The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
psycho0

Zulu warriors and fly agaric

i flicked over to the discovery channel the other day to a show about zulu warrioprs or something

anyway they were talking about before going into battle, as they thought they would not return, the waarriors wou.ld take a snuff made from a red mushroom.

it would send them into a frenzy not unlike that of the berserka vikings

the drug was called muscimol so i gather the red mushrooim was the fly agaric

does anyone havbe any more info opn this or the use of f,ly agaric as a snuff?

thanx in advance

aaron

Guest Mesqualero

nevermind

[This message has been edited by Mesqualero (edited 09 May 2002).]

HUH?

my query is: do the right trees exist in zulu country to form the symbiosis with fly? from your description it sounds about right but i would have thought that zulu country was not pine,oak,birch country. i could be wrong as i didn't bother to research what i've stated.

Guest Mesqualero

I originally posted the same thing. ie: I thought that africa was hardly the place to find Fly Agarics.. howevere after looking into it further i found that Amanita species have been found in south africa and also in Northern Africa... so yeah spose it is possible that Zulus made use of it

It's possible. I think I've heard of its use amongst the Zulus before. I've never encountered it's use as a snuff, 'tho.

[What's this nasal fixation we're getting?]

Talking of Amanitas, I was wondering when these little beauties fruit. I keep forgetting and would like to take some photos.

Does anyone know any areas around sydney where they might be found?

I found some fly (I think) in ringwood in melbourne the other day. So they are fruiting here now. Although Adrian says they have been doing so for about a month now.

Does anyone know if there are very poisonous varieties of amanita that should not be consumed. There is a very diverse range of fairly contradictory information on the net.

Also in general I have been told that many mushroom species can be found all over the world in unlikely places due to the incredible ease (spores) with which they can propegate.

poisonous! and badly so is the a.phalloides but you'll not easily mistake it for the fly.

Guest Mesqualero

Deadly Amanita mushrooms include Amanita Verna, http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Amanita+Verna

Amanita Virosa http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Am...G=Google+Search

and Amanita Phalloides http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=Am...nita+phalloides

There are probably more?? Anyways they are obviously much different looking than Amanita Muscaria..

[This message has been edited by Mesqualero (edited 13 May 2002).]