The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
devance

Hoodia patent look

I could download the total patent but it is remarkable uninformative. So I will download the last section as I know thare is a interest.

No specific lesions were recorded in the liver sections from the experimental rats which received the frozen sap as well as the spray-dried sap that could be attributed to the oral adminstration of the abovementioned chemicals. The hydropic cell swelling recorded in both control and experimental rats may indicate normal metabolic cell swelling and anoxic changes. Minimal foci of lymphocytic perivascular cuffing were found in some animals and is most likely an incidental observation. In a few rats congestion of mild degree is present in the hepatic sinusoids and should be regarded as an incidental observation.

An important feature of the invention shown by the results of this study is that no tolerance to any of the samples developed over the test period. This may provide considerable benefit, particularly in relation to the use of the compounds and compositions of the invention in the treatment of obesity.

While the compounds and compositions of the invention have primarily been described in relation to their properties as appetite suppressants, it should be noted that this expression--"appetite suppressant"--is used herein to denote activity which tends to limit appetite and/or increase the sense of satiety, and thus tends to reduce total calorific intake; this in turn tends to counteract obesity. Accordingly, this invention extends to a method of treating, preventing or combating obesity in a human or non-human animal which comprises administering to said human or non-human animal an obesity treating, preventing or combating amount of a compound of formula (2). A preferred embodiment of this aspect of the invention utilises a composition or extract containing a compound of formula (1).

The term "animal" as used herein extends to, but is not restricted to, companion animals, e.g. household pets and domesticated animals; non-limiting examples of such animals include cattle, sheep, ferrets, swine, camels, horses, poultry, fish, rabbits, goats, dogs and cats.

As an anorectic agent or in the treatment or prevention of obesity in a human, a compound of formula (2), preferably of formula (1), or the composition defined in any one of claims 9 and 25-31 hereafter, is advantageously administered to said human in a dosage amount of from about 0.01 mg/kg/day to about 10 mg/kg/day. A preferred dosage range is 0.05 mg/kg/day to 0.5 mg/kg/day. When using the spray dried powder form of the extract of this invention, a preferred dosage range is 0.1 mg/kg/day to 20 mg/kg/day; especially preferred is 0.5 mg/kg/day to 5 mg/kg/day.

Does the patent say anything about the chemistry of the active constituent?

Dear Torsten,

the rest of the patent is simply filled with vague scietific references and has no information as to chemical structure, extraction, or anything else of any worth what so ever. It doesn't even make reference to a glucose simulator molecule.

So, have you ever come across any information about P57 other than the Biopharm blurbs and media rants?

Like, I can't even seem to pin down if it is an alkaloid or not.

Apparently two of the major hoodia pill distributors used a 20x extract in their pills that was later found to not contain any P57. I have asked a lab that does hoodia analysis, but they aren't in an information sharing mood (even though I paid for the analysis).

The reason I am asking is that I don't like taking the labs word for truth unless I understand it myself. So what I am looking for is a spectrograph of P57 or some other way of analysing it. Also, knowing what exactly the molecule is would be interesting.

Surely there must be some scientific information available as the commercial side if well enough protected by the patent.

http://164.195.100.11/netacgi/nph-Parser?S...oodia&RS=hoodia

This is a patent that comes up with the chemical strutures and more info./

It is known from International Patent Publication No. WO 98/46243 that extracts of certain plants of the genus Trichocaulon or Hoodia possess appetite suppressant properties. This document also discloses certain specific compounds which possess appetite suppressant activity. Among these is the compound 3-O-[-.beta.-D-thevetopyranosyl-(1.fwdarw.4)-.beta.-D-cymaropyranosyl-(1.f wdarw. 4)-.beta.-D-cymaropyranosyl]-12.beta.-O-tigloyloxy-14-hydroxy-14.beta.-pre gn-5-en-20-one; the structural formula of this compound is given as formula (1) in WO 98/46243. We have found that this compound is effective in reducing the secretion of gastric acid; accordingly, the compound finds application in the present invention. Derivatives of this compound are also effective in the present invention; such derivatives have the general formula ##STR2##

In case you want to do your own patent search which is free go to

http://www.uspto.gov/

and use hoodia as rhe search term. There are only two patents that come up.

Bugger! It's not just a simple indole alkaloid

Thanks for finding that. Interesting to note that derivatives also show activity.

So does anyone have a picture of this monster? (I'll check the patent myself in a moment... browser is flaking out).

oh goodie! This has everything I wanted! Thanks heaps.

Still having a problem finding a pic, but that's cos mozilla is having probs with the image page. Will try again later.

Is there any pleasurable psychoactivity or stimulation accompanying the appetite suppresion to distract the patient from thinking about food?

I ended up with a kilo of H. gordonii powder and made this tincture I'm thinking about bioassaying.

Tao knows, I'm skinny enough as it is...

I wonder if an extract would be vaporizable?

So many herbs; so little time.

[ 04. July 2004, 15:03: Message edited by: friendly ]

Originally posted by friendly:

Is there any pleasurable psychoactivity or stimulation accompanying the appetite suppresion to distract the patient from thinking about food?

Not really - and that is the main attraction.

I ended up with a kilo of H. gordonii powder and made this tincture I'm thinking about bioassaying.

I was thinking of making a tincture too, but decided against it. Not sure how good an acoholic extract would be anyway.

I wonder if an extract would be vaporizable?

Unlikely. Too many reactive functional groups.

[ 04. July 2004, 17:23: Message edited by: Torsten ]

The reason people don't die from smoking toad venom is that the steroid is not volatile and is destroyed. Here we have a steroid glu(y?)coside which will also be caramelised.

With saponins the usual thing is to make a hot water extract then leave it to cool until the saponins precipitate.

That Hoodia doco which a lot of people here have seen went on about it being an aphrodisiac. I assumed some sort of dopamine agonist effect at that point.

The obvious thing to do with glycosides is to hydrolyse them in a bid to separate the goodies (this applies not just to saponins, but commonly also to flavonoids and cyanides). You then face the decision whether to boil/reflux under acidic, neutral or alkaline conditions, and this is determined by such factors as the solubility of the target, and also the potential for damaging it. As a general rule, mixing ketone groups and alkalinity should be treated cautiously.