The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
shroomster

P.Euacalypta print

Hello All

I may be on the wrong side of this crazy mixed up planet but if your still looking for the Eucalypta print I can probably point you in the right direction.

Well I can at least get someone to show you where a patch grows,If I remember it was around this time last year that we found them.

Send me a private mail

Shroomster

• Like 1

we've had a very dry year, so things might be a little different.

I'd be happy to go for a look and take some happy snaps and prints wink.gif

Id love to see some pictures - a gill fragment and some prints for Reville and myself would be a lovely bonus!!!!

I'm just doing some research on Eucalypta and the only person I know or have known to have taken them is shroomster (the OP!) who told me 2 of these little guys blew him into outer space. (moreso than anything else!) I have heard of some other Nimbin guys having taken them too.

As I recall, he said they grew around Blue Knob on wallaby dung! Interesting that they grow also in April, but shroomster said they were present in early June.

Note that in this well known poster showing psilocybin mushrooms, eucalypta looks completely different to subaeruginosa. (which is not shown in this photo of the poster)

I'm just wondering if anyone else has any info/heresay on these guys?

eucalypta.jpg

Edited by folias
  • Like 1

Good to see an explanation of why there is a myth that Eucalypta is synonymous with subaeruginosa. I'm with Stamets and the others anyday rather than Chang and Mills.

Edited by folias
  • Like 1

Stamets totally ignored the cross compatibility work of Chang and Mills, the taxonomical lechotype examinations of Johnson and Buchanan which unlike his ponderings here actually have a scientific/research basis.

Ps eucalypta is a phenotype of psilocybe subaeruginosa and it has the same hyaline bowling pin shaped cystidia.

But more recent dna extraction puts subaeruginosa very close to Ps cyanescens possibly even casting doubt on subaeruginosa's delineation.

• Like 2

And for the records they look the same as subaeruginosa really. They have the same grey-flecked stipe you dont see on european and american lignious psilocybes

• Like 2

But more recent dna extraction puts subaeruginosa very close to Ps cyanescens possibly even casting doubt on subaeruginosa's delineation.

:blink:

Just because eucaplypta *looks* the same, doesn't mean they are the same, and also the resulting experiences are likely to be very different.

My experience is that there is a world of difference between subaeruginosa and the nightcap winter wood loving mushrooms, presumed to be P. subaeruginascens by some, which I believe is a totally different species of mushroom.

Subaeruginosa and cyanescens are very clearly different species, to claim they are the same because their DNA is identical is like saying Australian Aboriginals are the same people as the Balinese. Yes, they are same species, but the racial difference is very clearly pronounced.

I have personally collected subaeruginosa under coil pine in the nightcap ranges. Under the scope they had the classic clear bowling pin cystidia and were identical to collections from Canberra, perth and melbourne.

Its got nothing to do with looking the same - studies demonstrate they are cross compatible and dna analysis also confirmed this.

Regional variation in indole content is possible but im not talking opinion here im talking evidence. Johnson and buchanan suggested subaeruginosa was very close to cyanescens and recent dna evidence again supports that contention.

• Like 2

But that is just it btw - the 'racial' differences in subaeruginosa are strikingly non existent. the only subs that look unique are from SA

• Like 1

This is an excerpt from Snu's book regarding the Nightcap Winter Wood loving mushrooms.

"P. subaeruginascens is found in Japan and Java (Guzmán 1983); Japanese cultivated mycelium has yielded 0.017-0.018% psilocybin (Koike et al. 1981). Material found growing in n.e. New South Wales [Australia] in ‘lantana’ mulch, and in association with Acacia melanoxylon, is be- lieved by its collectors to be P. subaeruginascens, and has proven very potent when fresh, less so when dry (Recher pers. comm.; pers. obs.). Fragments of dry material [in poor condition] bearing gills were sent to Gaston Guzmán, who identified them as P. subaeruginosa [based partly on the fact that P. subaeruginascens has not been recorded in Australia] (pers. obs.). However, the collector noted their appearance when fresh to be different to that of P. subaeruginosa [and very similar to the photo of P. subaeruginascens in Stamets (1996)], and is not convinced by this diag- nosis (Recher pers. comm.). "

I personally think the nightcap mushrooms are their own unique species, experientially they are a whole different world to subaeruginosa in my opinion.

It is possible you may have stumbled upon another undescribed species. Ps aucklandii has been reported in NSW although never verified.

For years people have been incorrectly reporting Psilocybe alutecea as Psilocybe tasmaniana (the "species" that Roy Watling didnt even submit one type specimen before publishing.

http://mushroomobserver.org/observer/show_observation/68266

there are other undescribed blue stainers. A coldcweather Panaeolus was found just last year.

post photos of your finds.

Edited by Zen Peddler
  • Like 1