The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Darklight

EB5 postponed til 2006

Regretfully we have to postpone the Ethnobotanica 5 conference, which was tentatively scheduled for early December this year and will now take place in 2006

All members of the committee were in agreeance with this decision, which stems from the fact that none of us can afford to front the conference money this year.

We're putting our resources together for a full scale conference next year in December, and we'll keep you posted on details.

frown.gif

Let us know the best way we can help.

Should I take out association membership now, or closer to the date?

Should I just buy lots of stuff from SAB, or some other specific vendor?

How can we help YOU Darklight? (as-in, how can we make you richer?)

:)

[ 03. September 2005, 04:59: Message edited by: Benzito ]

This is not just a matter of finances, but also of 'time to spare'. The conferences take a lot of time out of each of our schedules and when life in general is difficult it is not possible to dedicate the time that is required to put on a good event.

While none of the organisers have the finances this year, several of us also have personal matters that require our attention (in my case this is in the past, but I am still playing catch up for a few months).

The conferences usually only pay about half for themselves. The other half is donated by the organisers. On top of that is literally weeks of organising and administration.

We don't mind doing it and paying for it, but only if it doesn't suck the last bit of cash and energy we have.

So, in order to make sure EB5 has our full attention and good funding we have decided to delay it by a year. This will allow us to have the full event planned by early 2006 and tickets can go on sale soon after. The longer lead time will allow people to travel from further away and will give us time to provide/build more facilities at Wandjina (we've just had too many port-a-potty adventures ).

As with any event, purchasing tickets early means promoters have a better idea how much they can spend. Buying your ticket in the last few weeks means the extra funds cannot be put to improving the event. This is a fundamental thing to keep in mind. For every dollar you spend on your ticket we will spend 2 dollars on improving the conference!

Anyway, I will outline this again when the time comes.

Yes, please let us know how we can help. you (the EB team) provide so much for us, I for one would be happy to contribute my time or money for the cause...

Yeah Torsten, let us know whenever you can.

I've been wanting to join the Australian Ethnobotanical Conservation Association, but the web page is a little dated. heh :P

How much is membership, and where should the money be sent?

The membership is usually equivalent to the conference ticket price, so we can't really do new memberships until we know more about the conference. We might have to change that.

Benzito:

How can we help YOU Darklight?

You are so sweet! Hmmm...change the laws of physics or probability or similar? Nah, not much you can do really AFAIK

It's just been a shocking year for things in culture, next year will be better :) Anyhow you already helped me heaps when you did the diagnosis on the pump problem we were having. Saved us a lot of hassle now and in the future too, which we appreciate :D

How's that Journal coming along?

Hey Benz, I want you to email me now!

[ 06. September 2005, 03:40: Message edited by: darcy ]

Hmmm, I forgot about that till now. How is that journal coming along?