The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
SaBReT00tH

Lophophora W & P Somniferum In Oz

After reading various articles on the internet telling me one thing, and senior members of EBA telling me the opposite thing I am starting this thread to officially discuss the legality of growing Lophophora Williamsii and Papaver Somniferum in Australia. I thought growing P Somniferum could get you charged as they are illegal, and also with L Williamsii. Also, I read somewhere that cannabis seeds are legal to sell and possess??

I have not done extensive research on this and only repeat what I have picked up from people here and a little bit of reading elsewhere:

There is a list of plants that are illegal to cultivate or possess. These plants are all scheduled in the TGAs schedule of controlled substances. Specifically written in there with their linnean names. I do not know if these plants are also listed elsewhere but I believe their illegality stems primarily from their inclusion in the TGA schedule. Torsten or someone will clarify this :) .

This list consists of:

Papaver somniferum, Cannabis sp./sativa (not sure which), Erythroxylum sp., Salvia divinorum, and Mitragyna speciosa.

Lophophora w, several Trichocereus', khat, caapi, numerous Acacias, HBWR, and many other species contain substances which have been scheduled, yet the plant species have not been included in the schedule themselves.

As I understand it the TGA is not great at communicating, but this has been interpreted to mean that these plants are entirely legal to be in possession of, as long as you do not intend to use them for drug purposes.

But how then to establish that intent? Perhaps if you were found with a half-made pedro soup and an Erowid page on cactus preparation open that would be enough. Or perhaps just the cactus soup. Or perhaps just a growing cactus, and an erowid page in your browser history. There is very little precedent in this country for these kinds of cases so we don't really know.

yep, creach summed it up nicely.

I was trying to get the TGA to categorically state that possession of live plants containing S9 substances is legal (except the 5 species listed by name), but they referred me to the state drug enforcement because S8 and S9 are enforced under state drug acts.

So we have no confirmation of this yet. So far it appears that the authorities have to prove some intent to consume/sell/manufacture. like creach said, if you mail a cactus cutting with a recipe of how to boil it up then that is definitely intent. Sending a cutting and possessing books that describe the process may also show intent. It all comes down to the magistrate.

OK thanks! So are P Somniferum seeds legal to posess? I thought with say Marijuana seeds you would get arrested straight away, so is it the same with P Somniferum, and M Speciosa? Also, do you know what the S8 and S9 state drug act for SA is regarding this stuff? Is there one state which has harsher state legislation or interpretations than another? If you say is true, couldn't one have a cannabis sativa or cannabis indica plant and conduct legitimate research or medical research on it and claim the same defence?

[ 29. June 2005, 18:15: Message edited by: sugeshotcha ]

poppy seeds are legal under an exemption.

what about Absinthe, is that legal to bring over into Australia, or legal to buy or posess here???

as far as i know its legal to buy and consume,,they sell it in the local IGA.

good fun shared wit mates!

there are many, many things that are illegal to import, but are legal to possess. absinthe is one of these (but there seems to be an exemption for weak absinthe).

[ 01. July 2005, 05:12: Message edited by: Torsten ]

What would be the legallity of actual "Authentic Absinthe" here in Oz?

customs prohibits the importation of wormwood oil and anything containing it. so theoretically absinthe import is illegal. there is no restriction on possession as far as I know. sale is restricted under food laws to the low thujone brands.

kool thanks T :)

there are many, many things that are illegal to import, but are legal to possess. absinthe is one of these (but there seems to be an exemption for weak absinthe).

<small>[ 01. July 2005, 05:12: Message edited by: Torsten ]</small>

what about Strong absinthe solution?? The guy in adelaide happy high herbs told me that it has a lot of thujone in it and is allowed through customs cause it's not already premixed with alcohol. Is this true, or was this guy just trying to grab my $20 cash??

what about Strong absinthe solution?? The guy in adelaide happy high herbs told me that it has a lot of thujone in it and is allowed through customs cause it's not already premixed with alcohol. Is this true, or was this guy just trying to grab my $20 cash??

Absinthe is defined as an alcoholic beverage and hence is controlled under liquor and customs laws. If you remove the ethanol and water from absinthe then it is no longer a beverage. It would hence fall under essential oil blends, which do not have any restrictions on possession. There are still restrictions on import, but these don't apply if it is locally made.

O.k.

Since this thread has moved to absinthe I have to ask....

If one were to purchace a concentrate to make absinthe from vodka, which one/brand/supplier would you guy's recommend?

10ml Abinthe concentrate from SAB?

10ml Artemisia absinthum Essential Oill from SAB?

20ml asinthe consentrate from herbalistics?

Or maybe a fortified mix of an extract and an essential oil?

Do the Absinthe concentrates available contain appreciable ammounts of thujone?

Since I can buy 70+% alcoholic absinthe from my local bottle shop, has any1 had success in aquiring 70+% vodka in Australia from bottle shops(under/behind the counter sorta deal?)

Thanks guy's

Since I can buy 70+% alcoholic absinthe from my local bottle shop, has any1 had success in aquiring 70+% vodka in Australia from bottle shops(under/behind the counter sorta deal?)

Earlier this year when I duty free shopping, there were over proof bottles of smirnoff at the brisbane airport.

It was labeled either double or triple strength, and had a purple/grey label rather then the normal red smirnoff label.. can't remember what its actual alc/vol was. So I'm guessing it shouldn't too hard to find.

-bumpy

Earlier this year when I duty free shopping, there were over proof bottles of smirnoff at the brisbane airport.

It was labeled either double or triple strength, and had a purple/grey label rather then the normal red smirnoff label.. can't remember what its actual alc/vol was. So I'm guessing it shouldn't too hard to find.

-bumpy

In the states we call that "Smirnoff Blue" and it's 80%.

O.K. so I looked around the net trying to find out the alc% for smirnof blue, but alas it was knowhere to be found(not even smirnofs' web page!!!!) I got an Idea it might be the export strength 100proof, but that doesn't correspond with what was said above "80%" unless you were refering to 40%alc, 80proof. Alot of diff there!!!

So does anyone know for sure what the percentage of the blue is?

I'm looking for 70%alc,140proof. :devil:

And none of the web pages above even state any alc % for any of their liqours(wierd)

Thanks for the help guy's

I don't know where I'd be with out ya's

O.K. so I looked around the net trying to find out the alc% for smirnof blue, but alas it was knowhere to be found(not even smirnofs' web page!!!!) I got an Idea it might be the export strength 100proof, but that doesn't correspond with what was said above "80%" unless you were refering to 40%alc, 80proof. Alot of diff there!!!

So does anyone know for sure what the percentage of the blue is?

I'm looking for 70%alc,140proof. :devil:

And none of the web pages above even state any alc % for any of their liqours(wierd)

Thanks for the help guy's

I don't know where I'd be with out ya's

I thought the blue was just the same alcohol strength as red except it's finer quality, kinda like Johnny red and black, and jim beam white and black. All I know is that it's very hard to find any strong alcoholed vodkas or spirits in general in Australia.

Absinthe is defined as an alcoholic beverage and hence is controlled under liquor and customs laws. If you remove the ethanol and water from absinthe then it is no longer a beverage. It would hence fall under essential oil blends, which do not have any restrictions on possession. There are still restrictions on import, but these don't apply if it is locally made.

mine was apparently imported from Sweden. Do you know what kind of restrictions would be placed on an imported item such as this. I'm still suprised such a solution with such a high amount of thujone in it (more than normal premixed absinthe apparently) could be imported so easily.

I thought the blue was just the same alcohol strength as red except it's finer quality, kinda like Johnny red and black, and jim beam white and black. All I know is that it's very hard to find any strong alcoholed vodkas or spirits in general in Australia.

Jim beam black is 8yo and 43% jim beam white is 3yo and37% green is 5 yo and 37% Gold(when is was around is 8yo and 50%

Higher quality does normally(in bourbon anyways) mean higher(even if just slightly) alcohol percentages, but not always.

But anyhow, anybody got an empty blue vodka bottle sittin on the shelf they can have a quick look at to c for me? or just know for sure where or what brand name to look for to get 70+%

my parents friends distill their own stuff, do ya think I could get em to distill me some normal vodka into 70+% or just any grain alcohol they are dealing with(aslong as it's got a neutral flavour?)

P.S. My favourite bourbon and available all the time(but it's $90 a bottle) is bottled between 121-127 proof(differs from bottle to bottle,barrel to barrel) uncut, unfiltered strait from the barrel between 6-9 years aged. yummmmmmm,But it's not suitable, nor would I dare turn it into absinthe.

mine was apparently imported from Sweden. Do you know what kind of restrictions would be placed on an imported item such as this. I'm still suprised such a solution with such a high amount of thujone in it (more than normal premixed absinthe apparently) could be imported so easily.

technically illegal under customs laws, but they get away with it somehow. it's NOT the customs drugs schedule btw.