The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
AndyAmine.

Lysol in Australia?

Hi guys,

Does anyone know of an Australian supplier for Lysol?

I found a vet supply place that sells it under another name but you have to buy 10ltr's or more...

Any help would be very much appreciated or perhaphs a trade could be arranged?

isn't that just the same as Glen20?

why lysol?

isopropyl or metho no good?

I thought it was the same stuff too so what's your take on Glen20 Rev?

Is it as good as say isopropyl alc or is that what it is??..doesn't say on the can.

I don't really like buggerin around with bleaches myself.

[ 06. September 2005, 13:16: Message edited by: mescalito ]

dunno just sounds like an expensive way to spray ethanol about

i used to add euc or tea tree oil to metho and its makes great surface cleaner (and sometimes dissolver!)

and it kills roaches too! fast!

anyway

i wouldnt use glen20 simply cos i know 70$% etOH plus an antibacterial oil work well

u could use the cineols or thymol or lemon scented oils like lemon or lemon myrtle

Glen20 is 70% ethanol and about 30% water. That ratio is more efficient as a steriliser than higher alcohol percentages. Darklight uses a similar ratio for tissue culture clean up.

Glen20 just has a hideous smell added to it, depletes the ozone layer and is much more flammable because of the propellant. 80%Metho + 20% water in a pump pack is probably the smarter choice.

Torsten:

Glen20 just has a hideous smell added to it, depletes the ozone layer and is much more flammable because of the propellant.

It does have a very nasty perfume added

Does it contain CFCs or some other ozone depletant? I was under the impression CFCs were no longer used in aerosols (and CFCs aren't flammable, I don't think)

WTF is 'original scent' anyway???

Shit makes me sneeze for an hour...metho smells heaps nicer.

quote:

(and CFCs aren't flammable, I don't think)

No but they form lovely chemicals called phosgenes...now that's something to take your breath away

Originally posted by creach:

Does it contain CFCs or some other ozone depletant? I was under the impression CFCs were no longer used in aerosols (and CFCs aren't flammable, I don't think)

I guess you answered that one yourself

The propellant is probably butane.

I just walked in to my local chemist and asked for lysol. They had it just off the shelf. 97%isopropyl with a nice lemon scent. Also good for a hand cleaner and after shave, so the bottle says! The science supply place wanted me to sign a contract not to use it for illegal purposes to buy it off them. So some things are just available in wierd places sold under wierd names for wierd uses. Think outside the box when searching for supplies.

Ahh, of course, duuhhhhhh..... the little green bottle wiht the aligator on it.

I have some in my bathroom, I was thinking it was something else after seeing it online in a difernt bottle., I thought it was an antibacterial chemical I had read about before. I was confused..

I jst read before that another really good disinfectant is 2 spray bottles one containing 3% H2O2 and the other containing white vinegar.

They are then sprayed one after the other and left for 5 mins.

They must be kept sperate otherwise the solution will become ineffective after a short while.

:o:o I got 'greenhouse gas' confused with 'ozone depleting'.

most if not all labs use a solution of 70% ethanol and 30% water for general sterlisation of bench tops, etc. the 30% water is needed to allow the alcohol to most effectively pass through the cell membranes. watered down methylated spirits will work (generally has a >95% ethanol content), but if you want isopropanol diggers sell it 100% concentration.

[ 07. September 2005, 14:56: Message edited by: Trich-Aura ]

Torsten:

:o       :o    I got 'greenhouse gas' confused with 'ozone depleting'.

CFC's are both but the mechanims is not the same