The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spiraleyes

bacteria in mushrooms

ok i spoke to my parents today.

they mentioned to me that earlier this week on the late night news one of the stories was the recent discovery of a bacteria that theyve found that exists in a type or types of magic mushrooms.

they couldnt really remember what it said,but it was something like once you eat the mushroom and contract the bacteria it attacks your liver and you can never get rid of it.

they couldnt tell me much more.

huh??

what is this?

anybody see it?

is this a scam to stop people eating these things or what?

seems a bit strange.ey

Dont know if its true or not, but it sounds like a good reason to pasteurize and dry your mushrooms. Even if it is scare tactics that kinda stuff CAN still happen. Ya only got one liver and a new one is VERY EXPENSIVE! And thats if you live long enough to make it to the top of the liver transplant list.

You're right, I'd be looking for the reference papers on this, and checking to see that even if it was true ( which I doubt ) it wasn't something potentially present in all wild mushrooms, psychadelic or not smile.gif

After all, how many hospitalisations are reported each year for this? I've never heard of one... With so many ppl harvesting all types of mushrooms from the wild, if it were riskier than, say, a grand piano materialising in the sky and falling on your head, the govt would have banned all wild mushroom harvests, regardless of spp.

Yeah, I reckon bullshit.

A bacterium that causes liver damage that grows specifically Psilocybin mushroms. Yeah Ok.

Unless you are talking about the usual food poisoning, campys, salmonallas, listeria, faecal coliform etc.. but that happens with shit loads of stuff from, fruit juices to partially cooked meats. I dunno about heat treating Mushrooms, prolly a good idea healthwise, but the activity may drop. Don't know the stability of these tryptamines off hand. Unless of course you're picking the shiteloving chaps, from shite.

All my honest opinion, whatever thats worth, but I'm of the ilk that don't think a sterile (Michael Jackson) world is particularly good for you, I may be biased.

If you're in any way immunosuppressed (AIDS - Flu) then I wouldn't fuck with anything.

Of course, my mind is open to education, refs please.

l8r Kai

if its true, my liver is a bacteria farm

"I think we can add this one to the myth list "- Veronica

Not so fast!

You shouldn't even think of writing things off as myths until you find and review all available scientific data, and so far noone here has done that.

Things that people wrote off as myths at one time or another include:

Bacteria

Viruses

AIDS (before and after it was found to be viral)

The world is round

Atoms

Molecules

Other worlds

Honest politicians (they are rare, but a few DO exist)

etc...

You shouldn't discount information just because you find it to be inconvenient or unlikely. Fact is there ARE bacteria that produce hepatotoxins, therefore it is not unthinkable that such bacteria could live somewhere where they could be eaten.

Auxin lighten up..

I didnt say such bacteria dont exist.

Myth means a fiction or half-truth, I used the term myth because thats just what a lot of these stories are (dont forget this is a storie that spiraleyes parents saw u do the math)people just make these stories up because thay dont like poeple doing these things like taking magic mushrooms.(scare tatic if you will)

As spiraleyes asked in his first post is this a scam to stop people eating these things or what?

And as it stands at the moment thats all it is untill some one comes out with evidence to confirm otherwise.

You shouldn't discount information just because you find it to be inconvenient or unlikely

I dont discount any information.

I just dont belive every thing I here on tv and in the papers and iam not going to stick my head in the sand and belive it with out evidence but I do have an open mind about these thing.

I just think you can be a little over opinionated some times Auxin your a very smart guy and you no your sruff but dont jumb down peoples throats and give a lecture when there being light harted.

Ok maybe I should of used scare tactic insted of myth but I dont need a lecture on what I write. mad.gif

[This message has been edited by Veronica (edited 22 June 2002).]

"I dont need a lecture on what I write."

I didn't mean to give a lecture, I guess my light-hearted talk is very different than most peoples! Its probably that opinionated thing- you were probably right about that.

If it ever sounds like I'm preaching (or angry), try to remember that I don't mean it that way!

I just have an almost unlimited thirst for accurate scientific data- speculation and generalization makes my head hurt but pure factual data puts me into a state of deep spiritual ecstasy. Thats just the way I am.

Freaky? Yes

Painful? Yes

Inconvenient? Yes

True? Yes, so what can I do.

Originally posted by Auxin:

Thats just the way I am.

Freaky? Yes

Painful? Yes

Inconvenient? Yes

True? Yes, so what can I do.

Dont do anything...thats what makes us who we are and its constructive criticism that helps us along the way.

Originally posted by waterdragon:

such a pretty head, so little sand.

If this post wasnt ment for me disregard what comes next, but iam shore it was.(must be the hourglass thing) wink.gif

What can I say but I find it very offensive.

I dont like be called stupid and i dont think you would like to be offended like that on a public forum either.

If you have a problem with me a bit of constructive criticism would be a lot nicer than calling me stupid WD.

I know iam not the most talented person when it comes to my writing skills, but I didnt realise we have to be Einsteins to be apart of this community.

I think iam just one of those people no mater what i post some one will have something to through bake in my face.

Anyway this will be my last post on these forums. I will just stick to lurking around in the back ground where my mouth wont get me into to much trouble.

You really hit the nail on the head AuxinThats just the way I am.

Take care every one wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Veronica (edited 23 June 2002).]

yeeeoww, it bites. doesn't say or infer stupid anywhere in that post. someone recently posted "lighten up". give it a go.

Veronica, don't stop posting because of Auxin. He is enthusiastic but frequently wrong.

Every who posts here is likely to get someone hassling them. I get the impression that is usually because communication is hampered by excessive practical experiments in our beloved subject wink.gif

I think also our communication is limited by the non personal nature of the internet. Perhaps if we could see each other smile a little we wouldn't be so quick to argue.

But that's whats these things are for wink.gif !!

Originally posted by Auxin:

Honest politicians (they are rare, but a few DO exist)

yeah sure, name one. wink.gif

[This message has been edited by jetblack (edited 27 June 2002).]

"Veronica, don't stop posting because of Auxin."- theobromos

Hey, dont blame it all on me. The comment that seemed to push her over the edge was made by waterdragon, and she said it was not because of any single comment by any single person that put her off, but rather a trend of people jumping on every one of her posts.

Also, as far as me frequently bein' wrong goes- everyone is frequently wrong, what matters is that I try my damndest to be right most of the time for the benefit of others. ( Funny thing is, when people say I am wrong half the time they are talkin' about one of my opinions, not one of my facts. I am of the sort that thinks opinions are never wrong, as long as they are stated as opinions. )

Veronica, incase your reading this I really didn't mean any offence. Sorry if it seemed otherwise. I dont think anyone here meant any real offence, and I really dont think anyone meant to push you out.

my comment was taken out of context and i couldn't be fucked trying to explain it. it was just a drive-by comment based on veronica mentioning her head and sand. i blame auxin for getting her in a fighting mood with his unscrupulous and mischievous quoting BwaaHaaa. but then again veronica should have just replied with a simple WD WTF? and i would have spelled it out a little clearer. it's really not my style to pick on anyone who hasn't earned it and a search of my past posts would have revealed that the bulk of my posts are helpful and light hearted.

Guest Mesqualero

Don't go Veronica ! *pouts*

Waterdragon: I didnt say that what you said was bad, I just didn't want to be accused of more than my share. I know you didnt mean any offense.

Anyone: Back me up, Please. Maby I'm socially blind, maby its that culture barrier thing, but I really dont think I said anything that inflamatory. But I do know when I'm beaten (and way off topic) so I'll stay quiet on this topic for a while.

And we are a bit off topic, perhaps this could be continued in the chill space under the heading 'Veronica dont go!' I'll probably still be beaten, but at least I'll be on topic.

Again, someone please back me up or at least tell me what was so bad that it would prompt such agression. Its not like I meant to scare someone off.

relax auxin, neither u nor i committed a mortal sin...and veronica can be a bit feisty. with any luck she'll get over it and realise not every response should be taken as a personal attack.