The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ramon

Mescaline in opuntia species.

Guest Ramon

Can anyone out there confirm that some opuntia contain mescaline

No, but some literature seems to suggest there is. Probably in very low quantities if they do unless it is all a very well kept secret...

confused.gif

Guest reville

anyone had any luck grafting slow growing species ie lophophora, pelecyphora ariocarpus onto garden variety opuntia??

These species contain mescaline:

O. acanthocarpa

O. basilaris

O. echinocarpa

O. ficus-indica

O. imbricata

O. spinosior

The highest reading was 0.01% in O. acanthocarpa and O. basilaris. O. cylindrica was said to contain relatively high concentrations of mescaline, but it is generally accepted that the plants tested where in fact Trichocereus pachanoi. Properly identified O. cylindrica was found to have no mescaline.

I have heard that one can graft onto Opuntia species, but it would appear one would have to cut the plant at the very base of the "paddle" to do so. With other plants available for bases I can not really see the need to use Opuntias.

Michael

The mescaline in opuntia story likely comes from the mis-IDed Trichocereus MS mentioned plus the stories that some Sth American tribes used to add Opuntia to their ayahuasca, but stopped doing so because it was "too strong" (!)... the latter is probably still worthy of investigation...

Originally posted by M S Smith:

I have heard that one can graft onto Opuntia species, but it would appear one would have to cut the plant at the very base of the "paddle" to do so.  

Michael

Not all Opuntia's are paddle shaped {I believe} and I heard that some are great for grafting on as some have tremendous growth rates for graft stocks.

E D

Guest reville

ED

would you mind contiuing that line of discussion?

Do you remember what species make good stock and which species make good grafts?

rev

I'm not sure if some of these are fast growers (probably fast enough for lophos) but here are some Cholla type (non-pad) Opuntias:

Opuntia bigelovii

Opuntia imbricata (seems like a fast grower)

Opuntia leptocaulis

and Opuntia macrorhiza (I think?)

Some of these contain mescaline as well...

I'll have a better search for confirmations on the above and for some other ones.

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 31 August 2000).]

Damn Ed you are right, I suppose I got caught up in the stereotype that all Opuntia are paddle shaped. Dah, what was I thinking.

Anyhow, from the literature I have noticed only those I mentioned as containing mescaline. Could you please let me know references about possible mescaline in the species you mentioned?

Michael

Originally posted by M S Smith:

{Damn Ed you are right, I suppose I got caught up in the stereotype that all Opuntia are paddle shaped. Dah, what was I thinking.}

Easy mistake to make, I noticed it only because I had just been reading about it(with pictures)on a web site.

{Anyhow, from the literature I have noticed only those I mentioned as containing mescaline. Could you please let me know references about possible mescaline in the species you mentioned?}

The only possible one being Opuntia imbricata in my list. The others in my list are just cholla types and it didn't mention if they contained mescaline.

Trout's notes mentiones your list of mescaline Opuntias (I'm sure you are familiar with the Notes wink.gif ) and the Visionary cacti web site mentions some others without much reference.

http://www.shaman-australis.com/visionarycacti/

Sorry it was basically a list of some cholla types. frown.gif

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 05 September 2000).]

M S Smith:

These species contain mescaline:

O. acanthocarpa

O. basilaris

O. echinocarpa

O. ficus-indica

O. imbricata

O. spinosior

The highest reading was 0.01% in O. acanthocarpa and O. basilaris.  O. cylindrica was said to contain relatively high concentrations of mescaline, but it is generally accepted that the plants tested where in fact Trichocereus pachanoi.  Properly identified O. cylindrica was found to have no mescaline.

I have heard that one can graft onto Opuntia species, but it would appear one would have to cut the plant at the very base of the "paddle" to do so.  With other plants available for bases I can not really see the need to use Opuntias.

Michael

That's interesting...O. ficus indica grows everywere where I live...do you have any extra information please?

Thanks,

Salah

Perhaps opuntia species like trichocereus have got concentrated the mescaline in their green skins. Perhpas future analysis will shows higher concetrations. (0,1% or more?)

If you have read "ayahuasca analogues" where Ott confirm that mescaline is potentiated by IMAOs like harmaline/harmine, the litle concentration of mescaline from opuntias would be very interesting.

the opuntias that you say are so hardy not like lolophora or trichocereus.

brilliant!

you can also graft the left over bottom half of a seedling upside down onto another piece of cactus and so double your plants in the firts graft. The bottom section will pup around the scion/stock union and these can be grafted onto new stock or left to grow longer.

Ive seen it done with Astrophytum.