The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

"Rapé dos indios"

Olmedioperebea sclerophylla (fam. Moraceae)

This might be an interesting plant as it was mentioned in the conference discussion section of "The Botany and Chemistry of Cannabis - Joyce and Curry, 1970, p 71"* between Mechoulam and Shultes, that this tree was used by natives in the Amazon river area as a psychotomimetic snuff. They proposed that a possible compound related to a cannabinoid might be present.

Anyone familiar with this specimen or have additional info on it.

*also reported in "Ethnopharmacologic Search for Psychoactive Drugs - Schultes, R. E. 1967, p302"

The only references that I have state that evidince is circumstantial. It appears that Maquira calophylla contains a cardiac glycoside aptly named as maquiroside A.

Re: sclerophylla

"Effects suggestive of amphetamine like-like stimulation were found in rats, but further study id required to how that this was not due to toxic effects mimicking central stimulation." - De Carvalho and Lapa (1990)

The powdered bark of Maquira sclerophylla is consumed as snuff in north Brazil. Both the crude and the purified hydrosoluble extract (WP) injected i.p. in the dose range of 0.05-0.5 g/kg induced hyperexcitability, tremors, motor incoordination, ataxia, quietness and muscle relaxation in rats. The effects were progressive, dose-related and reversed after 30 min. Anesthetized rats, guinea-pigs and dogs injected with the purified extract (10-50 mg/kg, i.v.) showed a biphasic change of carotid blood pressure. The early and transient hypotension was blocked by atropine but not by vagotomy: the secondary hypertension was long lasting and sustained for over 30 min. The hypertension was shortened but not blocked after ganglionic blockade or reserpine treatment. Either pithing or alpha receptor blockade with yohimbine reduced both effects of the extract. Guinea-pigs and dogs were more responsive than rats and died by heart arrest. Incubation of WP (20 micrograms/ml) increased both the rate and force of contraction of isolated guinea-pig right atria by 2 and 5 times, respectively. Propranolol (4 micrograms/ml) blocked the chronotropic effect but did not decrease the inotropic effect. In electrically driven guinea-pig left atria, WP (10 micrograms/ml) increased the force of contraction by 80% and the maximum rate of force development by 60%, but did not change the time to peak tension, the time to 50% relaxation, or the rate of relaxation. These cardiovascular effects resemble those of digitalis-like drugs. Cardenolides were detected in WP by phytochemical screening.

Im thinking they made the conclusion because at the time of publishing there was confusion as to the taxonomic statsu of cannabis

some placed it in the moraceae

others urticaceae

so its not a great jump in that academic climate to think that maybe other moreaceae contain cannabinoids

but now cannabis is firmly in its own family

cannabaceae along with at least 2 Hops species

so the reason for an assumption might lose its obvious connection outside of a specific place in academic history

still interesting, maybe more so since we have no leads as to probable actives now

Isn't the Moraceae often included in the order Urticales?

Isn't the Moraceae often included in the order Urticales?

I'm sure they are seperate, with cannabis and humulus found in either Moraceae or Urticales (sub family Cannaboideae), or in it's own family Cannabaceae.

Thanks for the info so far, Since this was an old reference I thought there would be some info out there already.

I was under the impression that bioassays on insufflated cannabinoid containing substances proved to be negative.

Finely powdered Cannabis trichomes was reported to be ineffective, and rather painful at that.

Of course I have no links to back up my claims because all this sort of research was conducted on Overgrow.

there are a few members of the fig family used as psychoactives,this is not the only one,and suspicious references to using normal fig parts like the latex.

t s t .

there are a few members of the fig family used as psychoactives,this is not the only one,and suspicious references to using normal fig parts like the latex.

t s t .

No teaseing Tantra. Care to elaborate some?

think there are a few more with more obscure refs but quick and easy from ratsch.........

brosimum acutifolium ssp aboratum

cecropia mexicana and cecropia sp..........i'm very interested in following up these and also....

helicostylis tomentosa

and as aya additives.........

coussapoa tessmannii

ficus insipida

ficus ruiziana

ficus sp

shultes and raffauf in 'the healing forest' state ......alkaloids,sterols,triterpenes,coumarins and flavonoids are found in the genus......ficus anthelmintica,fruit is considered aphrodesiac and memory improving....a number of sp used as fish poisons.

t s t .

Edited by t st tantra

Thanks Tantra.

I believe the cecropia species would be valued for their highly alkaline ash.

a few of these plants are ash sources but that does not mean they are not psychoactive [alone],cecropia and helicostylis are said to be used as canabis substitutes.

t s t .

figs in genera; occupy realms of significance only otherwise held by psychoactives or staple foods

to b so important a plant had better be bloody useful and impressionaby so

I suspect F religiosa and F benghalensis among others have more the share in the long term

Thanks for dredging up this thread, it inspired me to make a tobacco snuff. It definitely packs a punch.

• Like 1

Roopey, can you briefly describe how you make the snuff and perhaps other additives that might make things more interesting?

Well, my way is probably less traditional, but gives a great buzz. I took some dried leaves and powdered them up, then put lemon essential oil all over the top and set it on fire and let all the oil burn off. This further dried up the leaves/stem so that I can make a fine powder, and left behind the salts from the oil. So powdered again, and this time out came a very fine powder/ash that goes pretty smoothly up the nostril. This morning I've been snorting it pretty heavily and I am feeling fantastic, there were even some points in there where I was on a cloud. Very powerful medicine.

I am now curious to try other oils that might mix well, ie. Nutmeg, chamomile, cinnamon, etc. It might burn a bit though, we'll just have to see. Nutmeg is definitely next on the list.

Edited by Roopey
  • Like 2

Hey Roopey, sounds interesting :). What kind of baccy do you use?

Cheers

jox

None that you could buy at a store. :)

If you were going to use store-bought, I would make sure it's chem-free as I don't think you want all that crap going straight into you like that. I suggest only doing this with stuff that you know how it was grown, and you did the harvesting of, but that could just be me.

I would also make sure that all the oil burns off, I doubt that it would be very pleasant otherwise.

Edited by Roopey

I would never think of using store bought baccy, I was wondering if you use N.tabacum or N.rustica or a blend or something different?

Cheers

jox

• Like 1

Oh, it was N. Tobacum leaf. I have some rustica that I am drying out now though, should be interesting.

• Like 1

So I made up the nutmeg version of the snuff today with fantastic results. Much stronger and last a good while, I did use a fair amount of oil this time, but burned it all off again, making a snuff that you only have to have a few lines of and your good for an hour or more. I need to come up with a good ratio of weight of tobacco/drops of oil, so I can add this to my recipe book.

I'm getting much stronger effects from the oils when taken this way than I ever did ingesting them orally. I'm a bit afraid to put cinnamon in, it might be too strong! We'll have to wait and see what kind of tolerance build up happens, or for me to grow a pair of balls.

Edited by Roopey

cinnamon could be irritating to the membranes. Can I ask: how do you finely power into snuff consistency? Do you use some sort of machine? I've never had any luck getting that fine with spice grinders...

would love to try some snuff rustica when it's ready!

Yeah, I'm just using a coffee grinder, but I couldn't get it to powder up properly until I set it on fire. I suppose you don't have to use oil for this if you can get a bit creative, ie starting a fire and then roasting the tobbaco on top. Once it has been roasted, then it powders down really well, and makes for a nice smooth snuff. The oils add a bit of burn, but it is only momentary and then passes.

post-9988-0-98825900-1366429910_thumb.jp

post-9988-0-09441900-1366429925_thumb.jp

post-9988-0-28308800-1366429943_thumb.jp

Edit: Pictures added

post-9988-0-98825900-1366429910_thumb.jpg

post-9988-0-09441900-1366429925_thumb.jpg

post-9988-0-28308800-1366429943_thumb.jpg

post-9988-0-98825900-1366429910_thumb.jpg

post-9988-0-09441900-1366429925_thumb.jpg

post-9988-0-28308800-1366429943_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roopey