The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mescalito

EBA forum

Maybe not but eccles has all that money anyway.

What exactly is the money nescessary for? I'm happy to host the site, and domains are cheap cheap cheap.

yeah, what is the deal with that? I donated a painting, auctioned for half it's worth, sent the $, and this wasn't even acknowledged till I asked whether it was received. It was alot of $ for me, I'm a full time student and sole parent on the pension. I understand he's busy, but why can't someone else take over...there seems to be a few who are more than willing.

I must admit I'm dispointed that the funds raised don't seem to have contributed to the probs at EB being resolved.

Edited by wandjina

I must admit I'm dispointed that the funds raised don't seem to have contributed to the probs at EB being resolved.

I agree

a lot of people were very generous with that... hopefully that money can be recovered and put towards setting up a new EBA.

So, does anyone other than eccles have access to a recent copy of the database? That's really what's stopping everyone from moving on, right?

I'd really like to see EA functional again, so if anyone can get hold of the database, then I'll happily donate the cost for the domain registration for a few years (.com/.org/.net only).

If the place is so compromised, then why doesn't someone with enough knowledge hack it and grab the database. The fact that the community has paid for the site by donations and then was let down justifies some constructive vigilantism in my opinion.

If the place is so compromised, then why doesn't someone with enough knowledge hack it and grab the database. The fact that the community has paid for the site by donations and then was let down justifies some constructive vigilantism in my opinion.

Very bloody good point Torsten!

I'm looking in the direction of Apo here. I reckon he could do it. :wink:

I'm looking in the direction of Apo here. I reckon he could do it. :wink:

He probably will be, or something similar...

things are moving folks, discussions are being had and plans are being made, it's just a little slow.

as far as costs are involved, I believe hosting has been offered already, and I have pledged to pay for domain registration. So I don't see that there are any further costs, but if there are, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

note: I am aware that EA needs to be independent from SAB, which is why I am offering to pay the costs rather than actually providing the domain. someone else will still have to register it. www.godaddy.com is really cheap and reliable.

:worship: thanks for doing this for the community guys, sounds like everything is sorted.

However, the more i think about this, the more I ask myself questions like: where did the money raised actually go?

I was under the impression that funds were needed to finance the running of the site (http://www.ethnobotany-australia.net/community/viewtopic.php?p=30553&highlight=#30553), and would also contribute to some improvements, but from what I've read above it would appear that running costs are relatively low, and there have been no improvements that i am aware of.

Does anyone know what happened to the 500-odd dollars that were raised? Is it being kept aside for when the admin is able to work on the site , or should we consider it gone and move on?

Edited by wandjina

I'm sure a large chunk went to pay off hosting costs. The software eccles uses is free so that's really the only cost I can think of. Hosting and domain.

I'm sure a large chunk went to pay off hosting costs. The software eccles uses is free so that's really the only cost I can think of. Hosting and domain.

cool, that's what i wanted to know :)

crack habit?

you are so naughty benz!

Eccles was keen on using a particular (expensive) host because it allowed him SSH access which was how he liked to edit the database. Or something. So I'm sure some of the money went on hosting - and I don't know how much this cost. However I would be disappointed if the host was SO expensive that all the money raised was spent.

Eccles was keen on using a particular (expensive) host because it allowed him SSH access which was how he liked to edit the database. Or something. So I'm sure some of the money went on hosting - and I don't know how much this cost. However I would be disappointed if the host was SO expensive that all the money raised was spent.

Australian based hosting. http://www.doteasy.com.au/hosting.html

Business Plan: $7 AUD / Month

Corporate Plan: $12.50 AUD / Month

Using SSH is a secure way to access with ftp and edit, upload/download, delete, etc. If the site has ssl (https://), you can connect to the boards admin panel and other scripting database tools.

Most web hosts have a web based file manager - that you connect to with https://

There is also ftps

Yeah I've looked at the hosting behind EBA and it doesn't look much more expensive than that CC, I just don't think eccles had paid the bills in a while and they caught up with him when he didn't have a lot of cash.

He may have even paid the remainder of the fundraising to the hosting company as an advance on the next year or something like that?

I dunno :(

Uh ok guys I just got a hold of eccles mobile number, would someone else like to call him or shall I?

Can't believe I didn't check the whois records earlier. :rolleyes:

Hope he hasn't changed his mobile number since he registered.

At work now so can't call till later tonight. Someone please reply before then! :)

Uh ok guys I just got a hold of eccles mobile number, would someone else like to call him or shall I?

Can't believe I didn't check the whois records earlier. :rolleyes:

Hope he hasn't changed his mobile number since he registered.

At work now so can't call till later tonight. Someone please reply before then! :)

if you wanna call him you can but i can try tomorrow bit busy tonight to try

good one mate

it really is time to fix the site it has gone on long enough

I thought eccles got the hosting for free because he worked there :unsure::unsure:

:o

I don't know about that, where did you read it T, my searches indicate his hosting has always costed him money but maybe I missed a thread.

http://www.ethnobotany-australia.net/commu...opic.php?t=1769

http://www.ethnobotany-australia.net/commu...opic.php?t=2075

http://www.ethnobotany-australia.net/commu...opic.php?t=1768

:o

I don't know about that, where did you read it T, my searches indicate his hosting has always costed him money but maybe I missed a thread.

I think he told me in a Pm that he was hosting with a friend or ex employer, but I must have misunderstood the costs. yes, you are right, it looks like he paid for hosting. It even oooks like he paid too muhch for it just so he oculd have shell access, which he is making very poor use of.

And yes I am getting a somewhat reduced rate, and although it's still costing me quite a bit more than it did at the other place... UNIX SHELL!!! UNIX SHELL!!!! I can now *do* things for the site that would have taken a prohibitively long time before. (and anyway some people have been making donations (your good self included) that have helped out a lot with regard to hosting costs).

is there some way to contact the administrator eccles? After months and months I still can't login or even re-register on the EBA forums.

is there some way to contact the administrator eccles? After months and months I still can't login or even re-register on the EBA forums.

we have tried to get in contact with eccles

we dotb know where he is

sorry

it is a real shame to see EBA the way it is but anyway what can you do

maybe we should donate plants/cacti and have some auctions to raise money? Didn't someone do that a while ago? Did the money get used to fix the site at all? I know HTML but I don't know PhP :(

Edited by SaBReT00tH

if you gp to the site you may notice some changes already.

it seems it maybe back and running in a week or two.

thanks eccles :D

Ah eccles has come back from the dead!

If you try to get to site and can't it may be because your URL has /phpBB2 at the end, remove it.

Hopefully we can now bring EBA back to life :).

Edited by creach

Hopefully we can now bring EBA back to life

shit yeah! I just checked it out...looking pretty sexy, and everything seems to be back to normal :D

Just to encourage a little more traffic:

http://www.ethnobotany-australia.net/community/index.php