The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

ID of garden plant?

post-12-1134563627_thumb.jpg post-12-1134563667_thumb.jpgpost-12-1134563699_thumb.jpg

This showed up in our garden this year. The seeds when they ripen are hard, round and brown about 8-10mm in diameter.

The plant kinda looks familiar: I thought it might be a lobelia at one stage but a Google ruled it out.

If it's a useful weed I'll let it seed, but I'd be interested to know before the seeds drop in case it's a fugly

Any clues?

post-12-1134563627_thumb.jpg

post-12-1134563667_thumb.jpg

post-12-1134563699_thumb.jpg

post-12-1134563627_thumb.jpg

post-12-1134563667_thumb.jpg

post-12-1134563699_thumb.jpg

Green mullein i think

Verbascum virgatus

http://members.iinet.net.au/~weeds/western...ulariaceae2.htm

Verbascum (mulleins) are erect, hairy biennials first producing a basal rosette of leaves, followed by a flowering spike. The flowers are yellow and are produced in spring and summer. V. thapsus (Aaron's rod, great mullein) is a robust, grey-hairy plant. The stem leaves taper at the base, running down the stem to form a wing. The flowering stem is densely woolly and can be up to 2m tall. Found in disturbed areas around old settlements in the lower south-west. A more widespread species is V. virgatum(green mullein, twiggy mullein).This plant has dark green, glandular-hairy leaves, the upper ones generally stem-clasping. The stem can be up to 2m tall and the flowers have purple hairs on the stamens. Found in disturbed areas on roadsides and firebreaks, also occasionally on granite rocks throughout the south-west, common around Busselton. V. creticum is a garden escape, found occasionally around old settlements. The basal leaves have long stalks carrying a few small leaflets and one large one at the end. The stem leaves are ovate and toothed. The stem with its spike of flowers may be 1m tall, but is less robust than other species. All native to Europe.

more on mulleins....

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/dpi/nreninf.nsf/...A256DEA00293F8A

i presume u can smoke it? like the woolly kind

pull it tho - its persistent

if you ever need mullein i know where theres loads of it wild