The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Splatt

Wanted Kratom seedling

Has anyone got any Kratom (Mitragyna speciosa)seedlings for sale/or swap for somni - seeds?

Cheers

Splatt

hmmmm...

does anyone here know how old kratom trees have to be to set seed?

wouldn't have a clue...

The other interesting question is whether the trees are self fertile- or even monoecious ( some of the Rubiaceae are I believe, not sure abooot kratom... )A quick search on this hasn't been any help

If they aren't self fertile, start looking at doing pollen swaps with Thailand or anywhere else it grows once local plants have flowered. I believe there is some good info on these forums about pollen storage and transportation, and I hope its survived over the years.

Providing this species stays legal, I'll be working on re-establishing genetic diversity into the local population. As far as I know all plants in Australia atm are derived from one cloned individual.

When we started, the short term priority was to establish viable plants- longer term attention to genetic diversity has always been on our agenda and I hope that it goes into the public domain as well

tort answered once this q here once,

he said kratom matures early.

we all hope for seeds one day...

so far lucca jama is the only one i ever knew who had kratom seeds, ask him for seeds...

and if anyone has Luca's current e-mail addy, please let me know.

The flowers look like Naucela orientalis in the Thai pics..

Is N orientalis self fertile?

The seeds are sooo tiny i wonder how long they are viable for?

When I first got the seeds I was told like ten days or something- it wasn't very long.

Whether or not that's ultimately true might be dependent on other things- there were some interesting factors around seed pod morphology, which, once I release the paper on its TC, might shed some useful light for further viability research

Splatt, Kratom plant is the king of the entheo.

everybody on this website want one one day ! :P

his rarety on the internet and his contradictory effects (cocaine/opiate )make him famous.

without a few peoples who say they have one, i would think it is a myth.

so if you really expect some seeds, then you have to be patient or/and find contact in asia.

ps; anyway i thanks this plant to exist, this is how i meet Tosten and sab ! :D

Thanks for the info everyone - I wasn't really after seeds I actually wrote seedlings. Do you really think - noone would have this plant available in Australia? It sure would be good to get some for cloning.

Splatt:

I wasn't really after seeds I actually wrote seedlings.

Yeah, but you got threadjacked- sorry :)

Do you really think - noone would have this plant available in Australia?

People do have them, but are unlikely to admit to it atm due to its uncertain legal status ( the post- meeting gazette from the TGA is due out soon and they were planning to put them under Schedule 9- ridiculous )

I was cloning them sterile for several years, but am currently having probs bringing them back from a kind of senesence, a wilt virus or something. Results are more promising than they were a few months ago and I think we have a lead, but need to rebuild numbers again for sale even if they remain legal. If they don't, I will delete them as a sale item altogether

I have a kratom plant that's about 3' or 4' tall with many side branches. I have some cuttings rooting but unfortunately can not send them overseas being in the states. You are not going to find any seedlings only rooted cuttings if you are lucky. I bought some kratom seeds last year and not a one sprouted. There was someone in oz who was doing tissue culture on them and selling the plants in bulk. When and if my kratom ever flowers and sets seed I will offer fresh seed but don't hold your breath waiting. I don't even know if they are self fertile and about all you can get anymore is the rifat strain cuttings.

Stoney

Originally posted by Stonehenge:

I bought some kratom seeds last year and not a one sprouted.

They are only viable for a few days... few weeks maximum.

There was someone in oz who was doing tissue culture on them

Darklight (see last post)

and selling the plants in bulk.

Me (ie SAB)

about all you can get anymore is the rifat strain cuttings.

I know of quite a few other seed grown individuals, although they are not in australia (but luckily also not in thailand ). I see no problem in getting some genetic diversity in the future.