The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
nabraxas

jan. 27th Prince of Wales hotel, melbourne

The Prince in Fitzroy St?

Shit, I haven't had a beer there for about 15 yrs. It used to be a wild place, what's it like now?

ed

my melbourne geography is still pretty screwed--i don't drive, so i'm not sure, but i guess it's the same one.

it was still a bit ov a dive last time i went there.

i thought i heard it was closing down, so i doubt they've spent too much on the decor.

Its a great pub - was good new years. But its too small for Aphex Twin - i saw GOldie there and it was a nightmare in terms of room.

while we're on the subject ov pubs w/ "atmosphere", just a short walk from the Prince is the "Esplanade Hotel"---that's a really good pub/venue---also supposedly shutting down?

Anyone else remember The Prince of Wales, Bojangles, etc, 15-20yrs ago?

ed

I just did a quick aussie google and it seems St Kilda has changed a whole lot since then. For the better I must say, although that end of Fitzroy St and the lower esplenade offered many and varied forms of entertainment back in those days.

Actually there wasn't much you couldn't purchase late at night there.

Any comments or stories?

ed

[ 19. January 2004, 23:07: Message edited by: reshroomED ]

i stayed there as a backpacker in 1991---was good fun, but seemed pretty tame after the RIOT that was NYEve in Kings Cross, Sydney.

reshroomED:

Anyone else remember The Prince of Wales, Bojangles, etc, 15-20yrs ago?

Sure. I used to see a few bands at the Palace in the early 80s (that was upstairs at the POW, right)? Some names that spring to mind include Iggy Pop and the Gun Club. Bit of a goth/heroin chic scene at that point, I thought. Another memorable episode was going to see a drag show and making the mistake of wearing leather. Apparently, that must have been some sort of signal of which I was oblivious. Talk about harassment ... It gave me an insight into how it must be for women a lot of the time.

[ 24. January 2004, 07:47: Message edited by: John_Barleycorn ]

I remember seeing Nick the Dick (Cave) there before he went off to England and got his bad seeds.

I actually used to go there to see my friends play in the Editions and Second Editions once the Editions got banned.

Now days they all hang out at the Greyhound on the Nepean Hwy and call themselves the Fuck Fucks, Shonky Tonks or just Freddy and the Fuckanuckle Choir.

Harkening back to Fitzroy St, I had some times there, I once recall picking up a young lady with rather large sweat glands, she seemed more wasted than I, and the first words which passed her lips were, "Do you want a free suck?"

How was I to know she was playing pool with a bulge of her own in her centre pocket?

JumpedAngel:

I remember seeing Nick the Dick (Cave) there before he went off to England and got his bad seeds.

Yeah, the Birthday Party practically owned the alternative boho St Kilda scene whenever they were in town. I actually saw the Boys Next Door more (giving my age away here)! They were quite possibly the most visibly drug-f*cked band I have ever seen, just glowering impassively at the crowd with bulging eye-balls and speed written all over them. As was a lot of the audience ...

i remember seeing nick the dick at high school...