The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Evil Genius

Little Brown Mushrooms

Hi,

the pics show different species. I´d say that pic 3 and 4 are not Ps.Semilanceata.I´m not sure about the last one but i think it´s a liberty cap. The upper two should actually also show the Liberty Caps. I´m from germany.

Mostly i found some Psilocybe Semilanceata (Liberty Caps), 2 or 3 different panaeolus sp and some other Psilocybes and Psathyrellas. I think i also have a different Ps.Semilanceata resembling species. Maybe Ps.Silvatica or something else. I made more pics but i only posted a few. I´m learning to ID via Microscope at the moment so i hope i´ll be able to make this clear someday. They look similar but they are smaller, thicker and they aren´t that coneheaded. But definately Psilocybe and showing a decent bluing. I am going to post some pics here during the next weeks. We have lot´s of them here.

I noticed the non-bluing on one of the collected semilanceata similar species too. Also these mushrooms had a more reddish stem.

Due to my personal experience, the real liberty caps show a very decent blueing reaction. Mostly they don´t blue at all.

I expect that we´ll get lot´s more of them here when it gets colder.

The Spore Colour was purple. The Spore Color of the Panaolus was black.

Hi,

i had some spare time to check out some new places. I found lots of interesting psilocybes, panaeolus,...

I am going to make some sporeprints for educational purposes. Surely I´ll destroy the mushrooms after takin the prints so nobody gets intoxicated :)

normal_HPIM3734aa.jpg

normal_HPIM3726.JPG

normal_HPIM3735aa.jpg

normal_HPIM3719.JPG

normal_HPIM3721.JPG

I found some this weekend too!

it didn't rain friday night so they're alive!

I'm so happy but, its annoying when you discover that you could have harvested three times from the same patch in the last 6 weeks.

Nice pics too.

In october!

its probably my imagination but those shrooms resemble liberty caps. do you live in aus? what state if so

[ 03. October 2005, 06:26: Message edited by: Trich-Aura ]

whatever they are, they're everywhere (or they were) down here, i always looked at them as being suspect but they dont blue so i wasnt game to risk it. anyone say for sure what they are?

Definately look like Semilanceata (Liberty Caps) to us down in Otways VIC, or thats what we call them and trust them to be. No noticeable blueing compared to Subaeruginosa we always thought a little scary too but always provided a quality spore printing experience when subs, gold tops not around. Only ever found them in paddocks containing stock so always assumed they were imported in dung as opposed to native subs. Would appreciate any correction if wiser heads know better. :)

[ 03. October 2005, 11:11: Message edited by: Blue ]

They dont look like an psilocybe species to me Evil Genius, is there some blueing that I cant see in the photo's?

What color was the spore prints?

[ 03. October 2005, 12:02: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

So you found those in Germany? Libs aer pretty common there although those look like a mushroom Ive found those mushrooms as well once In Camberwell and a few times out in the country - never found any blue staining present and the spore print was off colour as well for my mind. The smell also put me off.

DOnt know about those though - if you found them in australia i would be inclinded to doubt they were semis due to my lack of finding them (maybe just jealousy) :)

Blue - interesting about semis in your area - Ive been looking for them for years - heard stories of them being up in the hills - I know of a few people who are adament they have found them - around Mount Buffalo and apparently Beechworth as well.

Yep, didn't believe it myself until a rather reckless/courageous mate stuffed a heap in his mouth and then we all followed suit about an hour later (after he hadn't shown any signs of frothing) and sure enough. Further proof after visiting Germany, and being guided by locals turned up the exact same little buggers. Same friends visited me in OZ last year and I showed them and they were very happy to say the least. That convinced me. And all along I thought that at the best they were just those no good haycutter mushies with virtually no psilo. WooHoo for crazy mates and german friends.

hey Blue if you have access to a camera you should take some in-situ shots. would be great to finally see some australian semilanceata pics.

My pleasure, sounds like a good way for everybody to tell me i'm an idiot eating some plainly obvious psilocybe that is definately not semilanceata. Looks like them though and I'm always up for correction, I'm a big boy now that doesn't let my ego get in the way of a good admonishment. Look forward to posting in about June 2006. Didn't look this year, had my personal fav, subs coming out of my ears, but sure they will still be there. ;)

Blue: I would be extreemly interested in trading you for Smei spore prints if you can ever manage it, Im sure I we could figure out a good trade :P please, please, PM me if your interested!

yeah id be curious and love to have a look at one under the scope for interests-sake. Ill be back in aus shortly (maybe Nov/Dec) so that would be cool.

7 or 8 months away andy but my pleasure. Like the total tool I can be at times I have regarded them with a sneer compared to OZ natives (couldn't get the whole introduced poo mushroom thing outta my head until listening to you guys paying the respect any psilo deserves, THANKS!). SPOILT with a plethora of subs / gold tops growing in pristine coastal hinterland forest in my backyard. Another point I meant to mention was the absence of blueing, which was also evident on my Germany picking jaunts. In other words, if they look like it and smell like it (evident power rush on smelling) they probably are it. (Even if no blueing). Hey BM, you should check your messages mate! Will definately PM andy, other than my itty bitty button, terrarium & my mate MJ out the back, I'm sorely in need of some psychobotanical variety, trade sound cool. B)

1. Pic is definately Psilocybian. I´m pretty sure it´s a Liberty Cap or a close relative.

2. Pretty sure that´s it´s no psilocybian. I kept it though to make a print which became purplish.

3. Pic seems to be some Hypholoma.

post-1140-1128656195_thumb.jpg

post-1140-1128656216_thumb.jpg

post-1140-1128656244_thumb.jpg

Hi,

i just spent some hours on the fields for searching mushrooms. I am going to destroy the psilocybes now so nobody get´s intoxicated............

I found some very small dark spored mushrooms which look very psilocybian. If someone knows what species it could be please let me know! I made an pic showing one of these in comparation to a Liberty Cap.

The two other Pic shows a (3) Group of Panaeoli and (2) two mushrooms which could be psilocybian but i doubt this. They are a little bit too fragile to me.

1. Liberty Cap/ Unknown small psilo(?)

2. two mushrooms which could be psilocybian

3. Group of a Panaeoli

4.Group of Unkown(to me) Psilocybes/ The same like in pic 1

More to come soon. I found bags of all kind of nice brownies...

post-1140-1128709463_thumb.jpg

post-1140-1128709523_thumb.jpg

post-1140-1128709704_thumb.jpg

post-1140-1128709732_thumb.jpg

Just did a quick search on the net, Liberty caps do not appear to have any psilosin, but good amounts of psilocybin. This would explain the lack of blueing reaction, as it is the psilosin that blues and not the psilocybin. Maybe there everywhere and we just don't know what to look for, I'm in W.A. Do ya's think it possible for them to occur here? What areas should I be lookin and when? For the best likelyhood of finding these? :uzi::uzi::uzi::wave-finger::wave-finger::bootyshake: I like these icons!!!

Have seen these little ones also whilest out hunting in Copper top territory in Southern Vic.

I can remember pointing out the Liberty Cap resemblance to a friend. Always plenty of subs around so didnt bother.

Little did I know ;)

Hey Naja naja,

My so called semi's occur in sheep paddocks with low growing pasture grass (semis need the manure supposedly). Tend to cluster in little tufts of coarser grass that either provide cover from elements or stock doesn't eat. Tend to be found in moister areas of paddock like small depressions or stock trails / rivulets that hold a little moisture, also seem predominant on south facing slopes, not northern slopes, don't know if this is my imagination but seems to be the case.

Happy Picking!

I used to find liberty caps in Canberra from time to time. I never really bothered with them because I was never 100% sure, whereas the subs were easier to get and potent. I was also put off by the lack of blue staining... but they tasted the same and seemed to be from the psilocybe family.

Does anyone know if Liberty Caps grow in asia?

Subs are not quite that easy to get here in W.A. The cops can do a pretty good job at policing it as they occur in a fairly limited range, also the locals help them out quite a bit cause it doesn't take much to stand out in small towns. So unless your a nice innocent looking pensioner. Your running the risk of being presumed guilty, just by walking through the forrest at a certain time of year. So unless you have friend with property to pick from down there, your into the infiltration zone where the cops can be around any bend and even search you out in the bush(pretty hardcore) I have to drive 1.5 h there even though it's only 90KM away(roads) and walk 4 km to pick. If I could find them/or some other type closer to home I would be much happier and safer!

Aswell as enabling picking closer to home, I would also assume that if the cop that busted you knew what subs looked like, he/she might not bust you as they presume you have picked the wrong ones accidentily. Not knowing you have actually picked your target species. Also you would be targeting a species that far fewer would be, therefore shouldn't have problems with people ripping your patches and such.

Do they produce purple spore prints like other psilocybes? :innocent_n:

Now im a little confused - are you finding those mushrooms in Australia Evil Genius or are you finding them in Germany??

I cant really comment on where Semilanceata grow in Australia - after all ive only spent countless hours searching throughout Victoria and NSW for them over the last five years... :) But never, ever found them once myself...

I do know and have seen herbarium specimens of Psilocybe semilanceata collected from Mount Buffalo Victoria and Ferret reckons his mate pulls them at Beechworth.

In New Zealand - where I have tried them and enjoyed thoroughly i might add - they grow usually only at altitude on mountain-sides - not down in paddocks.

That being said - I have also been told by people who had no reason to lie that they have found 'witch's hats' all around in the grass and manured grasses around cold Armidale and Canberra - never told any one this before since i could not find out for myself and the person was not trained in mycology or identification of mushrooms (told me that the good ones stain red)...

So they are definately in Australia - I would suggest only at altitude in grassland or where its cold would be ideal... Good luck guys...

And do note that there are species that are quite similar looking to Ps.semilanceata with brown sporesd in Victoria that is not active.

Hi Bluemeanie,

it could be possible that i forgot to mention that i am located in germany :innocent_n:

I know most of psilocybian mushrooms that grow here but i don´t know the exact ID of some of them as we have some few who are very similar to each other. Besides i know for sure that some of the species like azurescens and baeocystis have been successfully introduced to germany too.har har. So there´s plenty find and to photograph around here. But for the disclaimers sake, i surely don´t collect or consume them. I bought me a microscop ebut it seems that i´m way too igrnorant to use it at the moment. I´ll try again when i have more spare time. Is Someone around here who has Experience in using Microscopes?BestRegs EG

O.K. guys!!!!!!!

Lets not let legal shit get in the way of mycology study and science. There is nothing illegal about finding certain species of plant and mushrooms growing somewhere where they are illegal. Unless you have deliberately cultivated them yourself you have done nothing wrong. Infact, the mycological community will be more than happy with a new discovery with in australia, or maybe an intrduced species, or maybe an unknown. This is valuable information, regardless of it's drug content. Also a few others here say that they have identified them within Australia, So in the name of science take photo's, spore prints, send dried samples to a museum to catalouge and I.d. To the fungimap too.

Information is not illegal, it's only if you use certain information for illegal purposes that it becomes illegal.

As it says on that show COPS "knowledge, is power!"