The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

East Timor gains independence on the 20th.

The birth of East Timor has brought a lot of the dirty international politics of the last few decades into the light. Especially the US involvement into the initial invasion by Indonesia and the way US and Australian arms helped to suppress the East Timor independence movement. The mass graves, the torture, the oppression and suffering these people had to endure while australia was kissing indonesia's ass and the US encouraged arms trades.

It is sickening. But it is also a proud moment for this nation and they couldn't have picked a better date for their birthday wink.gif

I was talking to Daniel about east Timor tonite and we feel that we should try to do a little bit for this country. Firstly, we will spend some tourist dollars there rather than going to Fiji as we originally intended. Secondly, while there we will look for ways how we can establish a small business or farm there, that will provide employment and currency exchange. We would love to hear from anyone who has been there, has contacts there or can in some other way help us do the right thing. This is a country and a people who have fought hard for freedom and peace, but we all know that poverty breeds problems in the democratic process. We should all help out in ways other than simply paying taxes for the peacekeepers.

Guest Thelema

T:

What are the drug laws in East timor?

No idea. But it doesn't really matter cos we are looking at more of a medicinal herbal industry there rather than shamanic. I would presuem that the laws would initially be very australian.

Another issue darklight pointed out was that they may not have tolerant laws in regards to sexual preference, in which case we would scrap our idea.

... they may not have tolerant laws in regards to sexual preference, in which case we would scrap our idea.

isn't that a bit extreme? we all know that the people are not responsible for the laws of the government ... wouldn't this be "punishing" the people for the sins of the lawmakers?

surely you could look beyond that ...

monday night: SBS, 7:30p Children of the Crocodile ... story of two east timorese in the wake of independence

[This message has been edited by earthalchemy (edited 19 May 2002).]

Originally posted by Torsten:

Another issue darklight pointed out was that they may not have tolerant laws in regards to sexual preference, in which case we would scrap our idea

I don't think they'd really give a phuck.

Timor was a popular "sex holiday place" when it was still under indonesian rule and i think they'd be pretty liberal regarding all sexual things as long as it brings in tourist dollars...

(and NO I've never been there)