The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

Trichocereus 'Cajamarca'

Trichocereus 'Cajamarca'

Any thoughts on whether this cactus is actually a T. pachanoi? It'd have to be something else wouldn't it? It is a very cool looking cactus though. Anyone growing it?

d_47.jpg

Hmm, well thats a pretty small pic to see anything on, but it almost looks similar to T. thelogonus.

Spachanoid, not pachanoid. Too many ribs, spination is wrong for a pach...

I'd have to look on a map to see where Cajamarca is located.

Sorry this is totally off topic, but anyone else notice they sell virola powder? Surely this is illegal is many countries even if it is 'Sold as incense by law.' They also state "Shipping restrictions: no restrictions, we can ship it worldwide." However, they give the small disclaimer "We cannot check the legal status of a product in every single country. It is your responsibility to check the legal status of this product. :rolleyes:

I'd have to say I agree Darcy, surely it's not a pach.

I noticed they differentiate between it and T pachanoi, but call it San Pedro, a name widely used for several cacti with entheogenic virtues. I seem to recall reading about both T. bridgesii and some large terscheckioids being called San Pedro.

Saint Peter is heavens doorman eh?

I like it but i never heard abot this one. I´d love to see an open flower. I don´t think this has to be Trichocereus.

Sorry this is totally off topic, but anyone else notice they sell virola powder? Surely this is illegal is many countries even if it is 'Sold as incense by law.' They also state "Shipping restrictions: no restrictions, we can ship it worldwide." However, they give the small disclaimer "We cannot check the legal status of a product in every single country. It is your responsibility to check the legal status of this product. :rolleyes:

my friend of a friend bought Virola resin from these guys before and it wasn't till after he made the order he thought of the complications that might be associated with it. Although it came through without a problem what so ever. That reminds me he really should get around to trying it. Instead of hijacking this thread further I better go and start another thread.

The name Cajamarca is all over the place in the Andes. I'd be curious if the seller simply got the seed and plant material with the name attached to it and stuck one of the more promenent Cajamarcas to it, that of northern Peru, not knowing of other Cajamarcas.

The flowers are unlike the Trichocereus of north Peru, and are much more like those of Chile and Argentina. The flowers are more in line with T. pasacana (E. atacamensis) and T. terschekii. I'm pretty sure, without confirming with my maps right now, there is more than one Cajamarca, either as a town, city, department, province, etc., in Chile or Argentina.

If the photo at the web site listed is of a plant in a greenhouse outside of its natural territory the likelyhood of it growing to form are slim. I might think it a thin T. atacamensis, and that it is thinner than the descriptions due to greenhouse growth outside of its territory. There are also a number of variations of the species that might also account for differences in the look of it from others of the species.

As for me, I'm going to rule it out as a northern Peru species, or one particularly close to T. pachanoi.

Just my thoughts, take em or leave em.

~Michael~