The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
azza

cacti suspension culture?

just a thought, does anyone know of any research that has been done with the production of cacti alkaloids via tissue culture, cf. codine produced for pharmacueticals via suspension culture? Any research done in this field would be huge...but i'm interested if it has been done and if it were possible, in your own opinion.

I've been wondering the same thing.

Commercial, pharmaceutical coedine from suspension culture of papaver presumably? Sheesh last time I even looked at suspension culture ( long time ago )the only things produced from suspension culture of papaver was norsanguinarine.

Still I spose things have moved on from then. Any refs?

any refs?

not here in front of me, but i can find some for you if you want.

not sure of the plant source for codeine, i will find that also.

another pharm produced via suspension i know of is the tropane alkaloids from belladonna.

i personally think that it would be possible to produce alkaloids via suspension culture in cacti. such methods may even allow for greater yeild than with standard plant material. however i also know of the amount of research that is required frown.gif

I was under the impression that more common than suspension culture was the use of genetically engineered bacteria or fungi (yeasts?). Insert the necessary genes and extract the goodies from the liquid drained off the bottom.

If true, as biotechnology becomes more available I'm sure it will revolutionise the black market drug trade...