The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shroom-Aura

new Psychoactive Panaeolus in Perth?

came across this site not long ago http://www.fungiperth.org.au/fieldbook/Catalogue1.html have a look at picture number 11 the dusky helmuts. Identified as Panaeolus fimicola (also known as P. ater) which is weak when active, but IMO these look more like P. subbalteatus which is more potent and always active. Eitherway these might be worth hunting in WA especially since the sub patches are policed well and probably no longer fruiting.

So where should I be looking?

Pines, cow/sheep/horse paddocks, bushland?

Im down south only 80km west from baily. We have lots of local pines, but I havn't looked there for a while. On my bush block and surrounding paddocks, shroom growth has pretty much stopped altogether except for those non active psilocybes and white gilled, feild shroom imitaters. And absolutly nothing in the paddocks. It's been windy and the RH quite low.

Would a walk through the local pines be in order?

nice pics in that guide - wow check out the split in half Gyroporus!

Im down south only 80km west from baily. We have lots of local pines, but I havn't looked there for a while. On my bush block and surrounding paddocks, shroom growth has pretty much stopped altogether except for those non active psilocybes and white gilled, feild shroom imitaters. And absolutly nothing in the paddocks. It's been windy and the RH quite low.

Would a walk through the local pines be in order?

anyone got any magic mushy spores for sale?

I know this is off the topic but I saw this interesting fungi on the australian fungimap website. Its Ileodictyon gracile - I've never seen one of these before so thought it was kinda cool and worth sharing...

post-1159-1129542101_thumb.jpg

I know this is off the topic but I saw this interesting fungi on the australian fungimap website. Its Ileodictyon gracile - I've never seen one of these before so thought it was kinda cool and worth sharing...

Yeah, I've never seen one in real life either, but my copy of "A field guide to Australian Fungi" by Fuhrer has Illeodictyon cibarium, which is macroscopically similar and says "Widely distributed in forests and in wood mulch on gardesn, but not common" I'd imagine a few people hunting for subs might have come across them before?

I'd imagine a few people hunting for subs might have come across them before?

No unfortunately

I'd love to find one or some of the other amazing clathraceae and similar things

Not pines or bushland. It grows on dung so check cow/horse pastures or horse stables, horse riding trails, etc. Paul Stamets book says "Growing scattered in soil or dung from late spring and in the fall. Sometimes found in well fertelised lawns and/or grassy places in the woods."

nice pics in that guide - wow check out the split in half Gyroporus!

definately, the bluing of those giant G. cyanescens is spectacular.

anyone got any magic mushy spores for sale?

Wrong place to post that this forum is for mushroom related discussion. The seed and plant exchange forum is for buying and trading.

Just uploaded this image to the gallery...

Dunno if anyone have seen it before, but I just love it!! :)

If I remember right, this little on was found in Northern QLD.

You reckon it stains blue too?? :P

post-1230-1129617471_thumb.jpg

If you find late season subs that have survived in the forest for a while they can often oxidise to a point where they are completely blue like this except the cap is still a rusty colour... amazing looking but worthless potency...

yeah ive seen those mushrooms in perth

everyyear theyd come up in my garden under the cotoneaster amongst the kikuyu isn the shade

i never ate any tho

there was no blue staining

i guess is hould have cloned them or taken a print for kicks

Ive seen subbalteatus in dung over here too and often the very base of teh stub has blue staining aborted pins

but iver never bothered with them either

i guess when u have P cyans alongside u get spoilt for choice

Was the garden fertelised? What is cotoneaster and kikuyu some kinds of plants i presume? Would it be possible to give a more specific location (suburb or something) so that the Perth locals would be able to benefit from youre discovery?

Wow you are quite the pan hunter rev! Did you find Panaeolus fimicola, subbalteatus and cyanescens all in Perth?

What is kikuyu? LOL

It's a runner grass, impossible to get rid of and very invasive. I thought every australian would know what kikuyu grass was. The main grass grown as lawn,(bar cooch grass) makes u itchy as shit if you roll on it. variously angled stiff blade like grass, not a nice one.

Cotonester, don't know, but I think thats a ground cover too.

I don't need a location, but a certain time/month to look for these would help. As I say, there's absolutely no fungal growth in any paddocks that I've seen in the last week or two.

Naja

There are many varieties of kikuyu grass in australia some of which are actually great for landscaping due to their tolerence and easy maintanence. Very common grass in coastal areas.

The common Cotoneaster grows as a shrub or small tree. Some varieties are more like a groundcover but generally in australia the common varieties are larger garden shrubs and trees. They have a distinct orange berry that Kurrawongs and other birds like to eat. But if you're about to do some gardening dont go out and buy a boring old exotic cotoneaster - get an australian eleocarpus reticulatus - a nice neat native tree with blue berries the native birds and critters will love.

due to their tolerence and easy maintanence

Exactly, impossible to get rid of and very invasive, depends on which way you look at it.

Great to get a lawn established quickly, but sour relations when your kikuyu starts invading your next door neighbours expensive lawn, maybe they've done some breeding to stop this, but it would also mean it won't colonize your grassed area as quick, allowing other weeds and competitors established. Pro's and Con's.

A weed is any plant growing where u don't want it. If you want it there it is no longer a weed to you.

haha - yeah viewpoints - and how nice or bad your neighbours are. The better Kikuyu species have been bred to death and they're not neccessarily slower but in my experience many super duper bred hybrid plants are unstable and dont always perform as promoted or are more suseptable to other factors such as pests. I guess we could change the expression 'horses for courses' to 'grasses for arses'...

People are quite obsessed with lawns in australia.... must be that yearning for the british commons ;) I'd personally rather a native forest as my yard but right now my garden consists of 4 pot plants and 2 bonsai on a balcony :(

Ok so it was on the spearwood dune soil type runs N/S and is the sandy yet limey soil with a small clay fraction

thats the better of the 3 main soil types on the sandplain

in coolbellup

in the wet times of the year

near my old cmpost hep so rich in woody debris and straw

as well as leaf mould from the cottoneaster and the kikuyu was spares so really only contribute the humidity trap

I had it come up in pots too

i think the spores would be ubiquitous u just need to mak ethe enviromnet

no i never saw pa cy aor pan sub in perth

i see both over here tho

and other strange types

I did see Pan foeniscii on freshly laid turf at murdoch uni

it died out after a season

no idea if active

Kikuyu has 2 great weaknesses - shade and glyphosate

the organic way is using carpet weighted down

leave for a couple months and the soil underneth will be kike free and very fertile

using glyphosate just a whiff will kill it, even concentartuons low enough not to kill other plants

couch on the other hand is a bastard of a thing to kill either by shading or weedkiller

either an or method take more time and a lot more poison

No i know how to control it i love kikuyu. it generates and incredible amount of biomass and improves the soil alot. And it respomnds well to feeding so you can have both carbon and nutes incorporated in great amounst into the soil

after you kill it you can grow veggies in that soil and they thrive but as the organic matter drops the fertility does too and u need to finmd mor eor grow more to dig in

A ley system using kikuyu esp on deep sandy soils could be a great idea.

Edited by Rev