The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
darkstar

Terrorism related busts

16 arrested in raids conducted by more than 400 police in Sydney and Melbourne.

(9 arrested just in Melbourne; 7 in Sydney).

Man shot in neck during raid at Green Valley in Sydney's south-west after first firing on police.

The police chiefs of New South Wales and Victoria say the raids foiled a terrorist plot.

The Muslim community has reacted with surprise at the raids.

The media (a cameraman) where assaulted by four supporters of the men.

The court has been told the group was committed to the notion of jihad, and had been recorded discussing bomb-making and martyrdom.

"In terms of counter-terrorist, it's easily the biggest operation that's ever taken place in this country," Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon said.

Now is not a good time to be a Muslim & be interested in fireworks

This is fucking disgusting.

Do you have an article link to this info, darkstar, I need to forward this to some friends.

i hope that camera man was from channel ten.

on a more serious note, to play the devils advocate, what if the raids did in fact stop a bomb going off.

its probably too early to say whether or not these arrests were called for yet

i wonder if howards announcement forced them to speed up their action. announcing to australia that there are terrorists, somewhere, they are being investigated and may be arrested soon is helping terrorists and not the security forces.

i wonder if howards announcement forced them to speed up their action. announcing to australia that there are terrorists, somewhere, they are being investigated and may be arrested soon is helping terrorists and not the security forces.

Exactly what I was thinking :rolleyes: Probably forced the polices hand too

I think Australia loses much MUCH more in this process of percieved insulation from terrorism

than any ACTUAL terror attck could ever do

I happen to feel that a few terrorist incidnets that slip through are a worthy price to pay for real freedom

i do not wish to sacrifice ANY civil ilberties for a false sense of security

we already know how to insulate australia from terror

but the governmnet will never do it

pull troops from the middle east immediately

distance ourselves politically from the USA and ally with countries urging dialogue and peaceful negotiatons

a legal crack down on shock jock antics who incite hatred in our community

Edited by Rev

I agree Rev, I just finished listening to Orwell's '1984' on tape for the first time(no haven't read it before) and then this shit comes up today!

It may be just coincidence yeah but I believe there are none, and this is the first step in absolute control especially the way this is being painted.

I mean who knows what happened or what circumstances the information was gathered and for how long.They say these people have been monitored for years but what you hear aint always the truth especially where the media is concerned.

Either way another wedge has been driven into humanity and feel sorry for those with kids in this time.

The most significant aspect of this terror plot is that it was moderate muslims who provided the information that started the police investigation.

By all means, toughen the laws so that people buying 100kilos of ammonium nitrate can be hauled in for questioning, but what the fuck has that got to do with the sedition laws Howard is trying to slide in, or the Guantanamo Bay style arrest and interrogation procedures that go against everything a free society stands for. I believe it is possible to toughen terror laws without infringing on our personal freedoms to any significant degree. For example, I can't see a problem with the little amendment Johnny brought in last week. Those are the sorts of laws we need, not laws that can be used against civil unrest, protestors, or people who generally don't like the government.

Sensible strategic laws will not get the moderate muslim community offside and as the events of the last day show us, our best defense is to not provide the extremists with a broad support base. WE need the moderate muslims as our friends.

But let's not forget that up to a few weeks after 9/11 we were not a terrorist target. Australia made itself a terrorist target because of it's foreign policy. Even if we were to extricate ourselves from that foreign policy now, we will still feel the repercussions for many years. Howard stole our innocence.

I agree howard stole our innocence

but i still think it hasnt gone so far that we couldnt duck out the back if it was done soon

Australia talks up our importance far beyond what we really are

we remain first and foremost american lackies, our assistance is symbolic, as votes, as giving legitimacy to the US

any public denouncemnet of the WOT or indication to withdraw from the ME would certainly diffuse many growing tensions. I dont think Australians are really THAT involved yet on a personal level

i know few aussies who have anything nice to say about Bush or the US behaviour in general

i know plenty who are anxious and sucked in by the terror mongering tho

we actually have to go out of our way to make a big deal when a few aussies become collateral damage in somebody else war - and we try and make them heroes and make it our fight

we are at the arse end of the world and when we arent going out of our way to be involved as we are now

we easily fall into the same margins category as the rest of the southern hemisphere

all the real players are in the north, north america and those encircling the largest remaining oil reserves

shit is going down. we should step back not stick our heads up

Not to claim some grand conspiracy, but I did watch with interest last night every news headlines update beginning with words to the effect of 'New terror laws have saved Australia from a catastrophic attack'...almost felt like I/the public was being programmed into acceptance.

sadly its no great conspiracy

its the status quo of the way media funtions in Australia

these guys may or may not have been planning somthing but basically they are arrested cos they belong to a banned group, thats the truth, the rest is speculation

but as they say

dont let the truth get in the way of a good yarn...

Quote: "16 arrested in raids conducted by more than 400 police in Sydney and Melbourne.

(9 arrested just in Melbourne; 7 in Sydney).

Man shot in neck during raid at Green Valley in Sydney's south-west after first firing on police.

The police chiefs of New South Wales and Victoria say the raids foiled a terrorist plot.

The Muslim community has reacted with surprise at the raids.

The media (a cameraman) where assaulted by four supporters of the men.

The court has been told the group was committed to the notion of jihad, and had been recorded discussing bomb-making and martyrdom. "

And that is the happy version of this event. The sad version does not bear thinking about.

:crux: When I heard the news, the first thing I thought of was the people overboard affair and the lies that came form the howard goverment. Funny how just when howard wants to get all his new laws in including the anti terror stuff, suddenly there is a threat that has to be taken care off. What great timing for him.

It's also a convenient way to divert attention from the Industrial Relations overhaul that's in progress. Why have talk-radio filled with silly little debates like employee rights when a more colourful fear-mongering campaign can be launched for the rednecks to sink their emotions into.

ya ya.

have faith in me when i say that the amount of acetone peroxide they had was nowhere near enough to make "15 large bombs." maybe this (the fact that these people are small time) could be the main reason that howard didn't go after them any other time in the last 12 months? fucking media-controlling media pony he is... :ana:

Terror raids – serious questions for the Howard Government

6th Nov 05

On Wednesday 2 November, Prime Minister Howard announced the recall of the Senate to change the word ‘the’ to ‘a’ in one section of the Criminal Code. This was to help arrest alleged terrorists. The Greens voted for the changes in the Senate but questioned then both the need for, and process used, to introduce this amendment.

A week later these questions arise:

1) Why did Mr Howard not act to make this change the law – and there is dispute as to whether it will affect any court proceedings – earlier, with no media furore? The alleged terrorist cells have been under surveillance since June 2004. Since then the Criminal Code has had 10 amending acts. Police requests to Mr Howard’s government to make the word change were made 18 months ago. The dilatory Prime Ministerial action appears to have tipped off those subsequently arrested. The Age reports that they were “telling each other to be ready for imminent raids” and police were “livid that they had lost the element of surprise”. “We don’t usually flag secret raids by press release” one [of the police assigned to conduct the raids] told The Age (9.11.05).

2) Which “government sources” informed the media, with accurate specifics about the suspects, before the raids and so tipping off the suspects and allowing for the destruction of evidence? Senator Brown has written to the Inspector General of Intelligence (8.11.05) asking for an inquiry. The tip-offs endangered the police operations.

3) Why were ‘minority party’ leaders refused an ASIO briefing on the ‘specific’ threat Mr Howard announced last week? In view of the leaks to the media from the government, what is the justification for politicizing the briefings limiting them to the Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Minister for Homeland Security? Surely when the nation’s security is threatened such political selectivity is counter-productive.

4) Why the need for the draconian new anti-terror laws, eroding the rights of all Australians? This week’s operations underline the extensive powers already given to intelligence and police authorities to track down, interrogate, change and jail people plotting violence. The 3-day Senate Inquiry into these laws will be held in Sydney next week.

http://www.bobbrown.org.au/500_parliament_...p?deptItemID=49

Judging by what the media has claimed, this group of ppl do sound guilty as hell...Why did one of them run then turn and shoot at police officers? Guilty. They had a large stockpile of chemicals, and 3 of these men where found around the premises of a nuclear power plant and they had broken a lock. Just because they are muslim is a coincidence. Maybe they arent terrorists and our gonvernment has made a huge mistake, and this may spawn others to take the the path. It's better to be safe then sorry...IMO

I think that we should pull our troops out of Iraq even though they are only there to protect others and not out to kill terrorists. Our gonvernment has made alot of mistakes and its only time before the citizens pay...

All the info the police have released is unsubstatiated

they do not release speculation when there are murder investigations or other serious crimes

They may well be guilty but this trial by media ensures these guys will never get an impartial jury

the kinds of chems these guys were collecting they could just as well have been meth cooks?!?

point is that this is all being manipulated to meet howards ends

Yeah thats why i said "judging by what the media has said" you cant trust anything that those bias pricks say...but going by how these guys and their friends have acted doesnt help the situation at hand...I just hope this was all for the best...

The ONLY positive outcome of this would be if the backbenchers and so caled opposition would get together to demand that the effeciveness of the existing legislation proved their sufficiency and teh new terror laws get scarpped

Not on the issue of this bust but the new anti-terror laws:

“They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

What frustrates me about some of the reporting they have done about the 'incriminating' evidence of chemicals for the manufacture of explosives is that they can be found quite easily in nearly every home.

I realise that some of the accused are meant to have been placing orders for large quantities of H2O2, Acids and acetone... but one of the accused cases is really weak.

IIRC, the paper said that police found at his home hydrocloric Acid, a chemical that can be used to make TATP (no mention whether the other chemicals required were found or not), as well as PVC pipe and end caps that can be used for casing for bombs... then later in the article it just quickly glanced over the fact the the man arrested was a Handy man, which very easily explains his possession of HCl and pvc pipe..... so a warning for all you tradesmen out there... if you are involved in pool cleaning, or use solvents such as acetone or metho, and your work involves PVC piping.... you could be a terrorist.

-bumpy

warning to all school kids aswell; terrorists always use backpacks. and don't carry brown paper bags either. oh, and if you're a muslim, don't forget to put on alot of white make-up!

:crux:

...and if you're a muslim, don't forget to put on alot of white make-up!

...unless youre tryin to get off drug charges in indonesia :wink: