The Corroboree
Auxin

Hot Peppers may be good for your butt

Found a interesting blurb in the news, it seems there is evidence that orally administered capsaicin may induce apoptosis of human prostate cancer cells.

Cancer can't stand the heat

Thursday 16 March 2006, 6:57 Makka Time, 3:57 GMT

Capsaicin, which makes peppers hot, can cause prostate cancer cells to kill themselves, US and Japanese researchers say.

Capsaicin led 80% of human prostate cancer cells growing in mice to kill themselves, in a process known as apoptosis, the researchers said on Wednesday.

Prostate cancer tumours in mice fed capsaicin were about one-fifth the size of tumours in untreated mice, they reported in the journal Cancer Research.

Dr Soren Lehmann, of the Cedars-Sinai Medical Centre and the University of California Los Angeles School of Medicine, said: "Capsaicin had a profound anti-proliferative effect on human prostate cancer cells in culture.

"It also dramatically slowed the development of prostate tumours formed by those human cell lines grown in mouse models."

Spicy food

While it is far easier to cure cancer in mice infected with human tumours than it is in human beings, the findings suggest a possible future treatment. They also may offer a good excuse for men who like spicy food to eat more of it.

Lehmann estimated that the mice ate the human equivalent of 400mg of capsaicin three times a week. That is about the amount found in three to eight fresh habanero peppers, depending on how hot the peppers are.

The capsaicin inhibited the activity of NF-kappa beta, a molecular mechanism that helps lead to apoptosis in many cell types.

Prostate cancer is the most common malignant cancer in US men. It is diagnosed in 232,000 men every year and kills up to 30,000 of them.

Worldwide, 221,000 men die every year from prostate cancer.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/F62...71C4696863C.htm

Now, 9 to 24 habaneros per week would be insane for anyone not used to the heat- lol, but you know how clinical researchers love to megadose rats. It could very well still be beneficial at much lower doses.

The other option might be some pepper spray up your butt :unsure::o:unsure:

probably the trend is to consume this amount of peppers with beef or pork, or something tho .. and i think then you'd be looking at inflammatory conditions ???

The other option might be some pepper spray up your butt :unsure::o:unsure:

OK, maby I was wrong... this just might be BDSM

Kinky Pepper :bootyshake:

Oh yeah... "Prostate cancer tumours in mice fed capsaicin were about one-fifth the size of tumours in untreated mice" I dont think enemas with chemical irritants counts as 'feeding' :wink: the in vivo work was apparently dietary.

probably the trend is to consume this amount of peppers with beef or pork, or something tho .. and i think then you'd be looking at inflammatory conditions ???

lol, I do use large quantities with pork to try and mask that greasy swine meat quality. Very dilute capsaicin (300 to 400 SHU if I remember right) has been shown to prevent ulcers, not sure of what smearing pizza with habanero paste (300,000 SHU) does to my stomach tho :unsure:

Edited by Auxin

I dont think enemas with chemical irritants counts as 'feeding' :wink: the in vivo work was apparently dietary.

Feeding the cells does not usually mean feeding by mouth of the organism. It actually usually means somehow getting the capsaicin into the tissue that surrounds the cancer cells and hence into the cancer cells themselves. So if we are talking about the prostate, then applying it directly as a spray/salve/enema whatever, might be much more effective than eating chillies.

Just a (very uncomfortable) thought.

Just a (very uncomfortable) thought.

why ? :P

don't be so prud ! try. :wink:

i tested accidentaly and there was a nice side...

Edited by VINS