The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

Summer/ Winter edibles

What would be the best progression of species/cultivars to guarantee year round edibles? Rev? Anyone?

Is this even relevant if some species can be induced to fruit by sticking in the fridge or freezer for a couple of days?

ie innoculate species A 3 months before autumn for fruiting in autumn, ditto for winter/ summer etc

One day I'd like to grow some shiitake again, but aren't there different cultivars for different seasons?

I did a quick search here and couldn't find much on seasonality... did I miss something?

theres warm weather, cool weather and intermediate strains

i have NFI which mine are but im up to s7 (y7 collections) so far.

this winter im going to get into them and see whats what and try n find an easy way to grow edible amounts.

fisrt step is logs, next progression is to try and succedd with pasteuristaion of sawdust only in oven bags for the final phase

(cos not everybody has bags or a p/c big enough)

i recently tried a 80:20 mix of hardwood sawdust: rhodes grass seed trash with some gypsum and moistened with 5g/L urea sterilised in bags

and got erytngii going very well

i think shiitake would like it too

i know for certain that shiitake,king stroph, eryngii oyster and

the native oyster really respond to the cool weather shift in autumn

many oysters dont care tho. neither does lions mane or reishi.

when i get time. working a 50 hour week right now in addition to these FF commitemnets at night and weekends

yes your warm weather shrooms are oysters.

adapted strains of ostreatus, elm oysters, pinks, golds, indian

i wish i had macrocybe crassa and volvariella but no go yet. thee are very warm weather species

the warm weather shiitake fruit at around the 27C mark

spring and autumn u can grow most things.

in the dea of winter the rh drops down low but garbage bag culture is still ok in a humid spot

hey boss have you picked up any 'spent' agaricus bags lately?

theres a place in lismore u can buy from and they still have acouple flushed left in them then they make great compost for the veggies.

if you are going to fruit indoors you can probably grow most things all year round

Rev:

hey boss have you picked up any 'spent' agaricus bags lately?theres a place in lismore u can buy from and they still have acouple flushed left in them then they make great compost for the veggies.

Hey boss no, haven't seen them. Where do you get them?

if you are going to fruit indoors you can probably grow most things all year round

Won't have the feelthy fuckers in the house, spores and contaminants going everywhere all over my nice clean TC lab, no way :P

Ive tried a few volvariella isolates - nothing...

what did u try them on?

i reckon we need somebody in cairns during the wet season to give thema go

but where do you get rice straw up there?

whats needed is a banana or sugar adapted strain

i mean they need freakin hot temps to be at optimum then theyre as fast as mould - fruiting in just a week or so

re agaricus bags

the exact place.. hmm

im thinking i know but then im noit so sure.

I recall it being down the bottom of a steep road heading away from the hospital towards the road to ballina

ill get some myself next time i go that way if i can - prob next weekend as i need to get crushed quartz from alstonville. when i find the exact adddress ill post it

its an indian family that runs the shop. They run a mushie farm growing agaricus. they buy the precolonised bags, crop them then they sell off the commercially spent bags.

actually NRRBS has them sometimes. not lately though.

The best time to buy is the cooler humid months and i reckon youre shadhouse would be pretty good. and as i said the spent compost will get your asparagus and salads pumping

u know when i was looking for mushroom related jobs i saw there was a place out kyogle way i think. yellow pages.

All mushroom farms generate large numbers of these spent bags and they are waste so i reccomend anybody to check out their local.

It is definitely the easiest way to grow button mushrooms and at the price your really only paying for either the compost or the shrooms and the other is free.

im not sure what kind of chems growers can use in australia.

[ 06. June 2005, 07:47: Message edited by: Rev ]

theres a mushroom farm south of armidale somewhere... i think on the new england highway... i was really tempted to stop go in and askif i could have a look around!

i should have im sure they woulda been friendly.