The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
-YT-

Psychedellic Guitar Rock

I just wanted to ask if anyone could recommend any Psychedellic rock especially guitar solos and such i just can't get enough of the 60's - 70's wicked guitar solos I LOVE the Doors, and just started getting into Jimi Hendrix and anything else would be great - also in FLLV wen Dr Gonzo is in the bath tub and Thompson 1st walks in there is sum wicked guitar action going on does anyone know wat it is????

Psychedellic Guitar is the SHIT!!!!!! :D

Wolfmother

and they're aussie

The song your thinking of is White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane - album was surrealistic pillow i think. Check them out if you're into old school hippy music :)

Wolfmother are awesome! saw them at the bigday out. They're doing a national tour at the moment, I'll be seeing them again this thursday! -together with wolf and cub who are also pretty awesome.

If you're more into progressive rock (like pink floyd or Led Zep) check out Mars Volta (It's prog but NOTHING like pink floyd) I'd call them THE psychedelc band of recent times.

Also if you're into all that psychedelic keyboard stuff check out The Stranglers. I really like the track 'down in the sewer' and ev4erybody knows the song 'peaches' right? it was in a bonds ad i think.

I wouldn't call Rocket Science a 'psychedelic' band but I really dig their sound esp. the keyboards.

Now to a totally different sound but definitely psychedelic in nature (IMO) you can't go past TOOL!

This could become a nice thread methinks. Everyone ad their suggestions! (maybe not just the traditional 60's psychedelic sound)

It's hard to surpass THE DOOR'S and HENDRIX when it comes to 60's rock/psych, they both combined good lyrics with excellent music. A lot of other bands fell short in one of these areas.

Some other guitar based ones worth checking out are SANTANA, CREAM and while not really psychedelic, Alvin Lee from TEN YEAR'S AFTER was a great guitar player, I love "I'm Coming On!" .

For heavier psych music, I always think it's hard to go past KYUSS, they left QOTSA in the dust.

Some other 60's albums I like are LOVE's "Forever Changes", it takes a couple of listens because it's very 60's sounding, MOBY GRAPE's self-titled effort and one of the best pysch albums of all time IMO is the 13TH FLOOR ELEVATOR's "Easter Everywhere". They weren't poseur's and really believed in the cause and pushed the envelope and Roky, the lead singer, payed the price by ending up in an insane asylum. They also wrote the first rock song about DMT called "Fire Engine", - 'Let me take you to de empty place!'

Some "WHOAAHH" moments for me have occurred listening to -

IRON BUTTERFLY - "In-a-gadda-da-vida", sad but true.

PINK FLOYD - Ummagumma -"Several species of small furry animals", very freaky.

CHOCOLATE WATCHBAND - "No Way Out" - sums up tripping nicely, "Gossamer Wings" - especially coming down.

Psychedelic music covers a whole bunch of different music styles, from folk to punk to dance. I guess ultimately it's in the "ear of the behearer" or in the mind! But I'd definately classify ROCKET SCIENCE's first album "Welcome aboard the 3c10" as a garage/psych gem.

strangebrew:

For heavier psych music, I always think it's hard to go past KYUSS, they left QOTSA in the dust.

Hmm, the imagery "Songs for the Deaf" conjures in my imagination would place QOTSA, at least SftD, pretty high in my psych guitar/rock list.

QOTSA, some Tool songs(especially the Led Zeppelin cover No Quarter, Reflection etc), Hawkwind, etc. When I get home if you like I'll put up my playlist so you can see some of the music I listen to (I listen to a crapload of acid rock psychedelic rock etc).

Behold and be envious wolfmother fans, for I saw them live at BDO drunk as an irishman sitting next to some hippies with a joint thicker than my thumb.

And am seeing them Sunday May 8 at the Gaelic Club. Saturday is sold out.

EDIT: Also, both Dark Side of the Moon and Dub Side of the Moon are awesome...although only one is by PF :P

[ 23. April 2005, 06:00: Message edited by: apothecary ]

probably not really psychedelic guitar rock but definitely worth checkin out are Tomahawk! Their first album is great, havent heard much of the second - apart from the bird song.

Fantomas are another band worth listening to. I like their cover of the godfather theme and the horror movie themes (the omen etc...). Great stuff!

Are there any kraut-rock afficionado's?

Has Can's - "Mothersky" ever been bettered?

You could check out a Japanese band named 'Eternal Elysium' especially Trick or Steal (song that I absolutely love).

the japanese seem to rock some pretty old school flavours. was listening to some japanese music a mate from hong kong had and it was very 80s metal with huge super tempo solos etc

got some japanese psychedelic stuff from 70s recently and some of it is not bad.

soulseek is the place to check after you buy the record and want to download the tracks so you can listen on your computer.

definately not rock,

dont laugh, but anyone heard beach boys 'pet sounds'?

i find that the trippiest album ive heard!!!

i believe that brian wilson? at that time was sponsoring the manson gang!!!correct me if im wrong...but def worth a listen to!!! :cool:

Thanks for starting this topic! Maybe I'll get some good leads out of it too! (no pun intended)

www.trickywoo.com

They have some scorching guitar solos. I saw them live a few months ago and still haven't regained all of my hearing!

www.deathfromabove1979.com

A 2 peice band (Drum and Bass) but have tons of gain on everything!

I'd recommend old Smashing Pumpkins too, lot's of Wah, Flanger and other effects.

Keep on Rocking in the Free World!

Jono - It was Dennis Wilson.

'Pet Sounds' is a classic. Wish I got of my arse to see Brian Wilson, it was supposed to have been excellent.

Some other good bands to check out are:

13th Floor Elevators, The Electric Prunes, HP Lovecraft, The Pretty Things, Amon Du II, Amboy Dukes.

I love psychedelic music (especially the eastern infulenced sitar stuff).

Here's a site worth checking out for info on old psych stuff:

http://homepages.tesco.net/~beautiful.day/index2.htm

Thanks Zu! I know where I'll be spending a lot of time. :D

You forgot the Seeds.

If you like eastern sounds, one of my favs is The Devil's Anvil, they made one album called Hard Rock from the Middle East - excellent stuff.

cool thread

Love are one of the best 60's psychedelic bands IMO

also the beach boys are fucking great Brain Wilson is a genius pet sounds and smiley smile are two classics (i love the beach boys)

i agree the stranglers are great as well

how about the pop stuff done by psychic tv...

not really psychedelic but great 60's folk, Donavon...

and the all time dada inspired band called the Bonzo Doh Dah Dog Band and there album Gorilla.

it is great LSd inspired music and apparently was influential on Paul McCartney and John lennon and the Beatles Album, Sargeant Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

if you can check them out they are hoot!

on the topic of brian wilson what do people think about "smile"?

i really wanted to like it but couldnt get into it. sounded too wanky and not crazy enough.

"holland" is a classic beach boys album for me.

i think smile has some good tracks

i agree holland is a good one

my mum was a hooge beach boys fan,grew up with it ,beach boys was everywhere,,she has all the original albums, its good shite eh?? :cool:

can zis one be deleted??sorry guys..

[ 29. April 2005, 02:06: Message edited by: jono ]

of topic of guitar rock,,but a psychedellic performer in my opinion that i dig is tricky, specially the 'angels with dirty faces' cd..

i reckon he would be wicked on an acid trip if one was so inclined... :cool:

Trip-hop e.g. Portishead, is very good as I recently discovered if you are so inclined. :D

I can't think of any western sitar/psych I've really liked, Indians do it better.

I have found some good sitar/jazz though - Ananda Shankar, Dave Pike's German period, a record I found in an op-shop called Curried Jazz.

And Donovan's 'Season of the Witch' is fantastic, up there with 'White Rabbit' IMO.

check out parliament funk with the song maggot brain, great guitar solo, goes for about 10 minutes.

King Crimson are good (like a led zeppelin on in the court of the crimson king, but more experimental).

Modern day pychedelia check out The Warlocks.