The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
2b

Hunter S Thompson - Dead

:( Yeh This is Tragic News to hear i just heard on triple J From Chris and Craig who were very shocked and sad to hear this. I just started to get into Hunter. S Thompson and this is a great loss of the founder for counterculture journalism also known also Gonzo Journalism.

But as Sad as this day is im sure Hunter S Thompsons legacy will live on

just about to post the same thing..

Hunter S Thompson commits suicide

16:46 AEDT Mon Feb 21 2005

AP - Hunter S Thompson, the acerbic counterculture writer who popularised a new form of fictional journalism in books like Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, has fatally shot himself at his home in Colorado, his son said.

He was 67.

"Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, a personal friend of Thompson, confirmed the death to the News.

Juan Thompson found his father's body. Thompson's wife, Anita, was not home at the time.

Besides the 1972 drug-hazed classic about Thompson's time in Las Vegas, he is credited with pioneering New Journalism - or gonzo journalism - in which the writer made himself an essential component of the story.

very sad news. he was one of the true freaks of this world :mad:

Sad and powerful. He took himself out the same way as Hemingway. It makes reading his "What Lured Hemingway to Ketchum?" in a whole new light.

Better have a whiskey on him, and listen to some Cowboy Junkies tonight.

frown.gif

Hunter S. Thompson was one of the first beings i became aware that existed, that i was simply SO GLAD and releived to know existed at all..

And even though hearing the news of his suicide in the last half hour was shocking and sorrowful, at the same time i feel strangely happy -viewing the earth matrix / consciousness as One, and Hunter being a part of that, its as though this planet got to the point of unfolding, where it could let this brilliant being go...

[ 21. February 2005, 21:39: Message edited by: Being ]

double post..

[ 21. February 2005, 21:38: Message edited by: Being ]

I like the way you 'see' things Being.

Sad news but now he's finally immortalised and recognised by the standard majority.

If I had access to a gun in the past I wouldn't be here, but now I see there's a hell of a lot more I need to do here to earn my wings

BTW when you gonna put up some more of your inspirational art Being?

strange... apparently no suicide note... did he really kill himself?

Why would he?

or did someone else?

Maca:

If I had access to a gun in the past I wouldn't be here, but now I see there's a hell of a lot more I need to do here to earn my wings

Likewise... so i couldn't possibly judge the dude for taking himself out.. although i was a teenager at the time..

heh which reminds me of a thompson quote i read today from an article he wrote for Time Magazine 'Doomed Love at the Taco Stand' :

"They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage-girl trapped in the body of a 60-year old career criminal who has already died 16 times..."

Maca:

BTW when you gonna put up some more of your inspirational art Being?

I was just thinking recently the creativity forum could use an injection of some more art.. however all the new stuff i've done of late i have given away..

am house sitting for my parents at the mo and they have all my earlier paintings, and although a bit morbid are pretty interesting.. will post some tomorrow :)

[ 22. February 2005, 21:05: Message edited by: Being ]

gomaos:

Why would he?

or did someone else?

i was wondering thhat myself as the paper said 'shot himself' and didn't mention if it was on purpose or an accident!

i love all his books, movies, etc. and he will be truly missed by many!

a true freak!

RIP HST!

gomaos:

Why would he?

or did someone else?

hk

He did have a suicide note.

He was 67 with a broken leg and a damaged hip that was already surgaly repaired as much an

a possibly for a 67 year old man.

I am only suprised he used only a .45 calible and not something more dramatic like a .44 magnum.

I had a lot of pleasure from his writings.

quote:

I am only suprised he used only a .45 calible and not something more dramatic like a .44 magnum.

A .45 not dramatic ? I say he had good taste , at least he used a good old American calibre not some Euro neat 9mm. But for effect you couldn't go past a shotgun.

Being:

. however all the new stuff i've done of late i have given away..
this giving away thing is quite admirable :) like many others around here id be only to willing to purchase some of your art. maybe you should look at an ebay style auction it might suprise you as what can be made from such a talent besides the obvious satisfaction it must give to be able to produce such things.

the world has lost a great character but at least he lived hard and a lot fun doing it.

[ 24. February 2005, 16:01: Message edited by: shroomy ]

Originally posted by shroomy:

this giving away thing is quite admirable :) like many others around here id be only to willing to purchase some of your art. maybe you should look at an ebay style auction it might suprise you as what can be made from such a talent besides the obvious satisfaction it must give to be able to produce such things.

thanks for the comments and suggestion! I've suggested an auction for 2 works i'm so far willing to part with posted in the creativity forum. There will be more available after i pick up some other works from northern nsw this weekend.. stay tuned! :)

2benubee:

A .45 not dramatic ? I say he had good taste , at least he used a good old American calibre not some Euro neat 9mm. But for effect you couldn't go past a shotgun.

that's just tasteless. some poor bastard has to clean that shit up.

Maybe tasteless but then again maybe its in the spirit of Mr Thompson whom, i dont doubt, has done some pretty tasteless things in some peoples' eyes.

Tasteless? Well according to this he was on the phone to his wife at the time, and his son, daughter-in-law and 6yo grandson were in the house at the time.

RIP

^^ wow thats harsh .. uncertain how bbc validate their resources .. however they are unlikely to improvise in this event.

celebratory watching of fear and loathing on weekend..

maybe he just outlived his usefullness .. as we all eventually do.

frown.gif

I know this is a sad topic, but i would like to thank Skulking Lurker for providing me with a copy of Fear and Loathing on cd very much appreciated :D I have managed to transfer to the divx file to vcd and am offering to ppl a free copy of Fear and Loathing if they want one plz pm me!!

Spread the word of GONZO !!!!!!!!!

Very saddened to hear about his death and the circumstances. A human being who did things his own way. one of the great rebels.