to a high humidity environment ). Actually I was surprised how much they were in good nick, given I didn't throw any nutes or sugar in there and if I'd spent 24 hrs in a place that orange I would have died of bleeding eyeballs I wasted a fuckton of time looking for an optimal protocol for this then realised I should go for the simplest one as I haven't run the experiment at all before, so I'm not expecting superlative results. First time is indeed lucky if something good happens There are a couple of minor things I'd do differently but overall it was just a cut and soak on the orbital shaker for 24 hrs, 3x rinse in water, recut ends and place in media Normally I eschew anything with this much liquid handling if I can avoid it, throwing round multiple liquids over multiple explant batches is a prime way to introduce contam. Fingers crossed we didn't get any. Writing up the notes now. There were 46 explants treated. Interested to see if there's a kill rate. Wish me luck Thanks Teonacatl for the chance to give this a whirl <3
  10. Hey cactus amigos, I like this community vibe going at the moment! I actually came on here to post some seedlings for sale but this meet looks cool and I should be right to make it down, workload permitting. I am trying to whittle down my trich collection at the moment , as I have grown a surplus of hybrids and chavin herbalists seeds from South America. Of course I know every little fella could be an epic beast when it puts on its big boy pants, but they have to go and I'd love to spread them around, especially in WA. So let me know if any of you are keen to grab some in the meantime, and I'm sure there'll be some to bring down to the meet. Graft the shit out of them, please! I also have some peru and random bridge cuts to shift. I'm also happy to show and share with people how to graft if they need some pointers. Its pretty basic tbh and there are plenty of different methods, but I'm sure between us we can show a variety of ways. There are definitely a few simple tricks and tools I like to use that have increased the take ratio to 95%+. I'll see if I can gather some grafting stock to bring. Seedlings from South America: Vision Quest 1 (Pach from ecuadorian shaman family) Pumacayan (chavin jaguar temple pach) Pomachanca (chavin temple pach) Legendary Matucana Pachanoi (famous for...stuff) Surco (peru from CH) Collana Pichu (peru from village as named, revered by villagers) El Lanzon (seeds from the famous chavin mother plant that got hacked) Huari (Peru from CH) Spineless huarimayo (Peru from CH) Tarica (santaensis from CH, fat AF mother plant) Mal Paso (beast peru from CH) Wuallac (fat Af santaensis) Huarazino (peru from Huaraz) Some of these are low in supply. Hybrids: Peru2 x Icaros SS01/SS02 x Pach Jessica Icaros x SS02/SS01 Macro x Lumberjack Psycho x Sharxx Huarazensis x Pach Jessica TPM x Sharxx Sharxx X TPM Icaros x Sharxx Icaros x Brad Sharxx x J3 (some cuts, a couple of seedlings...only got 10 from rod as they are sup[er rare) Super Pedro x Rosei 1 Rod x Rosei 2 Rosei 1 x Yowie Rosei 1 x MG red spine Rosei 1 x Fields pach Rosei 2 x MG red spine Rosei 2 x Rod MGred spine x Rosei 2 CLiff x Bridge short spine Cliff x Rod CLiff x MG Red spine Cliff x Yowie Cliff x Peru sp. Cliff x PC Knuthinaus "Dawsons" x sharxx I might have some sharxx x ben, sharxx x J3 pups and various other pups or cuts that will be clones of my faves or degrafts. and perhaps a couple of wee sharxx x tpm grafted crests. I'll generally do the price by eye but I'd guess the seedlings will be about $2-$3 for the small 1" trays, (most would be 3-8cm), and about the same ratio on any larger seedling stuff I bring. Some of the SA ones cost me more (Lanzon, LMP) so they'll be a bit more. I'll do a discount for bulk/group purchases too. The more you get the cheaper I'll make it I also have a few cliff cuts and psycho0 cuts, bridge and peru cuts I'm keen to move. Lastly I have a 4 foot 4 bulb and 2 foot 4 bulb t5 HO light that I'm happy to let go of for a good deal too, perfect if anyone's getting into growing.
  11. Hashslingr, great post. I'm glad you spoke of Wallace, the man doesn't get enough credit, while he didn't have Darwin's connections, he certainly did far more field work. Given the timing, I personally would not be surprised if Darwin's rewrite plagiarised Wallace. Evolutionary theory was around before these two, Lamarckism in particular is interesting.
  12. When I was very young, working as a kitchen hand. Every day I had to chop lots of parsley, put it in a tea towel, rise it under the tap, then twist the tea towel and squeeze out the juice. This allowed the parsley to keep better on the bench during service. One of the chefs told me that drinking the juice would get you stoned, so I tried it. It does get you a bit stoned. I started saving up several days worth to try a bigger dose, but the boss told me it ruins your liver so I through it out.
  13. @crop white skin is speculated to have been an evolutionary response to less sunny climates and our need to produce vitamin D. Doesn't seem to have been necessary in Oz
  14. One of the things they talk about a lot in documentaries about Darwin and popular books about evolutionary theory is the process of Darwin's own research, and his delay then eventual publication and publicising of the theory. The story goes that beginning in late 1831 Darwin was aboard the HMS Beagle on a survey voyage around parts of the coast of America. Darwin was on board as a passenger, rather than a surveyor or naturalist, but his intention was to collect specimens and further his knowledge of natural history. As the Beagle worked its way up and down the coastlines of the southern tip of America Darwin spent weeks or months working ashore. When the ship reached Brazil Darwin got truly psyched, shooting 80 birds in a single morning, on one occasion. He collected everything of interest he could get his hands on, living, recently dead, and fossilised, got bummed out by seeing slavery in action, and began thinking about the similarities and differences between species across time and geographies. When he arrived home in 1836 Darwin enlisted the help of naturalists to describe and classify his specimens. He spent years editing a five volume work on the zoology of the Beagle's voyage and writing a book on its geology. At this time it was generally and strongly believed that species were fixed, although the idea of species' transmutation had been proposed by some. Since at least 1837, he was putting together the bigger picture of these detailed studies. He speculated that races of creatures must alter to fit the changing conditions in the world. Convinced that species were not fixed, but changed over time, he studied the fossil record and present day specimens, paying attention to features like nonfunctional leg bones in snakes and nonfunctional wings on birds. When his zoologist mate John Gould told him that the Galapagos birds he'd thought were completely different species were actually all finches, he realised this could be an example of descent with modification. That the birds came from different islands got him thinking about how environmental conditions must play a role in this modification, their different shaped beaks being better suited to their different diets. He sought the mechanism behind the modifications. He knew that farmers could create new varieties of cattle and plants by selectively breeding them, and he extrapolated that it might be possible that over a very long period of time such varieties, cut of from their parent populations as they are on islands, could form new species that had become so different that they could no longer interbreed. Charlie D started getting around to livestock shows and pigeon racing events, even got himself his own set of pigeons so that he could study the breeding process first hand. By 1838 his notebooks show that he had already figured out that species did evolve, and he wanted a better idea of why and how they did it. His interest was roused by things like that in a little of black dogs there was often a brown one or two, or that in a clutch of pigeon squabs there'd be those with wider or narrower wings. Darwin read Malthus, who had applied the idea naturalists had noted about plants and animals having far more offspring or producing far more seed that could survive because of the resources available to them. Combining the idea of competition for resourced, with variation in groups of young, with those variations sometimes being advantageous or disadvantageous in terms of the plant or animal's ecological niche, Darwin started to put it all together. The ones that have an advantage in the competition for resources or in avoiding an early death, were more likely to make it to reproduction age, to reproduce, and to produce offspring with similarly advantageous traits. Over many generations, these variations would manifest as standard characteristics. Natural selection was the mechanism Daz had been looking for. In 1842 he wrote a 35 page summary of his idea. The argument was based on the at-least multi-million year history of the earth, the mutability of species, variations between geographically isolated groups, the changing environmental conditions of the earth and the specificities of environments in different locations, intergenerational variation within species and varieties, the heritability of traits, the fact that only some of each generation of offspring survive long enough to reproduce. He expanded it to 231 pages of the next couple of years. In the first part of the longer work he described how natural selection works, in the second part he provided arguments for and against the theory. For almost 20 years after writing the ideas down Darwin sat on them. He knew that Victorian society viewed ideas about natural laws as an affront to God's Law, and having thought of going into the seminary prior to his voyage on the Beagle he knew pretty well where the bible stood on the idea of species. Public figures had already expressed serious disapproval over the idea of natural laws. Alfred Lord Tennyson wrote a poem called "In Memoriam" about being cut up by the idea that we are natural creatures emerging from a set of physical processes. Darwin's wife Emma had written him a letter about her fear that they would be separated for eternity when he got barred from heaven for thinking he knew better than the bible. He wanted the theory to be watertight before he released it to the world. He wanted more appropriate credentials. He wanted more evidence. He wrote a four volume work on barnacles and got some cred, and by 1856 his mates had convinced him it was time to publish the work on descent with modification through natural selection. After working on the book for a couple of years Darwin got a manuscript in the mail from a bloke called Alfred Russel Wallace, who was a champion in his own right. He published on the possibility of life on other planets, and was a mad tripper, writing that "man consists essentially of a spiritual nature or mind intimately associated with a spiritual body or soul, by of which are developed in and by means of a material organism", and "matter is essentially force, and nothing but force; that matter, as properly understood, does not exist, and is, in fact, philosophically inconceivable". He proved the curvature of the earth to a flat-earther who then cheated him out of the money offered for such a proof. He was a proponent of the equality and civility he found in indigenous societies he met with on his travels, and attacked industrial Britain's social and moral organisation on this basis. He was vocally critical of the institution of privately owned land (which had replaced the commons in Britain), and also about the accumulation of great amounts of wealth by individuals. He was skeptical about some claims made about vaccinations, suspected dangers of vaccination were being covered up by the medical establishment, and argued that a reduction in smallpox owed to improvements in hygiene and sanitation at a time when germ theory was in its infancy. He was against globalised trade and imperialism. You might remember his (claimed) ancestor William Wallace from Braveheart. Wallace was a radical who started his own explorations in naturalism already subscribed to the theory of the transmutation of species. Wallace wanted to amass evidence for the hypothesis he'd read in Vestiges of the Natural History of Creation, a book published anonymously that speculated that everything in existence was not fixed since creation, but had earlier forms. In the same vein as Darwin's reflections on finch modification being selected for by different islands' geographies, Wallace had written about things like variation among groups of animals being due to biogeographical barriers. While Darwin had been wringing his hands about his theory of modification by descent, Wallace had been in the field amassing evidence about the same questions, how and why do variances lead to speciation, and why do species die out over time. Wallace came to the same conclusions Darwin had about ecological pressures regulating evolutionary change. Wallace sent an article to Darwin in 1958, asking that he read it and pass it on if he thought it worthy of publication. Darwin found that it read like a summary of the book he was working on, and had been thinking about for 20 years. He sought advice from a distinguished geologist, and they made a plan to present Darwin's and Wallace's research to the Linnean Society. Darwin, who still felt a long way off the book he wanted to write, quickly re-wrote his research into a shorter (though still over 400 pages) manuscript and published it. It argued that species change over time to fit their ecological niche, and that the mechanism for this was natural selection. The book covered many species, living and extinct, and studiously tried to avoid the question of humans, no doubt to soften the blow to the status quo who found the idea of human evolution a personal insult and an affront to religious doctrine. Many prominent members of the clergy reacted as anticipated, rejecting the idea that life could exist without a creator (a point Darwin and Wallace disagreed on). That the book highlighted the perceived cruelty of a nature that produces an abundance in conditions that cannot support it was also a difficult point for those who believed in a benevolent god. Even some private supporters of Darwin did not give their public support, and so added weight against the new theory. In the debates that followed, slick-talking members of the clergy like Samuel "Soapy Sam" Wilberforce attacked the theory with appeals to emotion rather than criticisms of the science, and won many over with this approach. Wilberforce himself is the progenitor of an anti-evolution argument still heard today, asking his opponent Thomas Huxley (grandfather of Aldous Huxley) in a public debate whether the ape in Huxley's family tree was on his mother's or father's side. Huxley responded that he'd rather have an ape ancestor than be a man of considerable influence who used his gifts to introduce ridicule to what should have been a scientific debate. The audience went wild and a woman fainted to demonstrate her approval, as was the style of the time. Huxley tagged Joe Hooker into the ring, and Hooker eviscerated Soapy Sam for having come to the debate without having read or understood the book. He then defended the claims of Darwin's book on the basis of their scientific merits. The debate ended and was discussed and remembered, at the time, more for its emotion and insults than for its science. Evolutionary theory aside, some things never change.
  15. Anyone explored themselves high(er) doses of this? Basil serum levels were dropping so a quick venture to the community garden to get parsley'd for the evening. Brewed up a strong dose to enjoy after a productive day. It's set seed... perfect for high resonance phenylpropanoid essential oil and good doses of flavonoids. I grow a bit at home but there is masses at the community garden. Initial verdict: been sipping away, seems more sedative than I get with chamomile teas, even lots of tea bags... and taste isn't at all bad. Quite pleasant, I'll likely use this more. I have to find some references for % flavonoids in different aerial parts, can't spot anything at the moment. Summarised from: Parsley: a review of ethnopharmacology, phytochemistry and biological activities https://doi.org/10.1016/S0254-6272(14)60018-2 Parsley's medicine: - Antioxidant activity - Antidiabetic activity - Analgesic and spasmolytic activity - Immunomodulating activity - Antimicrobial and cytotoxic activity - CNS: neuroprotective and sedative Phenolic compounds and flavonoids particularly apigenin, apiin and 6″-Acetylapiin; essential oil mainly myristicin and apiol; and also coumarins are the active compounds identified in Petroselinum crispum. Wide range of pharmacological activity including antioxidant, hepatoprotective, brain protective, anti-diabetic, analgesic, spasmolytic, immunosuppressant, anti-platelet, gastroprotective, cytoprotective, laxative, estrogenic, diuretic, hypotensive, antibacterial and antifungal activities have been exhibited for this plant in modern medicine. Petroselinum crispum seeds have been claimed to be antimicrobial, antiseptic, astringent, gastrotonic, antidote, antispasmodic, carminative, digestive and sedative and is used for gastrointestinal disorder, inflammation, halitosis, kidney stone, and amenorrhoea Flavonoids apigenin, cosmosiin, oxypeucedanin hydrate and apiin were detected from aqueous extract of Petroselinum crispum. 6"-Acetylapiin, a flavone glycoside, and petroside, its monoterpene glucoside, were isolated for the first time from methanol extract of Petroselinum crispum aerial part. It's said to be rich in luteolin. Myristicin, apiol, cnidilin, isoimperatorin, diosmetin, 7-O-β-D-glucopyranoside and kaempferol 3-O-β- D-glucopyranoside were found Miscellaneous compounds Carotenoids including β-carotene, lutein, violaxanthin and neoxanthin were detected in Petroselinum crispum leaf and stem. Moreover, ascorbic acid is identified in Petroselinum crispum. So too, coumarins: Oxypeucedanin is the major furocoumarin of Petroselinum crispum and is responsible for contact photodermatitis induced by this plant. Psoralen, isopimpinellin, 8-methoxypsoralen, 5-methoxypsoralen and imperatorin are other furocoumarins isolated from its leaf and root. Toxicity and tolerability In ethnomedicine, it has been claimed that parsley is abortificient. Acute toxicity of was evaluated in rat and no toxicological effect was observed.
  16. Yeh mate white skin must have come from somewhere (neanderthal maybe), as someone constantly battling skin cancer I'm having problems coming up with any evolutionary advantage (suggestions anyone). As for not being able to tell skin colour from genetics, there are many genes linked to skin pigment. Probably the most important being SLC24A5 which is present in pretty much all white skinned people. another interesting one is MFSD12 which is strongly linked to the production of melanin, one mutation causes very dark skin, while another causes the skin condition Vitiligo, in combination with other genes it can cause white skin. With so many different genes at play, I agree it's hard to know for sure.
  17. Your message that said perhaps hit it with BAP. Since it doesn't have areoles, is there anywhere on the segment I should aim for? Thnaks for the input! I have since done 2 L williamsii grafts with success (and 2 failures which I've put down to grow roots)
  18. Lol. Edited that post many times, came out pretty weird. Didnt know what I was trying to say or achieve exactly and there was no need to get into all that shit really, i cant help myself.
  19. If you get interested and I have success getting the seeds up, you're welcome to some seedlings @waterboy 2.0
  20. looks like a chilli, easy to see they're related
  21. @Alchemica Thanks mate and appreciated, mostly the images I came across focused on the flower display, which are impressive. The foliage is appealing to my eye
  22. So many basils, so little time... each seems to be quite unique, not just in taste but potentially healing potential? What makes Holy Basil 'Holy' and other basils not as Holy? Likewise other plants? Regardless of whether or not you believe in a literal “spiritual” aspect to plants, some sacred plants are holy because a particular tradition has worked with it for millenia, and developed that kind of understanding of it. Some are considered holy because they can induce altered states of consciousness. Others, like corn, are considered holy because they help sustain human life. I find medicinally high dosing on O. basilicum and varieties quite nicely uplifting in a spiritual way. Really like my Thai Basil (pictured) taste wise, want to medicinally dose up on that one at a higher dose, it has an interesting profile of constituents. Only tried a small dose of Lemon Basil, that one contains an oil rich in nerol (23.0%) and citral (20.7%). It seems to have flavonoids like nevadensin/salvigenin. That said there seems to be chemotypes, within each type of basil... Methyl chavicol (81.82 %), β-(E)-ocimene (2.93 %) and α-(E)-bergamotene (2.45 %) were found to be the dominant constituents in Thai Basil (O. basilicum var. thyrsiflora) oil in one assay (another found O. basilicum var. thyrsiflora oil had 68.0% linalool) while O. basilicum contained predominantly linalool (43.78 %), eugenol (13.66 %) and 1,8-cineole (10.18 %). O. basilicum var. thyrsiflora contained cinnamic acid, gallic acid, methylgallate, ellagic acid, methyl ellagic acid, apigenin, luteolin, vitexin, isovitexin, and 3″-O-acetylvitexin, along with catechin, caffeic acid, coumaric acid and sinapic acid Thai Basil O. tenuiflorum (Holy Basil) has variety of phenolic acids such as caffeic acid, rosmarinic acid, flavonoids, and essential oils. Methyl chavicol (estragole), linalool, eugenol, 1, 8-cineole, and methyl cinnamate are the main compounds responsible for the typical aroma. The chemical composition of volatile oil is highly complex and comprises high ratio of phenylpropanoids and terpenes, and some phenolic compound or flavonoids such as orientin and vicenin. O. gratissimum had the following major phenolics: Rutin, quercitrin, and luteolin (flavonoids); ellagic and chlorogenic acids (phenolic acids). The essential oil of Ocimum gratissimum contains eugenol, other assays finding it rich in thymol. Also have a Pepper Basil... have to research that one. And a Camphor Basil
  23. ... it rains!
  24. This is true, and my new location is way drier, and that seems to be the issue, but raising humidity is also causing rot. Nice looking cuts there man, i may need to hook up a pump and a rubbermaid then...just got some fresh IBA and NAA so will try, my old bottles long expired haha so no surprise they weren't so effective. but i woudl note your cuttings are from 5 month old seedlings. when my plants were younger, under a couple years, and not yet blooming they were also one of the easiest things in the world to strike roots. even just a cup of water i got 80%+. but after blooming things changed drastically. wondering if others had similar experiences or just im dropping the ball... One and the same, but it doesnt grow wild here, i sometimes go traveling to collect plants when i need a break from local life haha ;)
  1. Load more activity