The Corroboree
inpsyght

Entheogen DVD's

I would love a copy. If someone would be so nice to burn me the set I'll pay for the dvd's and postage, burn a copy for the next guy and make a donation to the film makers.

Cheers

Mark

Although, I know it's not the same but music piracy isn't such a bad thing, it allows you to listen to alot more music you wouldn't of otherwise heard because of having to commit to a purchase without having access to what your buying. It allows popularity to be based on actual substance as opposed to manufactured popularity, which promotes innovation, allowing anyone with a good idea to be heard.... i could go on for a while

This is a romantic view not born out in fact. I realise that music piracy is here to stay and attempts to control it are futile and present the death throws of a dying monopoly industry that has at no time served the customer, but always only it's own interests. So yeah, as someone who worked for many years in the recording industry as a musician, producer and activist I am happy to see Warner, Sony etc take a dive in sales and I have no qualms about downloading their releases. It's when people steal from small labels which were the only ones who kept the music evolving, that's when I think we are hurting ourselves. Fact is that most small labels have disappeared. The drop in sales has affected the less well distributed recordings much more than the multinational distributions. So in fact piracy is hurting the little guys exponentially more than the big guys. The result is that YOU are increasing the power of the monopoly. It may not be a sales monompoly, but instead it is a creative monopoly. The very monster I have been fighting for as long as I can remember. That's the cold hard fact of piracy.

If your argument was correct then sales would increase rather than massively decrease. Right?

As I said, I am glad we are looking at having to come up with new distribution systems. The old ones sucked. So dowloads are here to stay for now and I accept that. But a single music track represents a much lower scale of input than a doco. The man hours and equipment costs of a doco eclipse those of a single track multifold, even if the retail prices of them aren't that far apart. For independent doco makers their first film is often a multi year project that costs tens of thousands of dollars and many sleepless nights to complete. And lets face it, most of us simply don't buy the doco after we have seen it once. We might say so, but we don't. The 'try before you buy' argument is really only to ease our guilt.

The problem comes from not having the ability to exchange with the person involved in creating the content. When you cut out the middlemen you can lower the cost of the product which inturn means more sales for the seller and more money leftover for the consumer to buy more with.

Yes. I think sellers have to face the fact that if their price is too high then people will uniformly opt for download. Like I said, $30 or so is the upper limit for a doco before poeple scratch their heads and opt for download.

I think it will take some time for film makers and distributors to come to terms with this and find a solution. I do feel that in most cases the artist will still miss out to some degree, but probably not as bad as at the moment.

Piracy is the means to a resolution which benefits everyone besides the people fighting it, who are also the ones stifling innovation by trying to control it's direction which only benefits itself e.g. major record labels.

As I said, the major labels have ben sticking it to the public for decades, so I have no problem if the reverse happens. But in the process we are also hurting the little guys who did their thing out of passion and for US. Now we are equally sticking it to them.

edit: perhaps the e-mail of the creator or their website could be edited into the video by anyone who knows how, so it could be properly purchased or a donation could be made?

Experience with voluntary donations for things like software, docos, ebooks etc is a dismal failure. Many such projects don't bother even showing a paypal address anymore because no one ever donates. Again, it's how we justify the theft to ourselves at the time and how we negate our guilt. However, a day later we forget all about it.

btw, I don't mind owning the full set if I ever do. As I said, I have already paid for the ones that I know of and will happily pay for other ones in the future if they ever become available.

I am happy to set up a donations fund for a set of copyrights we agree on for this collection. Obviously Piers, Ben and Dean would have to be beneficiaries, but maybe some folks here are aware of others in that collection. It would be a good way to test the hypothesis of how many people will ACTUALLY pay rather than using 'I'll donate later' as an excuse.

Just to give you an idea. How many people on this forum would have seen 'Jungle Trip'? Probably well over 100.

How many people liked it? Probably more than half.

How many people have bought a copy of it? You say 50? really?

How many people have donated to Piers?

I might set up a poll.

If your argument was correct then sales would increase rather than massively decrease. Right?

Well it depends on what the statistics are based on, RIAA and i assume ARIA measure their record sales only counting the top 100, and yes they are losing marketshare. But there are more cd's being released by non-RIAA members than ever before Linky they are 2002 numbers though.

I'm just saying there are alot more factors nowadays, and distribution models are transitioning without a known outcome, The benefits need to outweigh the negative aspects but that balance is still yet to be found...Necessity is the mother of innovation

The entire collection of the entheogen review (49 issues) is available on cd or dvd from there website for $40us or $45 foreign. That's 49 issues of material and I highly recommend it. From being a subscriber for a few years I can say that this magazine has not been easy to keep going and theres been a few times in the last few years that I thought they were going to stop. In other words they need all the money they can get to survive. The mindstates dvd's are also available I believe.

That aside I would like a copy (don't have a dvd burner yet though), and would be willing to pay a donation to help those that made all the docs. I live in the US however, and it may be easier for people like me who don't live in Oz if these were downloadable and an online donation could be provided as well as through the mail. BTW, I believe I also have a few doc's at home that I could add to the list.

-liftyourskinnyfists

I want those discs!!i will gladly send discs,postage or whatever.I'm in the usa.I will happily burn copies and send them on.