The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Salvia in the Sydney Morning Herald

On friday I was approached to give an interview about salvia for the SMH. For numerous reasons (including legal ones) i declined to a verbal interview, but agreed to an e-mail exchange. I also gave a very condensed (media friendly) version of traditional use and a political statement re the TGA and herb freedom.

The journo did not get back to me however, which I was somewhat relieved about. She had a 6pm deadline for friday, so I presume it is in sat or sun SMH.

I just hope she doesn't write such deceptive crap as was recently printed in our local paper, where a prominent australian herb trader described salvia consumption as no more than 'clearing your head'.

Didn't see it in today's. Maybe it's in tomorrow's.

I'd guess that it probably won't make it at all tho'. I mean, is it really that newsworthy (I mean, to the greater australian public)?

I'll keep my eyes open.

Which prominent herb dealer?

[This message has been edited by Gwydion (edited 27 April 2002).]

There is no Sunday SMH. And I couldn't find it in Saturday's weekend edition anywhere ( doesn't mean it wasn't in it )

Gwydion it's of interest b/c the subject has wonderful media beat-up in many directions, New Drug Appears On Streets or even the more reasonable anti-prohibition standpoint, SMH has on rare occasions presented balanced and reasonable articles ( did anyone see the latest Richard Neville offering a couple of weeks ago? The bloke hasn't written anything but vague hippy crap for years and then he comes out with this FANTASTIC analysis of US role in the War On Anyone We Want To )

After all, MardiGrass 2002 is on next weekend, its not unreasonable to expect drug oriented stories to appear for the next week or so

I'd be checking Monday's paper. Apart from news, Saturdays paper is probably put to bed roundabout Wednesday Thursday as its mostly lifestyle stuff that doesn't change or will stay on hold a few days. As with the questions they posed you Torsten, it could appear anytime in the next fortnight if it doesn't end up being shelved.

"There is no Sunday SMH"

Oops. Yeah, I know, I was thinking of monday's actually. I work on Sundays, so the day doesn't really exist for me anymore.

I guess I just regard Salvia as a particularly low profile 'drug', even with it's imminent prohibition (although it has become a lot better known of late). I was thinking that there wasn't really much to be said about it that would catch the eye of the public, but I suppose I reckoned without journalistic imagination.

Yeah, that Richard Neville article (and the one he wrote a year ago) took me totally by surprise. This kind of journalism ought not be within the reach of the ordinary public. Heavens! They might even start to think, or something!

Hey Nozz, I was thinking of the children. Give them all borrachero and send them to bed.

don't think so. She never contacted me again. Probably a good thing.