The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Night Clubbing is an offence in the USA

more stunning news from the land of the free. I wonder how long it will take australia to copy this. After all, most states now have severe 'drug house' laws.

==================

Last year our supporters helped raise attention to an outrageous abuse of power in Racine, Wisconsin, where hundreds of music fans were ticketed for being in a crowded nightclub where a few people used drugs. Those ticketed had no drugs on them. The police didn’t even have any evidence that they had ever used drugs. Their only “crime” was dancing at a nightclub where other people who used drugs were arrested. Although only three drug arrests were made, police issued citations to 445 innocent attendees with a penalty of $968 each for being "patrons of a disorderly house." Thanks to a public outcry from people like you, work by the Drug Policy Alliance, and an ACLU lawsuit, the citations were ultimately dismissed.

Now, it has happened again; this time in Flint, Michigan. On Saturday the local police raided a popular nightclub, Club What’s Next, and ticketed hundreds of music fans who were attending a dance night known as “Getting Lucky” (the DJs included Halluci-Nate, Sparkimus Prime, White Rabbit, Captain Cheddar and California's Dj Primo.) While some people were arrested for possessing or selling illegal drugs, most people were ticketed for “frequenting a drug establishment,” a misdemeanor offense.

That’s right. In Flint, Michigan (and many other cities) if you go out dancing on a Saturday night and the police happen to arrest other people at the club for drugs, you could be charged with a drug crime even though you had nothing to do with drugs. These innocent party-goers now face up to 90 days in jail and a $500 fine. They also face a criminal record with all the legal and social barriers that brings. Several people that were at the club that night told us club-goers were also subjected to strip searches, including full cavity searches – even though they had nothing to do with drugs. Imagine the police walking into your favorite bar or nightclub and subjecting you to a strip search for no reason! Imagine spending 90 days in jail or paying a $500 fine for dancing!

======================

if you're in the US you might want to head here:

http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/action/...MS=flintrave-aa

only in a america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the land of the free???????????

who defines free? if you cant even go to see some dudes spin!!!.

i had argument with a security clown in los angels for riding my skateboard in a empty carpark.

you cant ride your skatebaord here!!!!!

its a free country is'nt it????

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

"greatest democracy in the world" eventhough you only need what 6% of the population to win... although the last few elections have been pretty popular... i would make it 15% to be safe

you cant run a democracy when more then half the people are stupid

sad sad sad - yep Lorax - what you said is on the dot.

We in curacao are facing a refferendum April teh 8th. And I am afraid that the majority is stupid. Consequencesare that we will plummit to poverty if the majority chooses the wrong option.

The options are:

A. Independant island.

b. Autonomy still within the Dutch kingdom

c. No change in our relation to the other Dutch Carib islands and holland.

d. A province of Holland.

Option A. would totally suck,... most people understand that that would mean being cut off financially from Holland.

B. Is good,.. then we do not have anything to do with governing the other Dutch Carib islands.

C. I am positve that this is not the way either, although we can do allot more with the bilatteral agreement that we have with Holland. Bilateral also applies to opt B.

Option D. Muhahhahahah - Light up your joint in public - muhahahhahahah

Option D. Would lift us out of our social econmic shit hole ( lots of crime now - gunpoint robberies almost every single day, since people can not go with "Bollitas" cocaine filled latex balls carried in the stomach to Holland that easily anymore - population of 145000 people)

For me it is either Autonomy or Province of Holland. still have to decide. Province is very tempting and would be the quick (and hopefully temporary ) solution.

ohhh sorryto hijack - SICK BASTARD AMERICAN UPTIGHT ANAL LAW UPHOLDING F**KS!!!! GET A F**** LIFE! :mad:

that is my contribution to this tread :)

Land of Defeat,

Home of Depraved.

[ 30. March 2005, 07:35: Message edited by: Amulte ]

so if a heap of protesters go to the white house and drop acid can all the dickheads in the building get arrested too?

Uh no, in that case the acid droppers get arrested without cause as terrorists, under the PATRIOT act :)

Jesus, I would say that it the people who love democracy the most who are probably the most critical of it.

yesu on mesc is a troller --laugh or ignore-- DO NOT dignify his idiocy w/any kind ov response.

as far as the OP goes i am assured that any lawyer working pro bono (which i believe means for free, for the public good--maybe something like "work experience"-JOKE) will have these charges laughed out ov court.

hijack the whitedementedhouse it's water intake line and pour a strong psychedelic in it!

not for a case like that nabraxas... you could get a good lawyer for free because they all trying to make a name for themsleves... and also you have a pretty good chance of winning that 1

jasemateau:

only in a america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the land of the free???????????

who defines free?

This country pretends to be the land of the free and most people buy into it far more than they should. We are quickly becoming something other than free.

so if a heap of protesters go to the white house and drop acid can all the dickheads in the building get arrested too?

If a bunch of hippies on acid advanced on the white house (which should be called brown house because it contains mainly SHIT)

the National Guard would simply mow them down with machine guns.

They've done it before and will do it again.

I dare say: America under bush, germany under hitler, NO DIFFERENCE, all fucken nazis!

The U.S certainly does cover all the extremes - from the more advanced, free-thinking communities of California and elsewhere (eg. Massachusetts, Alaska) to redneck strongholds in other parts. This did surprise me - I suppose in some quarters dancing may still be a tool of the devil.

khanes - I don't think this is really about dancing, but rather about drugs. It follows on from the prohibition of pacifiers and glow sticks as 'drug paraphernalia (if used at a rave).

Edit: Drunk on passion pop enema

[ 31. March 2005, 09:52: Message edited by: min(E)rval ]

I remember the glow stick thing, one thing still has me wondering though- tons of folks drink water at raves, yet they havent prohibited water as "drug paraphenalia"

....Yet.

(and a tired old reminder- the US isnt a democracy, never has been, its a republic that allows limited sufferage (voteing), hell that bits even in our national song "and to the Republic for which it stands..." the 'democracy' catch phrase came about during a war as propaganda to make us sound better then the "godless commies". We arent a democracy and we dont 'spread democracy' (we tend to spread puppet regimes and totalitarian dictatorships))

"I don't think this is really about dancing, but rather about drugs. It follows on from the prohibition of pacifiers and glow sticks as 'drug paraphernalia (if used at a rave)."

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was just alluding, tongue in cheek, to the concern with dancing in some communities. For example, in some Mormon and Seventh Day Adventist Church communities dancing is still considered to be unacceptable.

khanes:

The U.S certainly does cover all the extremes - from the more advanced, free-thinking communities of California and elsewhere (eg. Massachusetts, Alaska) to redneck strongholds in other parts. This did surprise me - I suppose in some quarters dancing may still be a tool of the devil.

ALASKA?