The Corroboree
limpet

M.Hostilis customs question

I was reading the thread on mimosa at:

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...=8335&hl=mimosa

where it is said that because m.hostilis containins an S9 substance it is illegal.

If, say, customs quarantines my bag of M.Hostilis incense as it needs to have a Gamma Irradiation Treatment before it is considered safe plant material to bring into the country, could you safely assume that once you paid for the gamma treatment that they wouldn't confiscate it again on the basis that it contains an S9 substance?

What would the people here recommend in such a hypothetical situation? Get it irradiated or let it go in the bin?

Would there be detrimental effects by the gamma radiation to the smell of the incense?

There was one post I could find on gamma radiation on this forum but it wasn't really conclusive.

Generally ionizing radiation busts up carbon links, the reactive ends react with free water (even if dehydrated, we’re talking molecular level)

-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH=CH- ect…

<<<<ZAP>>>> (ionizing radiation)

-CH2-CH2: :CH2-CH=CH-

(then H2O rocks up)

-CH2-CH2OH CH3-CH=CH-

OR

-CH2-CH=O CH3OH-CH=CH-

I don’t know how that will affect what your interested in, but I hope it helps.

Respect

Edited by darkstar

I've got no experience with these guys, but treatment would be a matter of quarantine NOT customs. Customs will be the ones to dick you for s9 substance.

Importing these sorts of goods has been talked about many times, do not do it, you'll land yourself into a world of shit. UTSE

As gerbil said, customs and quarantine are completely separate agencies. Imported items first pass though quarantine THEN through customs. This means you could pay for the treatment and then get busted. In fact, getting busted for items that required you to make quarantine arrangements is particularly bad as various signatures and payments confirm your intention to import without customs even needing to obtain information from the supplier or credit card company.

Sorry, I worded it badly above but you answered the main question anyway :) I wanted to know if packages went through customs then quarantine or quarantine then customs.

[moderator note: the following post is full of misconceptions and inaccurate information. please read the discussion further on to avoid legal consequences]

mimosa hostillis root bark(im asuming this is what you are refering to)is not a controlled substance in australia,it can be imported as long as it is thoroughly dried,contains no foreign matter, is not capable of propagation and all packages are labelled with full botanical names.there are no permits etc. needed and it doesnt require quarantine entry if the above is followed.dried root bark also doesnt require gamma-irradiation if these rules are followed.I have obtained this information from customs myself and if anyone would like to see the full e-mail of requirements let me know.

I also know of a vendor that often ships to australia whos product meets customs requirements,if any ones interested, pm me.

If your material doesnt meet requirements gamma-irradiation costs $45.50 per consinement and takes 4 weeks,thats it,and iv been advised that treatment would not effect the scent.

it was stated earlier in this thread that it would pass through quarantine, then customs, but this isnt the case.

customs first screens all packages,and then if a quarantine risk is found it is sent to quarantine,if not they dont even see it, theres no quarantine entry needed with this product.

also can any 1 tell me the purpose of gamma-irradiation? just curious as medical steralisation is done by gamma-radiation,not irradiation, and this seemingly doesnt make sense as i thought it was for sterilisation of the plant matter.

mimosa hostillis root bark(im asuming this is what you are refering to)is not a controlled substance in australia,it can be imported as long as it is thoroughly dried,contains no foreign matter, is not capable of propagation and all packages are labelled with full botanical names.there are no permits etc. needed and it doesnt require quarantine entry if the above is followed.dried root bark also doesnt require gamma-irradiation if these rules are followed.I have obtained this information from customs myself and if anyone would like to see the full e-mail of requirements let me know.

I also know of a vendor that often ships to australia whos product meets customs requirements,if any ones interested, pm me.

If your material doesnt meet requirements gamma-irradiation costs $45.50 per consinement and takes 4 weeks,thats it,and iv been advised that treatment would not effect the scent.

it was stated earlier in this thread that it would pass through quarantine, then customs, but this isnt the case.

customs first screens all packages,and then if a quarantine risk is found it is sent to quarantine,if not they dont even see it, theres no quarantine entry needed with this product.

also can any 1 tell me the purpose of gamma-irradiation? just curious as medical steralisation is done by gamma-radiation,not irradiation, and this seemingly doesnt make sense as i thought it was for sterilisation of the plant matter.

This is right as far as I know, in most countries, but I've never been to Australia, nor exported to it. Most vendors label their packages by class of thing, and not specifically. It would be against client-privacy to label the package "Mimosa hostillis rootbark." Most vendors are professionals that know enough to label it "herbs" or "spices" or " *** " . Ask your associates how they package the item, and label it.

PM me if you want any more advice about importation logistics ;) Right now China, for example, is pretty much off limits for importing from . . . damn olympics !

*edited here bc of short term memory loss by meme*

BTW, "irradiation" is artifically generated radiation, so there isn't a difference as far as we are concerned here.

Edited by meme

STOP SPREADING BULLSHIT!!!!

You are playing with people's lives and freedom here so make sure you at least get the basics right. Someone who can't even tell the different between customs and quarantine should not be trusted for legal advice!

I would be very interested in this email as I am certain that it is from quarantine, not customs. But even if it is from customs, that doesn't mean you can't get charged with drug offences as state authorities can also charge you with the same offence.

Customs has no requirements for this product. Quarantine has requirements. Meeting these makes no difference to the customs legality.

Incorrect again. You really don't know anything about this process, so why give advice? In almost all cases quarantine inspects first. Ask any clearance agent. Then customs enters into the picture. Customs does NOT send items back to quarantine usually as they are not trained for quarantine matters, however quarantine sometimes passes items to customs if they think there is a legality issue.

If you are importing by post then the customs and quarantine clearance is done in the auspost clearance facility as a combined process. However, if an inspection of the quarantine item is required then the item is taken to the quarantine station [off site].

Let me just state again that ANY material that contains a substance that is scheduled in either the customs act, the crimincal code act or the state drugs acts is deemed to be that illegal substance and hence treated the same way under the law. This includes anything that contains DMT, harmaline, salvinorinA and hundreds of other compounds and their analogs.

oh, and the quarantine fee for irradiation of non commercial items is $42.50, not $45.50

This is right as far as I know, in most countries, but I've never been to Australia, nor exported to it.

Australian drug law is quite different to US drug law, and australian customs and quarantine law is quite unique.

Most vendors label their packages by class of thing, and not specifically. It would be against client-privacy to label the package "Mimosa hostillis rootbark." Most vendors are professionals that know enough to label it "herbs" or "spices" or " *** " .

To pass australian quarantine the item MUST be labelled with full botanical name. Quarantine assessment is done on the basis of species, region of production, and production methods. Botanical material without botanical name can't be imported legally.

Every country's customs has the right to know EXACTLY what is contained in a shipment entering the country. HOw strictly this is enforced depends on the country. Some countries enforce it very strictly for tax purposes, others do it for quarantine purposes. To state that the requirement for exact labelling contravenes privacy laws is fanciful. In australia the customs label must have DETAILED description of item, but in general even a vague description is fine. What they do insist on is that every package within the parcel is properly labelled. ie, it is the container IMMEDIATELY holding the goods which must be labelled properly. For example, I once imported 2 species of seed. Both were quarantine permitted. The names were only written on the customs dec, but not on the baggies holding the seed. The parcel was seized and destroyed as it was not possible for the inspector to properly identify each species.

PM me if you want any more advice about importation logistics ;)

While I am sure you have a wealth of knowledge on this topic in regards to USA and some other countries, it is clear from your previous statement that maybe you are not the best person to ask about australian import matters :wink:

Right now China, for example, is pretty much off limits for importing from . . . damn olympics !

How silly is this. Even 1g samples of herbal extracts are not permitted.

This is right as far as I know, in most countries, but I've never been to Australia, nor exported to it.

Australian drug law is quite different to US drug law, and australian customs and quarantine law is quite unique.

I wasn't implying that the laws were the same, and I do know that they are different. But I am uncomforable with the importation of mhrb being synonymous with "drug law." The issue here is customs law regarding personal property. If we de facto consider mhrb to be DMT then how could you ever import it? I am not going to advocate smuggling, as this is clearly illegal.

PM me if you want any more advice about importation logistics ;)

While I am sure you have a wealth of knowledge on this topic in regards to USA and some other countries, it is clear from your previous statement that maybe you are not the best person to ask about australian import matters :wink:

This is agreed ;) But there is a bit of vague advice I can always give.

Most vendors label their packages by class of thing, and not specifically. It would be against client-privacy to label the package "Mimosa hostillis rootbark." Most vendors are professionals that know enough to label it "herbs" or "spices" or " *** " .

To pass australian quarantine the item MUST be labelled with full botanical name. Quarantine assessment is done on the basis of species, region of production, and production methods. Botanical material without botanical name can't be imported legally.

Every country's customs has the right to know EXACTLY what is contained in a shipment entering the country. HOw strictly this is enforced depends on the country. Some countries enforce it very strictly for tax purposes, others do it for quarantine purposes. To state that the requirement for exact labelling contravenes privacy laws is fanciful. In australia the customs label must have DETAILED description of item, but in general even a vague description is fine. What they do insist on is that every package within the parcel is properly labelled. ie, it is the container IMMEDIATELY holding the goods which must be labelled properly. For example, I once imported 2 species of seed. Both were quarantine permitted. The names were only written on the customs dec, but not on the baggies holding the seed. The parcel was seized and destroyed as it was not possible for the inspector to properly identify each species.

I'm reading more on this, and I can't think of anyway to label it that is ethical and legal. Wasn't mimosa hostillis used as a pigment for making lipstick once? I've looked for reference to this, but I've been unsucessful. If it is true it is a much better reason to import it than as a drug.

I had a whole rant here about how bad US Customs is (i.e. how little they do), but, I realized after a minute that this was actually a small breach of national security. I'm kinda taken aback.

I can't imagine that Aulstralia can afford to do this. I know you do afford it, but don't you all have greedy capitalist interest groups? Looking into this, it seems these laws are pretty old. This must absolutely STIFLE your economy! While I can't recomend that you take a US like system, it seems like there might be a medium.

Edited by meme

TEPEZCOHUITE is the other name for Mimosa Hos and teni and its used very widely as a cosmetic and is even sold as tree bark powder in small bottles to mix with your fav moisturizers.

look it up its quite a big thing down mexico way.

Hunab.