The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

TGA is on the war path - GBL

GBL and related compounds are proposed for scheduling in June. If there is no opposition this will go through a few months later just the same way salvia did. As GHB is already S9 it is likely that GBL will also be S9. It is also unlikely that any argument that applies to GHB would help the GBL cause. Quite the contrary.

What are your ideas on what the argu(e?)ments are for not scheduling GHB ? Whatever they are, it's either they didn't work, or our government sucks in terms of drug policy. That's not exactly breaking news though.

Guest Thelema

Yes, 2 questions:

How can we come up with a good reason to petition them with?

Where can I get some GBL?

All us poor narcoleptics being deprived of our health supplements! Then they'll bring out something like Xyrem.!!!

Why do I have the feeling those who propose these laws get their ideas right here on these forums?

Because they do.

The way they decide what to make illegal as a drug is by watching what people are using as drugs. They look at the hospital reports, they look at the drug policies of other countries, they look at modern phytochemistry and designer drug chemistry work, and yes they look at the data being shared on the internet to see what their people are using as drugs.

P.S. You can use politicians as a drug, just dessicate them, grind them to a powder and snort them wink.gif

OK maby they wont fall for that one, but it was worth a try.

Oh Yeah... I'm behind on the non-chemist drug lingo so help me out will ya. I know GHB refers to the gamma-hydroxybutyrate ion (presumably sodium gamma-hydroxybutyrate or similar), but what are you talking about when you say GBL? Is that gamma-butyrolactone, or am I way off?

[This message has been edited by Auxin (edited 10 May 2002).]

The arguments for legalising GHB are that it is a wonderful and quite safe, medication to ensure deep and resting sleep, especially for older people. There are also various bodybuildiung benefits and it's use as a social drug (similar to alcohol). But it is the danger of combining it with alcohol that has given it such a bad name and has caused it to become illegal.

I think the only way to lobby for it would be to push the therapeutic values. This would not help GBL though, as the TGA generally doesn't like peole cooking up their own medications wink.gif

Auxin, you're spot on.

The only way to stop this ridiculous anti-drug-legislation is to throw out the stupid faschist reactionary Liberal/National Government next elections.

But with Labour still offering no alternative, and the greens as disorganised as ever, what chance do we have?

And yes, GBL has excellent therapeutic value for example as an Aid to get off alcohol.

It's helped me greatly.

And now these mothafuckas are gonna make it illegal....arrgrr...I wanna kill...killl.killl...

I think I hit reply w/ quote instead of edit, or maybe it decided to double post instead of edit. Either way, I have to put up this message so that the 2 pictures that I got right won't take up space. Not being able to delete your posts is a double edged sword. So is a double edged sword.

Oh yeah, forgot to say, GHB isn't an ion, it's a molecule. A damn fine molecule at that.

[This message has been edited by DaNozz Direct (edited 10 May 2002).]

DaNozz, first I know what they look like, I'm a chemist for christs sake, second you don't know what they look like! You just copied an erronious picture from somewhere.

That pic you labeled gamma-hydroxybutyrate is really gamma-hydroxybutyric acid. Did you graduate high shcool? If you did you should know the difference between a carboxylate ion and a free carboxylic acid. Follow IUPAC nomenclature: gamma-hydroxybutyrate means

HOCH2CH2CH2CO2-

IT IS AN ION like acetate, butyrate, benzoate, naphthoate.

Ok, its not your fault I know you were trying to help, thanks for the attempt. Maby someone should send erowid the proper pic. Lesson for the day- DON'T put too much trust in erowids data! Try looking in the CRC instead, or any real chemistry reference book for that matter.

[This message has been edited by Auxin (edited 11 May 2002).]

ha-ha!

don't you two start again.....

actually, I meant Nozz. Don't you remember how you got booted from here?? And that's all I'm saying before the whole thing gets brought up again and theo goes all parental wink.gif

I remember why I got booted, but all I remember is you saying you have thick skin. And some dude saying 1mg atropine is enough to start your heart.

I remember everything...

but I shut up abut it...

because I'm a cool dude, hey...

but I really meant to say,

it absolutely sucks if GBL becomes illegal because it's just so helpful sometimes...

I don't really want to go into detail here, but it's been very helpful to me at times...and yes , CS, your stuff is really cool,

so get some while you can muthafuckas...

[This message has been edited by gomaos (edited 20 May 2002).]

Hey Tristan,I remember exactly what happened.I think you were the naughtiest

pharmacy delivery boy around were,nt you?