The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
indigo264nm

Wanted: Salvia apiana

Hey people,

I'm trying to hunt down some White Sage. I don't care if it's seeds, or an already established plant. The point is I really want to have this plant in my garden as I believe it would be a very powerful and valuable plant to have around.

If anybody wants to help me out, I can offer you my eternal love and gratitude (and of course seeds, plants or money in trade :P).

Cheers,

Chris.

Edited by -=neurotichaosis=-

I'd love one too... :)

sab's got it too

easy to grow

not so easy to propaagte

so get a plant not seed

then the plant will give u free seed anyway...

What kind of growing conditions does this plant enjoy?

I have had mine for a couple of months now and it has been dying a slow death in the form of dropping leaves slowly and steadily.

I think the leaves are burning after getting wet ( we've had alot of rain) then being in full and intense sunlight. It's quite hard mimicing desert conditions in a humid and unpredicatble climate.

Any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thanks

it doesn't seem to mind regular waterings, but can't tolerate high humidity and especially foliar moisture. Keep it under a verandah where it gets full sun, but no rain.

I know I can easily buy it, but I have decided lately to start trading for plants if possible, purely because often doing so requires me to expand my propagation practices.

Also when I decide to buy things online, I like to make a decent order (which I can't afford at the moment) and don't see the point in making single small orders regularly.

If you are in a summer humid climate thats not overly wet it will be fine

compare me at 1000mm average to T's place in mullum which is significantly higher and always more humid even in a drought

drainage must be perfect and airflow good

and the bloody thing will grow to a monster

i dont think they like winter rain but they laugh at subzero temps

is yours in a pot? i put mine in the ground . i think they like that better as i bough the compact but healthy tubestock plants from SAB put them in the ground and stood back!

the ones in pots werent as vigorous

thats was before i moved though and they died in the transplant :(

seems transplanting and propagation is more difficult. typical with desert planst tho , they really get attached to where they are and wont let go

again, when i get my raised beds sorted ill go again, but as my lago disaster proved, not before.

these planst have a great look and feel to have about. highly recommended

Edited by Rev

yeah, we get 1650mm average. That might be fine too, but a wet year certainly isn't.

Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll keep it on the verandah - it'll be protected from rain here but will probably only get a couple of hours of sun each day.

Fingers crossed it'll be okay:/