The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Salviador

Statute of limitations in OZ

A number of months ago, as many of you are aware i tried to buy a small amount of pot off a police officer. In the conversation i asked if he had ever tried pot himself, however he refused to answer the question because, according to him, there is no statute of limitations in oz. So in his scenario, supposedly if he had been out of the country before he became an officer and was proven to have taken drugs in the past, he would face disciplinary charges/ be expelled from the force.

I did a bit of research, and i found one mention of this. for commonwealth offences that impose a maximum penalty of over 6 months imprisonment there is no statute of limitations. However individual laws in states will be different and there will be clear limitations there

Now after reading it seems that he was probably referring to laws that apply specifically to police...

Its really hard to find information on legal issues like this, is there anywhere on the net that has this stuff?

yes ofcors there is

it varies depending on the crime

murder for example doesnt have one at all

i couldnt tell you what any of them are tho

Statutes of limitations are either set in the respective acts, or in each states "Limitation of actions act".

I am intrigued by this. I always assumed most matters were 6 or 7 years (which appears to be correct in terms of non-criminal matters), but I think it is really time we found concrete information about drug offences. I'll read the act again over the next coupple of weeks

Over the next couple of weeks? wow maybe i should be careful what i wish for re; long long complex and long legal documents :P

Obviously I don't know what actually happened to you, but I would say that if you ask someone if they have tried pot and their response is "I don't want to answer that, there is no statute of limitations in Australia" then I would assume they are a cop. :)

Doesn't sound like the kind of answer a drug dealer would give. That said, who actually asks their dealer "have you tried pot?"

If you don't mind Salviador, could you briefly re-cap what happened to you? I like to know my rights and risks.

Obviously, if there are current legal proceedings, don't incriminate yourself.

Teehee, youve given me more credit than i deserve. I went to a public forum that used to be about politics, but is now about selling pot. I tried to buy some, but that day there was a bust, undercover police busted the dealers that were there and proceeded to stand around in the hope of catching unsuspecting students looking to relax :P Unfortunately i was one... phrases like im an officer and youre under arrest and its your unlucky day occured then. Basically i was given drug diversion and let off. While we were being processed, i asked the officer if he had tried pot himself and then, well the story continues from there. Not to defame the reputable name of Australian police, but i have my suspicions :P